Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 08:54 AM

2,039 posts, read 6,321,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Perhaps if the members on the Pittsburgh sub-forum had the same love of their area that we on the Northeastern Pennsylvania sub-forum do, then you wouldn't be so **** of the city's outstanding architecture. I've only been to the Steel City twice, but I've truly become infatuated with it from afar due to its amazing historic ambiance. On my own sub-forum my dozens of photo tours sparked no fewer than a half-dozen others to also start posting photos of their communities so that now NEPA has thousands of images on this forum alone for others to research and enjoy. Where are all of the photos of Pittsburgh on this forum? Steve-O has posted an AMAZING mega-thread on the suburban Chicago forum featuring hundreds of images. With all of the intellect I see stewing around on the Pittsburgh sub-forum, it amazes me that there are so few photographers. Your city is gorgeous, yet all people on this forum think of are declining industry, gray hair, and uneducated-sounding accents because there's no uplifting photos here to counter that negativity. People thought the same about Scranton too until I started posting my photo tours. Now we're being viewed as an up-and-coming part of the BosWash Corridor. A picture truly can say 1,000 words.

I, ScranBarre, challenge the regulars of the Pittsburgh forum to each snap at least one dozen photos of your respective neighborhoods, and then compile them into a "Pittsburgh Photo Thread" sticky that a moderator can assist with. One need not a digital camera. All you need is the ability to somehow scan images into your PC, the ability to open up a free account on an image-hosting site (I've been thrilled with PhotoBucket), and a couple of hours to spare some Sunday afternoon. Show us the real Pittsburgh---not the negative side that all the Debbie Downers on here love to rant and rave about!
That's actually a great idea! It would be great to have an address to go with it so we could type into our Garmin and find these places. I know there are nice areas of Pittsburgh, unfortunately, it appears *to me* that there are more "gritty" areas than clean areas. This is just my own opinion and observation. It is subjective. What I find appealing, others may not. But agreed, there are definitely nice areas around, and the kept up historic homes are breath-taking.

Last edited by sunrico90; 07-15-2008 at 07:49 PM.. Reason: Mod deleted rude
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 08:54 AM

2,193 posts, read 5,801,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Perhaps if the members on the Pittsburgh sub-forum had the same love of their area that we on the Northeastern Pennsylvania sub-forum do, then you wouldn't be so **** of the city's outstanding architecture. I've only been to the Steel City twice, but I've truly become infatuated with it from afar due to its amazing historic ambiance. On my own sub-forum my dozens of photo tours sparked no fewer than a half-dozen others to also start posting photos of their communities so that now NEPA has thousands of images on this forum alone for others to research and enjoy. Where are all of the photos of Pittsburgh on this forum? Steve-O has posted an AMAZING mega-thread on the suburban Chicago forum featuring hundreds of images. With all of the intellect I see stewing around on the Pittsburgh sub-forum, it amazes me that there are so few photographers. Your city is gorgeous, yet all people on this forum think of are declining industry, gray hair, and uneducated-sounding accents because there's no uplifting photos here to counter that negativity. People thought the same about Scranton too until I started posting my photo tours. Now we're being viewed as an up-and-coming part of the BosWash Corridor. A picture truly can say 1,000 words.

I, ScranBarre, challenge the regulars of the Pittsburgh forum to each snap at least one dozen photos of your respective neighborhoods, and then compile them into a "Pittsburgh Photo Thread" sticky that a moderator can assist with. One need not a digital camera. All you need is the ability to somehow scan images into your PC, the ability to open up a free account on an image-hosting site (I've been thrilled with PhotoBucket), and a couple of hours to spare some Sunday afternoon. Show us the real Pittsburgh---not the negative side that all the Debbie Downers on here love to rant and rave about!
Funny you should mention this, as I was contemplating heading into Pittsburgh over the next couple of days to start snapping pictures

Last edited by sunrico90; 07-15-2008 at 07:48 PM.. Reason: Mod Delete rude

Old 07-15-2008, 08:56 AM

3,041 posts, read 4,999,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
The Pittsburgh History and Landmarks Foundation has some free downloadable walking tour brochures dealing with notable Pittsburgh buildings: Pittsburgh History & Landmarks Foundation » Tours & Events
Thanks. Some of those places look pretty interesting.

Old 07-15-2008, 09:00 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by londonbarcelona View Post
That's actually a great idea! It would be great to have an address to go with it so we could type into our Garmin and find these places. I know there are nice areas of Pittsburgh, unfortunately, it appears *to me* that there are more "gritty" areas than clean areas. This is just my own opinion and observation. It is subjective. What I find appealing, others may not. But agreed, there are definitely nice areas around, and the kept up historic homes are breath-taking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugdogmaster View Post
Funny you should mention this, as I was contemplating heading into Pittsburgh over the next couple of days to start snapping pictures
I'm well aware of the beautiful images of PittsburghSkyline, but I appreciate even more the amateur photos you can find all over this forum. I feel like I've been to Greenville, SC and Evanston, IL without ever setting foot in either place. I saw parts of Syracuse and its inner suburbs I never knew existed. I'm sure others can say the same about Scranton and the Poconos as well. I believe the formerly-active member Evergrey posted a nice tour or two of parts of the city, but for a city with over 300,000 residents in a metropolitan area several times that size, there are many, many more areas to be seen, explored, and enjoyed by those on this forum. Suburbanites should feel free to join in on this future sticky thread as well. I may not be a fan of the cul-de-sacs of Cranberry Township, Butler County, but as Katiana said the other day "not everyone is a city mouse."

You can find Pittsburgh images on the non-forum version of City-Data, and you can find them on professional sites like PittsburghSkyline, but there's no reason why a city as beautiful (and ugly) as Pittsburgh should have such little amateur representation on this forum.

Old 07-15-2008, 10:01 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,007,387 times
We've definitely had some great picture threads, but of course more is always better when it comes to pictures, and I like the idea of a sticky of some sort (maybe just links to prior picture threads).

Old 07-15-2008, 12:04 PM

2,902 posts, read 10,067,760 times
Quote:
Where is all this amazing architecture I keep hearing about in Pittsburgh?
People and student's from all over the world travel to Pittsburgh to seek out and study old, dynamic, new, and amazing architecture from nearly every decade and design.

In fact, there is a certain style of architecture that is becoming extremely popular again (the name escapes me, something like art deco or something) and Pittsburgh is quickly becoming an even hotter destination for architectural study.

It sort of doesn't surprise me that someone may have had this sort of experience from Monroeville or Oakland (Oakland that is right up against Pitt, mind you, it's a wreck of construction and essentially a campus).

I can't say I sympathize, though, as it's been mentioned that they obviously didn't venture or do their homework. I mean, every city has parts I wouldn't exactly stay in or want my first impression to be.

That's like heading to New York City and staying in Harlem and then naively thinking that's all New York City is or has to offer. I'm not making this comparison in admittance that Pittsburgh is a dump (because I most certainly don't believe such), but New York City is absolutely filthy disgusting on many fronts but it is still one of the best cities in the world!

Pittsburgh is old, too. And while Pittsburgh has a plethora of booming suburbs and gentrified Victorian and classic neighborhoods, there are most definitely some gritty areas. Then again, even Pittsburgh's grit isn't really like normal grit. While driving through an area of Pittsburgh that may look distressed, it's PROBABLY mostly old folks that never moved and cling to their way of life.

For the most part, it isn't like Detroit, Chicago, or Philly grit where you lock the car doors and pray for the best.

Last edited by guylocke; 07-15-2008 at 12:15 PM..

Old 07-15-2008, 01:08 PM

2,039 posts, read 6,321,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guylocke View Post
While driving through an area of Pittsburgh that may look distressed, it's PROBABLY mostly old folks that never moved and cling to their way of life.

For the most part, it isn't like Detroit, Chicago, or Philly grit where you lock the car doors and pray for the best.
That part I agree with. To me, "grit" means dirty, run-down, not violent or scary. I agree that the distressed areas may have many older folks who have not moved, etc., etc., etc.

Old 07-15-2008, 02:34 PM

158 posts, read 527,043 times
The original post seems fake to me. If it's not, then somebody really went wrong somewhere in the time they spent here. Parts of the city are run down. Sure. Whatever. The city is beautiful, and I've shown my apt. recently to people from all over the country who stopped our conversation about the apt to say that mention that they, in effect, agree. My apt isn't in a back alley in a sort-of-suburb, though. I guess that's the thing? Whatever. The kibbles-n-bits and taco bell-pepsi comments were great. They say it all.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:47 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,156,497 times
All,

Discuss the concern and provide the courtesy that each one deserve. Everyone has a different opinion, so respect the opinion avoid the rude approach and if you don't agree and the post is offensive REPORT IT. Very simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh