Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Favorite Pittsburgh Landmark(what makes Pittsburgh Unique?)
Andy Warhol Museum 0 0%
Carnegie Science Center 0 0%
Cathedral of Learning 7 19.44%
Pittsburgh Mills 0 0%
Duquesne Incline 10 27.78%
Carnegie Museum of art and science 3 8.33%
Point State Park 6 16.67%
"Three Sisters" Bridges 1 2.78%
Ye Old Robinson Town "Centre" 1 2.78%
Pittsburgh National Aviary 1 2.78%
Carson St. (bar and pub crawls) 2 5.56%
PNC Park 1 2.78%
Squirrel Hill business district 0 0%
Golden Triangle (architecture walks) 2 5.56%
Monroeville Mall 0 0%
Station square 0 0%
Hienz Field 0 0%
Phipps Conservatory and Botanical gardens 0 0%
Schenley park 2 5.56%
The Mattress Factory(no, not where they make your bed) 0 0%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 01:13 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,803,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExPit View Post
The little things: the ethnic neighborhoods that are still largely intact. Polish Hill was an oasis of cobblestone streets and dramatic contrasts of new and old, of glass and steel skyscrapers up against antique, pristine row houses fronted by an army of babushkas sweeping their stoops and their sidewalks. Forgive the stereotype, but when I was there last that's just what it was, and it was like having one foot in the past and while the other was being tugged into the future.

The Oyster House in Market Square with those great photos everywhere of Pittsburgh sports icons, their fish sandwiches which were never very good but never very bad. The Strip District with its combination of truckers and businessmen and civilians rushing in and out, Uptown Fifth Avenue as it was then, half new Hill District half old hold-outs making their stand at Bubbles Deli and the All-Star pool hall.

I'm not saying I don't dig the bridges and as another poster mentioned the weather beacon that the Gulf Building was in those days, and who could say that the Cathedral of Learning is not impressive; used to be, maybe it still is, the tallest university building in the world. But it's the things made and maintained by "people" not architects that to me are most moving.
The Cathedral is actually quite very impressive now since its acid bath!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 05:37 AM

11 posts, read 22,876 times
I voted for point state park only because all of north side wasn' t on on the list.I was born and raised there only to leave to go in the army. came back ther to raise a family.Now have left again and moved to "camp". Still get down every so often buc games and whatever. Last time there took some young folks around to west park, ya ya's made my buddys 18 year old sit on the deer and took his picture( i don't know if he got the meanig or not), but he sent me a thank you card and asked when my next tour would be so he bring so buddys. All of Pittsburgh is special to me and coming back just renforces what a great plase it is
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh