Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2008, 03:41 PM

2,751 posts, read 5,364,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.davon24 View Post
WOW where did this thread turn to? Although everyone in intitled to their opinions I thinks racism doesn't belong in this thread. About the Waterfront shootings they've beefed up the secruity some now. If something happens then we call then decide if its a place for hoodlums. I'll keep everyone post I live close.
Davon! You are playing hookie! You are not aloud to go to recess until you have finished your test!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 03:42 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,713,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExPit View Post
Yeah, there are alotta Mexicans that hate blacks and vice versa. Just as alot of Italians used to hate Puerto Ricans in New York. (As a kid I witnessed a pretty good shirts on skins, two x four board fight between the two at my uncle's apartment in Flushing, Queens). And of course the Irish weren't too crazy about the Italians when they first came over, as they were the next group down on the totem pole, lived in adjacent city neighborhoods, went to the same Catholic churches and often schools. Hate is always about fear, fear of the unknown or more likely fear of loss. Always it seems, and now more than ever, the powers at the top take whatever they can get away with and leave the rest of us to battle it out for the crumbs.

I used to know someone who said, "Everyone wants to feel better than other people and if they can't do it on their own, then they try to do it as a group."

Was it Lenny Bruce, probably not, who said, I'll paraphrase, that the only answer to America's race/prejudice problem is for everyone to just start ****ing everyone else, (inter-racially that is), till we all look alike and we can't tell one from another anymore?

And yeah, can't say that Homestead is a convenient place for me to do my shopping, but if it were, I too would go there unarmed and without a bullet proof vest.
I like the line in Blazing Saddles, where the small town racist says "We'll give some land to the (n-words) and the (ch-words) but we DON'T WANT THE IRISH!

Old 07-25-2008, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
I like the line in Blazing Saddles, where the small town racist says "We'll give some land to the (n-words) and the (ch-words) but we DON'T WANT THE IRISH!
Anything but the bleepin' IRISH!

Old 07-25-2008, 03:51 PM

374 posts, read 1,285,356 times
Quote:
It was sad when the last one got shut down.

Has anybody been to Dave and Buster's at the Waterfront? There is no bigger waste of money. I went to one in Atlanta (awful town) once.

Sorry, didn't mean to be flippant.

Edit: yes I did, but hopefully everyone understands my desire to inject flippancy in order to keep things from getting too serious.

I've been their twice its a pretty cool place IMO

Old 07-25-2008, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdivisions View Post
It would be sad if this thread got deleted. This is a really interesting discussion, and IMO, pertinent to many threads we've had on City-Data Forum about neighborhoods and race, crime, etc.
Yeah, just like the one we had on "The Hill," it is interesting and far-reaching. Hard to talk about shootings without drugs and gangs and bad neighborhoods and race coming into the discussion.

We can talk about guns if anybody wants to; I don't know if you (plural) saw my post on the infant child that was killed in a driveby yesterday in L.A. And I'm of the minority opinion that there are just too many guns on the street. The thing about guns, unlike drugs, is they are not consumed. So they multiply, and the guns that are manufactured this year will be put into circulation right along with all the others that are already here. Too many guns, too many shootings, I think.

Old 07-25-2008, 04:58 PM

15 posts, read 37,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
You and your family were white; you could be assimilated into the white mainstream and overcome any impediments your ancestors came into; despite the things your family went through, you were, at baseline, considered human and now you are considered an individual. Not so for me. I come from immigrants and African Americans who came here involuntarily, and I am still trying to prove that I am a human being that is no different from anyone else. No matter how indignant you may get, you have to realize that this is still a problem in America. If you really think that this is something black folks can simply "overcome," you are deluded. You know where your ancestors come from, you know what their names are, and you know that your rights and very humanity are respected.
My dad is not "white" per say, and my Italian family comes from Sardena/Sicily and people mistake them for middle eastern. Hell my uncle was told that "all you damn terrorist should be kicked out of this country". So we do look different, me less so, and have you ever read what the Irish were considered by the Protestant majority in both England AND the United States. Hell swift's social sarcasm piece was even taken literally by some of the Elite of the time.

Everyone has problems, there is racism sure, but people have the means in this country to improve themselves. Everyone should take advantage of that.

I have very real problems in general, with some aspects of African American society. Pot, meet kettle in regards to most of the racism charges.

Old 07-25-2008, 05:03 PM

Quote:
What I see here is another thread about to be shut down. At least throw in something about the Waterfront shootings to create the illusion of being on topic.

In response to the person who originally brought up racism by calling everybody here racist, I'll admit there's a dominant suburban "white-flight" mentality which pervades these forums, but I wouldn't call it racist. As for slavery, it's still going on. Once again, look to Africa. As for slavery in this country, it's far in the past. Learn from the past, don't repeat the past, but PLEASE let go of the past. I don't feel like looking it up, but the last former slave died some time ago. I have serfs (aka slaves) in my ancestry and a case could be made for the fact that it has something to do with there never being any money in my family. As for Jim Crow, you've got a point. There are still people who lived through it and I couldn't imagine what it was like. If I have privilege, it was being born after that time period.

Some of the most virulent anti-Mexican racism I've encountered has come from black co-workers, and people of all colors seem to hate the Arabs. Lesson? Everybody needs to get over themselves, quit acting like victims of society (most of us are), live their lives as individuals and FORGET about "their people", which is a concept, like equality, which absolutely does not exist.

Ethnic pride is one of the silliest kinds of pride. Take pride in things you've accomplished yourself.

P.S. As a dreaded straight white male, I'm still looking for my f*cking keys to the world. They must be around here somewhere.

I go to the Waterfront sometimes...I'm not afraid of being shot.
I agree, having pride in your ancestors and family is fine, but anyone who judges by the group is an idiot, you take men one at a time. I damn ALL gentleman/aristocracy.

I do not care who your father is, or was.

Old 07-25-2008, 05:45 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm6687 View Post
My dad is not "white" per say, and my Italian family comes from Sardena/Sicily and people mistake them for middle eastern. Hell my uncle was told that "all you damn terrorist should be kicked out of this country". So we do look different, me less so, and have you ever read what the Irish were considered by the Protestant majority in both England AND the United States. Hell swift's social sarcasm piece was even taken literally by some of the Elite of the time.

Everyone has problems, there is racism sure, but people have the means in this country to improve themselves. Everyone should take advantage of that.

I have very real problems in general, with some aspects of African American society. Pot, meet kettle in regards to most of the racism charges.
I have problems with some aspects of American society in general. As for your pot/kettle statement, I haven't the slightest idea what you're referring to.

Old 07-25-2008, 05:50 PM

Quote:
I have problems with some aspects of American society in general. As for your pot/kettle statement, I haven't the slightest idea what you're referring to.
I hate to try to speak for him, and when he shows up he can correct me if I am wrong, but I just think he was saying that he's not a racist, and that alot of time there is so-called reverse racism.

Old 07-25-2008, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Well a lot of predominantly black communities are extremely quick to cry "racism" and while agree that a small minority is justified it is taken to a whole different level. In my opinion the racism card has now hurt the cause of blacks in American, for instance I interned at a humanitarian institution who was more afraid of being accused of being racist than in actually helping people. I have found, in my limited sample size, that most white members of society are actually afraid to critic, criticize, or even talk about the African American communities. In fact most of the people I know ignore it entirely.

Is that progress?

On the other hand black areas of the country are statistically the WORST discriminatory area's against homosexuals and gender. And there are countless accusations of racism when those topics are brought up to the leadership of said areas; believe me I have experienced it first hand in debates with the supposedly educated leaders of the African American community.

Lastly, after having been discriminated themselves for all these long years is it a wonder that a strong minority, even a majority in some areas, have a negative view towards Hispanic American's. Militant view also, as bad as those Texas militias.

Pot meet Kettle.

No one's **** does not stink. Lets move on and improve ourselves.

Lets have black leadership advocate for education and responisbility.

Practice birth control, stress the harmfulness of drugs, the danger of gangs, the importance of a father to a child.

I believe there are a lot of good people everywhere, I just find the leadership of the African American community in this country SAD.

And yes, minimizing my ancestors past experiences to justify your own is also, pathetic. (not intended to the poster I quoted, more of a general statement)

Last edited by mm6687; 07-25-2008 at 06:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh