Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 06:19 AM

2,488 posts, read 2,931,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugdogmaster View Post
In my short time on this board I've come to the realization that it's impossible to post good news without people ripping it apart.
There are different ways to look at things. CD seems to have about 60% negative people, 40% positive.

The Pittsburgh economy has been favoring well in comparison to the rest of the nation.

Again, it doesn't matter. We will always have a few people, or perhaps one person, come start a fire and ignite the flames.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 06:55 AM

3,306 posts, read 4,153,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Wow, that's amazing. One tends to think of health care as "recession proof".
Patient care and things of those nature are fairly recession proof, but UPMC does much more than that. They are likely being effected by the tightening of the credit markets, it will make expansion and funding/re-funding programs more difficult.

Quote:
And, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, Pittsburgh's unemployment rate is 5.3 percent, which is hardly cause for celebration.
Its 7.9% over here in Los Angeles. This is largely due to financial and real estate related job loses though. The boom times passed Pittsburgh, but as a result Pittsburgh doesn't get hit as hard by down turns associated with the collapse of such booms. Of course, it looks like the disease started in CA, NY etc is spreading across the country so Pittsburgh's unemployment figures may catch-up.

But Pittsburgh's economy is hardly doing "well", it hasn't been for many years.

Last edited by Humanoid; 09-25-2008 at 07:05 AM..

Old 09-25-2008, 09:22 AM

799 posts, read 1,289,291 times
Anything in the housing sector of the economy (construction, real estate, etc ...) represents a false economic boom. Bubbles aren't healthy for any region. Save the city's debt problem, the region has a sound economy. The labor market is diversified and should be a good place to ride out any economic downturn.

Right now, Pittsburgh reminds me of Minneapolis during the tough economic times of the late 1980s and early 1990s. Minneapolis, along with Seattle, was a good port in the economic storm.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:24 AM

487 posts, read 1,379,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugdogmaster View Post
In my short time on this board I've come to the realization that it's impossible to post good news without people ripping it apart.
Don't let that stop you. There are plenty of casual readers - especially those from out of the region - that enjoy them.

Old 09-25-2008, 06:00 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomo.2000 View Post
There are different ways to look at things. CD seems to have about 60% negative people, 40% positive.

The Pittsburgh economy has been favoring well in comparison to the rest of the nation.

Again, it doesn't matter. We will always have a few people, or perhaps one person, come start a fire and ignite the flames.
Just like you're always so positive on the Denver forum.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:05 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,153,400 times
Quote:
Anything in the housing sector of the economy (construction, real estate, etc ...) represents a false economic boom. Bubbles aren't healthy for any region.
This isn't true in general. For example the boom in housing after WW2 was in no sense a "false economic boom". Furthermore, bubbles are part of the normal business cycle. Without the steel boom many of the positive things people talk about would not exist. All those beautiful buildings, the museums etc, wouldn't exist. Without the boom in computing we may not be on the internet right now. Most progress happens during economic booms.

Economic booms aren't always followed by the sort of long term economic decay seen in Pittsburgh. It all depends on how flexible the area is and a number of other issues. Pittsburgh to this day is still a place where it pays heavily to be politically well connected.

Old 09-26-2008, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Just like you're always so positive on the Denver forum.
I posted one opinion in one post on the Denver forum. I didn't minipulate articles, I didn't bend facts to make it look my way.

I just posted my opinion that in Denver there is a lot of ugly everywhereville urban sprawl.

If you happen to notice, most of what I said was good about Denver.

I didn't go over there and try to start a flame war either.

Old 09-26-2008, 06:29 AM

I would appreciate if people could please stop the bickering and hateful arguements to each other on this forum.

There seems to be such a us and them mentallity on this board. It is like a playground during a 5th grade recess.

Old 10-28-2008, 07:43 AM

487 posts, read 1,379,947 times
Default Region bucks job trend

Some good news this morning from the Tribune-Review:

Quote:
Despite economic woes nationally, the Pittsburgh region showed signs of growth in September, with 7,000 more jobs compared with a year ago and a drop in the unemployment rate, the state said today.

"That means Pittsburgh is continuing to buck the national trend, since most major regions lost jobs in September. Many regions have lost literally tens of thousands of jobs in the past year, both in the Rust Belt and Sun Belt," said Harold D. Miller, president of Future Strategies LLC, a Downtown-based consulting firm.

"The real significant number is the 7,000-job increase from September 2007 to September 2008," Miller said, because the single-month increase is due to back-to-school employment.

The jobs data, however, was collected before the nation's economic crisis intensified, so figures may look different in October and November, Miller said.
Full article: Region bucks trend on jobs - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Old 10-28-2008, 08:04 PM

799 posts, read 1,289,291 times
Default More Bucking The Trend

BusinessWeek is also citing Pittsburgh as good place to weather the economic downturn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh