Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2023, 05:38 AM

65 posts, read 54,847 times

Advertisements

My mother is moving to Pittsburgh to be closer to family. We're having trouble finding a place for her to live that would ideally meet her needs.

- She's 65, retiree, and able-bodied.

- Prefer a 1 or 2 bedroom.

- Open to purchasing a condo or renting an existing condo/apartment/townhouse.

- Prefer a place with a garage or covered parking so she doesn't have to scrape ice and snow off her car in the frigid mornings.

- Prefer a place with some level of secure entry (e.g. key fob or key to the main door) as she feels safer with apartment-style living (lived in apartments her whole life as opposed to houses).

- Open to any options in the city.

- Someplace relatively safe and quiet.

We've considered Park Plaza or Amberson Towers in Oakland but would like a few more options and ideas, please! Anybody know anything about Highland House Tower by Albion? Where do other people of her age generally live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2023, 06:40 AM

1,910 posts, read 736,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noblerare View Post
My mother is moving to Pittsburgh to be closer to family. We're having trouble finding a place for her to live that would ideally meet her needs.

Where do other people of her age generally live?
The suburbs.

Old 09-15-2023, 07:21 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,693,044 times
A called Barrington in Oakdale is nice and relatively quiet. Close to the Panhandle Trail which is my favorite.

Old 09-15-2023, 08:17 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,129,732 times
Not in the city but not far either, Bellevue/Avalon has some condo or similar options. Not sure the price ranges considering. My mother bought a 2 bed small condo in Avalon a couple years ago that is adult only and meets most of those, nothing currently up for sale or rent though in her place but there are a few complexes like that in the area with ones that come up time to time.

Old 09-15-2023, 07:02 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,962,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggiezz View Post
The suburbs.
I couldn't agree more. Can't imagine living in the city at that age and not having several million laying around. Best to be in the burbs that are way safer and just betting on every level. Love the diversity in the burbs so no bullying by the..well people that like to bully if you don't think like them.

Old 09-15-2023, 07:14 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I couldn't agree more. Can't imagine living in the city at that age and not having several million laying around. Best to be in the burbs that are way safer and just betting on every level. Love the diversity in the burbs so no bullying by the..well people that like to bully if you don't think like them.
The good thing about living in Oakland, for example, would be that you'd be a mile or so from numerous hospitals/medical offices; lectures at numerous nearby museums and colleges; great restaurants; and would get to ride PRT buses for free as a senior citizen. She could also be proximate to Phipps Conservatory for a therapeutic pick-me-up during the gray winter doldrums. I would not hesitate to buy a 1-BR condo someday around North Neville Street once my husband and I are elderly.

I know some of you on here think the entire city is in some sort of San Francisco-esque death spiral due to failed social policies, but that's only SOME neighborhoods like Knoxville, Marshall-Shadeland, Beltzhoover, Lincoln-Lemington, and a few others. The vast majority of the city is fine---stable or improving.

Old 09-16-2023, 06:30 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,962,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noblerare View Post
Anybody know anything about Highland House Tower by Albion? Where do other people of her age generally live?
I knew two elderly people that lived there and it is a very good location. Walk around the park and you can walk to a very small business district and coffee shop. It is also much quieter than anything in Oakland. Highland Park in general is just a very nice place to be.

Old 09-21-2023, 07:59 PM

4,581 posts, read 3,406,618 times
I think you need to be catholic for this venue, but my grandmother spent her remaining years in a senior living tower off of Itin Street on Spring Hill, killer view of downtown from the observation deck.

Old 09-23-2023, 09:06 AM

151 posts, read 348,332 times
Chatham Village. It's a co-op, not a condo. Website says there's a 3BR for sale now, so your Mom might want to wait until a smaller unit comes up for sale. It's not gated, but it feels like its own neighborhood.

Old 09-25-2023, 07:26 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,693,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinExPat View Post
Chatham Village. It's a co-op, not a condo. Website says there's a 3BR for sale now, so your Mom might want to wait until a smaller unit comes up for sale. It's not gated, but it feels like its own neighborhood.
Love Chatham Village. The HOA fees are astronomical I believe, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh