Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 08:16 PM

457 posts, read 1,280,173 times

Advertisements

Hate the Steelers. If you want to sum up Pittsburgh and get a good feel for exactly how people in the area are, then hang around a Steelers fan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 06:23 PM

392 posts, read 1,068,319 times
I lived in Pittsburgh and was a fan of the Cincinnati Bengals, Cincinnati Reds (my mother raised me on these teams LOL), and the Detroit Red Wings. I was actually living in Pgh. when the Wings beat the Pens for the Cup. Man, you can imagine the dirty looks I got at work the next day.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:23 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Two years ago now, there was an incident at my old high school where a kid wearing a John Elway jersey was harassed by his teacher, who encouraged the class to throw spitballs at him. This happend the Friday before a playoff game between the Broncos and Steelers. The teacher's response to the negative publicity was "our team won".

Old 02-09-2009, 09:16 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,802,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Two years ago now, there was an incident at my old high school where a kid wearing a John Elway jersey was harassed by his teacher, who encouraged the class to throw spitballs at him. This happend the Friday before a playoff game between the Broncos and Steelers. The teacher's response to the negative publicity was "our team won".
A kid just recently got sent home and suspended from an Arizona school for wearing his Steelers jersey to class, when the kids were told to wear their team jerseys to show support I sent the school administrators an e-mail asking why.....I never got a response.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:55 PM

I guess it happens everywhere.

Old 02-13-2009, 01:49 PM

13 posts, read 96,597 times
Lived in Pittsburgh from 1994 - 2005 and took a lot of heat for my teams.
Dallas Cowboys, Philadelphia Flyers, Philadelphia Phillies, and Philadelphia 76ers.
I now live in the York, PA area and get no heat for 3 of the 4.

Old 02-13-2009, 02:00 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Quote:

ahhh... but tell the rest of the story...

"During the investigation, the administrators talked to the teacher, all witnesses and Joshua, who returned to school on Monday. Although the administrators found nothing false in Joshua’s version of events, they explained in their news release that the ethnic relations course is a popular elective taken by honor students.

“As part of the course, students are often singled out to exemplify uncomfortable treatment and students who enroll in the course are aware of this fact,” the statement said.

“Face to face discussions and interaction among students and with the instructor sitting in a circle is a normal classroom setting for this course.”"

And there were no spitballs... just crumpled paper.

Old 02-13-2009, 04:41 PM

That is hardly "the rest of the story". It certainly wasn't over in three days. This issue had Beaver Falls in an uproar for months. He left the school district. His parents sued. It was a mess. And it's OK to throw paper at someone, if it isn't a spitball? How interesting.

Old 02-13-2009, 05:21 PM

803 posts, read 2,970,061 times
Exclamation Judging the Book by the Cover?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr1234 View Post
If you want to sum up Pittsburgh and get a good feel for exactly how people in the area are, then hang around a Steelers fan.
I dunno why, but even as a recent transplant, I kinda' find that mindset to be offensive and shallow... I've met several "Steeler Fans" here, and they've reintroduced THIS displaced Texan to the joys of "Football As Religion".... something I've missed for many years.... and there's nothing wrong with loving a team like they do, here.. in fact, it's kinda' refreshing.

Whenever a city or a region can rally around anything, even something as trivial as football, it says something for the character of the area. These "Yinzers" here are salt of the earth, and their loyalty is beyond reproach.

.....JUST the kind of people I'd love to have standing next to or behind me, the next time I end up in a fight, somewhere....

Now, if you wanna' get a REAL feel for "the locals" like you mentioned, try spending a week in Philly, next to a few die-hard Eagles fans.... that is, if you can keep from slamming their heads against the nearest brick wall for that long.......

Old 02-13-2009, 05:33 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Quote:
It was a mess. And it's OK to throw paper at someone, if it isn't a spitball? How interesting.
Not usually. But you have to know about that class... my cousin's kid took it.

A component of that ethnic relations course was that every student, at least once over the course of the class, was subjected to discrimination of some sort.
It was part of the course description, and all student knew about it when they elected to take that class. The parents know about it too.

So it was just his turn that day.

And, instead of using it as the learning experience it was meant to be, the same experience that all the others in the class either endured or would endure at some future date, he and his parents ran to the Denver newspapers for publicity.

Leaving the school was his choice. From what I heard, he was not treated kindly by other students and from people in the community who understood what this class was about. He made the school district look bad. He made a teacher who is very popular, and a course that was popular, look bad. Many were glad he left.

I hope the kid is enjoying his Elway Home heat-massage reclining chair....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh