Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2014, 04:54 PM

419 posts, read 551,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Are you really trying to say that Pittsburgh has a much bigger influence in the state than Philadelphia? Funny how there is way more Philly sports fans in the state than there are Pittsburgh sports fans. I'm sure you forgot to mention that.
It upsets you that Philly isn't the metro capital of Johnstown? Or Titusville?

Old 03-08-2014, 04:54 PM

9,348 posts, read 13,010,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
Oh I think Pittsburgh is definitely better hands down. We have been in Phily a few times and there was nothing that jumped out at us. Yes, it was nice to stroll around, see the Liberty Bell etc. But I didn't feel safe there at all ; and we are fairly well traveled people. But Pittsburgh ; it has character, character and lots of character.
Sounds like you had very limited exposure to the city, not that it's invalid to prefer Pittsburgh. Philly certainly has no shortage of character though.

As for safety, I'm guessing you spent most of your time around Market East, which is a lot more aesthetically unpleasing than it is imminently dangerous. It's also a relatively small portion of Center City.

Old 03-08-2014, 05:59 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,003,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghdude28 View Post
It upsets you that Philly isn't the metro capital of Johnstown? Or Titusville?
I'm not worried about those towns as Philly's influence and culture already spans over 4 different states.

Old 03-08-2014, 06:11 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,135,076 times
Quote:
I'm not worried about those towns as Philly's influence and culture already spans over 4 different states.
Same for Pittsburgh, PA, OH, WV, and Md. I remember when I lived in Pittsburgh, Philadelphia meant practically nothing to me. Never heard about it, nor cared. Eastern PA might as well be another state. Even now, we never talk about Philly, except possibly in sports.

Old 03-08-2014, 06:25 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,883,891 times
Quote:
Are you really trying to say that Pittsburgh has a much bigger influence in the state than Philadelphia? Funny how there is way more Philly sports fans in the state than there are Pittsburgh sports fans. I'm sure you forgot to mention that.
The Steelers are Pennsylvania's favorite professional sports team. 30% pick them, followed by 22% for the Phillies, 12% each for the Penguins and Eagles, 6% for the Pirates, 4% for the Flyers, and 2% for the 76ers. For those keeping track that's 48% of voters in the state choosing one of Pittsburgh's 3 teams to only 40% picking a Philadelphia team even though that city has 4. Advantage Steel City on that front

Public Policy Polling: Pennsylvania Miscellaneous

Old 03-08-2014, 06:38 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,156,239 times
Quote:
No not at all. Many polls that I've looked at show that besides Philadelphia County and the other immediate counties that make part of the Philly metro, Pennsylvanians generally prefer Pittsburgh teams. They even show a preference for Pittsburgh teams in Lancaster, York, Harrisburg, and Wilkes-Barre Scranton despite them being much closer to Philly than Pittsburgh. Philly does have more in common with the other I-95 cities than the rest of PA to me, maybe that and Pittsburgh teams generally win more is why a lot of people in Eastern PA still prefer Pittsburgh teams.

Also with the Italian thing, I wasn't disagreeing that people in Philly act like that but I am strongly disagreeing with the fact people who are like that are "real Italians" (especially as someone who comes from an Italian family that doesn't act like people on a fictional TV show). Thinking you need to act like that to be Italian is stupid, absurd, and ridiculous.

Old 03-08-2014, 07:07 PM

419 posts, read 551,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
No not at all. Many polls that I've looked at show that besides Philadelphia County and the other immediate counties that make part of the Philly metro, Pennsylvanians generally prefer Pittsburgh teams. They even show a preference for Pittsburgh teams in Lancaster, York, Harrisburg, and Wilkes-Barre Scranton despite them being much closer to Philly than Pittsburgh. Philly does have more in common with the other I-95 cities than the rest of PA to me, maybe that and Pittsburgh teams generally win more is why a lot of people in Eastern PA still prefer Pittsburgh teams.

Also with the Italian thing, I wasn't disagreeing that people in Philly act like that but I am strongly disagreeing with the fact people who are like that are "real Italians" (especially as someone who comes from an Italian family that doesn't act like people on a fictional TV show). Thinking you need to act like that to be Italian is stupid, absurd, and ridiculous.
Never thought this would ever happen but I actually agree with you There is a bit of a Baltimore sports following in Harrisburg and York area

Old 03-08-2014, 07:29 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,920,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post

Not to mention offensive. Seriously. The jersey shore "Italians" are an embarrassment to my ethnicity.

Old 03-08-2014, 07:43 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,549,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
Not to mention offensive. Seriously. The jersey shore "Italians" are an embarrassment to my ethnicity.
Could not agree more. I grew up in a small town that had a large population of Italians. None of them ever acted like those jagoffs on Jersey Shore. And despite being a Big Dumb White Guy, they let me have dinner with them.

I am still a card carrying member of the Italian Club, costs me 15 bucks, cost Italians 30 bucks.

Go figure.

Old 03-08-2014, 08:06 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,897,487 times
Pittsburgh doesn't get overshadowed by Philadelphia...... Both Cities tend to forget the other is in the same state, PA is just that big.

I consider neither to have a dominance on PAs attention, as long as PA governance is still dominated by the "T"... I swear there no other state in the Union that has such a dynamic of having it's 2 dominate cities, the overwhelming economic generators of the state take such back seats politically to the Rural parts of the state. This is truly a phenomenon unique to Pennsylvania.

To say Philly has WAYYYYY more Sport fans in PA, I damn near spit Diet Dr Pepper all over my PC screen. Please! the Steelers are far an away the #1 sports franchise in the state, hell the Steelers are the #2 NFL team in Philadelphia metro itself, base on the amount of Steelers gear you will see walking around the streets there. The Giants are a distant 3rd mostly from a South Jersey base.

The Steelers and Pens both have significant National and International fan bases..... Do any of Philly's teams have a significant base outside of the Philadelphia Metro? Hell even once you go north past exit 8 on the NJT the fan base shifts to NY very quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh