Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 11:02 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,240,907 times

Advertisements

I know it is a bit of tourist thing, but the inclines are something you do not find in many places. Pittsburgh is a very old city, so you don't have to look hard to find old interesting buildings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 11:29 AM

461 posts, read 748,928 times
Default Thanks!

Thanks for this great information - I'm moving back home to Pittsburgh from Philadelphia, and started to get a little nervous about living in such a smaller city, but this remindsme that it is just as rich in fascinating stuff as PHL. And without as much crime! <grin>

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW333 View Post
Besides Allegheny Cemetery, a few more historic architectural offerings:

Evergreen Hamlet, 1851 ~ an experimental and early American suburb, with a nice enclave of Gothic Revival houses surviving
YouTube - Pittsburgh A to Z: Evergreen Hamlet and Fish Sandwiches (see first few minutes of short video.)

Chatham Village, 1932 ~ a nationally significant planned community in Mt. Washington Chatham Village - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Frederick Sauer Houses, c.1900 - 1930s ~ In Aspinwall/Fox Chapel, a very odd group of eccentric houses and apartments in a style described (F. Toker) as borrowing from L.A.'s Watts Tower and Tolkien's Lord of the Rings Sauer Buildings Historic District, Aspinwall Borough, Allegheny County, PA 15215

Carnegie Museum of Art, 1907 - Hall of Architecture, a fine space, with a collection of architectural plaster casts intended as learning models Hall of Architecture: Carnegie Museum of Art

Old 02-09-2009, 01:14 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,283,841 times
I just got home from a weekend visit to Pittsburgh. I was impressed. You have a beautiful city. Everyone I met was very friendly, and was quite helpful to me finding my way around.

My wife and I had dinner at a nice Italian place on Mt. Washington, what a view! Afterward we explored the Carson St. area for a bit. We had a thoroughly good time.

I just want to extend my compliments and my gratitude to you in general in Pittsburgh, and also to you specifically who pointed us in the right direction for a great weekend.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:11 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,713,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugdogmaster View Post
Awe, please don't leave me. Jinxed_13 doesn't come around anymore, Creepsinc is hardly ever here..... it'll just be me and By-Tor.

I gotta agree with ya though, The Strip is unique to Pittsburgh. I too have been to different markets in different cities over quite a bit of this country, there's nothing quite like The Strip District.

Awww, somebody cares!

I've been around, but I've been around even more the last couple of days. As for Jinxed_13, I've tried talking her back on here, but it's not happening, I guess. That's a busy girl, though.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:19 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,803,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
Awww, somebody cares!

I've been around, but I've been around even more the last couple of days. As for Jinxed_13, I've tried talking her back on here, but it's not happening, I guess. That's a busy girl, though.
Hahaha. Ya, I e-mail her on myspace sometimes, I'm lucky to get a reply. I still need to meet you guys when I'm in the city sometime. She said she'd buy me a beer

Old 02-10-2009, 04:54 AM

2,420 posts, read 4,713,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugdogmaster View Post
Hahaha. Ya, I e-mail her on myspace sometimes, I'm lucky to get a reply. I still need to meet you guys when I'm in the city sometime. She said she'd buy me a beer
You're on her myspace? I'll try to find you!

Old 04-03-2009, 12:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I live two blocks away in Beechview. It's 2 minutes from downtown, so hillbillies are scarce.
Thanks, fleetiebelle, I was about to say the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh