Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 09:18 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,631,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramhorse View Post
Part of the reason for the negative comments might stem from the fact that it's a stretch to say most of CP's properties are in "regent square," they're really on the Point Breeze-Wilkinsburg border. It's not a bad neighborhood, but it's not all ice cream stores and young upwardly mobile families. Again, I've never had any problems (even walking around at night) but it's definitely not squirrel hill or shadyside.

In short, renting will always suck, but CP doesn't suck any more than average. If you've found a place you like and CP's the landlord, I'd say go for it.
If you look on Craigslist, they will give you a map and that may be able to help anyone figure out what neighborhood it's in. Personally I would prefer Regent Square, so I can vote on city issues in elections. But I think the problem with some of the properties may not be the lanlords, but may be some problem tenants that bring some problems to the property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 06:52 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,675,363 times
not all of regent square is in the city of pittsburgh. the neighborhood actually encompasses parts of pittsburgh, edgewood, wilkinsburg and maybe swissvale too?

landlords definitely advertise places that aren't regent square as regent square though. i'm pretty sure those cruddy rowhouses that i mentioned earlier are advertised as regent square by cp, and they are on the other side of the busway from regent square! the same way swisshelm park and greenfield magically become "squirrel hill" in real estate listings.

Old 03-08-2010, 07:07 AM

ha! i actually just looked at cp's page and they have a picture of those rowhouses on their front page!

they did paint them in a way that makes them look pretty cool from a distance or in a picture, although if you look up close it's a super sloppy paintjob.

they are advertised as wilkinsburg though.

Old 03-08-2010, 07:09 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
not all of regent square is in the city of pittsburgh. the neighborhood actually encompasses parts of pittsburgh, edgewood, wilkinsburg and maybe swissvale too?
Yep. In fact downtown Regent Square is half in Swissvale/half in Edgewood.

Quote:
landlords definitely advertise places that aren't regent square as regent square though. i'm pretty sure those cruddy rowhouses that i mentioned earlier are advertised as regent square by cp, and they are on the other side of the busway from regent square! the same way swisshelm park and greenfield magically become "squirrel hill" in real estate listings.
And they seem to be getting more aggressive about it all the time.

That said, some of the neighborhoods right next to Regent Square are pretty nice and worth considering.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post

I thought Regent Square was a neighborhood of the city of Pittsburgh.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Yep. In fact downtown Regent Square is half in Swissvale/half in Edgewood.

And they seem to be getting more aggressive about it all the time.

That said, some of the neighborhoods right next to Regent Square are pretty nice and worth considering.
Next to Reqent Square, where? (which area?)

Old 03-08-2010, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
nope. here is how much of regent square is in pittsburgh:

Regent Square Map

as you can see, it doesn't even include the main business district. regent square is a neighborhood that transcends cities and boroughs!

oh and nice neighborhoods near regent square include park place, edgewood, and parts of wilkinsburg and swissvale.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
It is, but it is also an informal neighborhood that overlaps four municipalities. In fact the Pittsburgh part is only a small slice of the informal neighborhood, and doesn't include the commercial area. The informal part is not arbitrary, by the way: it was originally a commonly developed plan, defined by topography, and existed as distinct neighborhood while the local municipalities were still in flux.

To sum up, I think the best way to think of it is that Pittsburgh treats the part of Regent Square in Pittsburgh as a separate neighborhood, but that doesn't mean that the Pittsburgh part is the whole of Regent Square.

Edit: Here is a rough map, courtesy of the Regent Square Civic Association:

Quote:
Next to Reqent Square, where? (which area?)
Groar basically named them, but I'd define Park Place as between Forbes and Penn, and Braddock and Peebles. Allenby, Hutchinson, the Busway, and I-376 define a chunk of Edgewood which is pretty well associated with Regent Square. Between Hutchinson and Biddle, west of the Busway and east of Trenton, is a chunk of Wilkinsburg sometimes called Whitney Park, also closely associated with Regent Square. You could also include parts of Swisshelm Park and Swissvale, but I tend to view I-376 as something of a barrier.

Old 03-08-2010, 11:21 AM

the nice thing about renting outside the city of pittsburgh is that the income tax is much lower. at least it is in wilkinsburg - i'm not sure what it is in edgewood or swissvale. although if you're buying property, the property taxes are higher in any of those boroughs. wilkinsburg is the highest.

the bad thing is that you don't have a say in city politics. although in wilkinsburg, i feel like i personally can make a much bigger difference in borough politics.

Last edited by groar; 03-08-2010 at 11:29 AM..

Old 03-08-2010, 11:29 AM

I believe the earned income tax is 1% in all of Wilkinsburg, Edgewood, and Swissvale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh