Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 05:11 PM

2 posts, read 15,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katerz1 View Post
If anyone knows of anyone who was in this institution in the late 1930s or 1940s, please let me know. I'm interested in talking to people because my mother, Mary Lou Weber, was there at that time.

Thank you so much!
My grandmother & her brother were there in the early 1920's. Lucy & Guy Pagliari. I would dearly love to see photos or hear from anyone there at that time. Nobody in my family will discuss why or for how long these 2 were there. I am waiting to hear back from the Pgh Diocese in hopes they had records about them in their archives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 09:34 PM

1 posts, read 7,505 times
i was at st. paul's orphanage from 1957 and when it closed in 1965 was sent to holy family; i don't have any pictures of st. paul's so would anyone mind emailing me any pictures and if anyone remembers rosemary and patricia eleam let me know.

thank you, rosemary

Old 02-23-2009, 08:14 AM

2 posts, read 15,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina Prato View Post
My uncle just sent me old photos of the orphanage. My family name is Prato.

There were about 6 siblings. They all came from Prato, Italy. We still have a reunion of all decendants. I hope these picture come through okay. And I hope you enjoy them as much as I am.

Regards,
Gina
Would it be possible to have these photos e-mailed to me at jjaluvka96@aol.com, please?

Old 03-04-2009, 10:20 AM

1 posts, read 7,512 times
My brother and I were at St Paul's from 1957-1963. I would love to see pictures or hear from anyone who was there at that time.

Donna

Old 03-08-2009, 03:47 PM

1 posts, read 7,464 times
I'm writing a book that involves an orphanage, but I don't know as much as I would like to. Are they run by nuns, volunteers, or paid employees? How many kids are in an average orphanage? How many to a room? Are the kids taught in the orphanage, or do they go to school? what do they look like inside? If someone could help me answer some of these questions, I would greatly appreciate it.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:26 PM

2 posts, read 14,912 times
My mother was in an orphange in the decatur Ill area and as far as I know it was all girls My mothers name was Eleanor Darlene (Ellie) Dickey and her sister was Thelma Jeanette Dickey and I know that they became orphans in the 1943 area. My mom used to do one of the woman of the orphanges hair in Pin Curls and the woman gave my mom a scrapbook of all of the girls everything from individual pictures to newspaper articles. Please reply [email]meandlittleone@hotmail.com[/email]

Old 03-11-2009, 08:27 PM

2 posts, read 14,912 times
I was also wondering if this was the same orphanage in the Decautur Illinois area?

Old 03-20-2009, 06:18 PM

1 posts, read 7,363 times
My grandfather and his siblings were in St. Paul's orphanage in approx. 1907 - 1916. My parents and I visited here last year and have many pictures. I don't know how much of it has changed since its days as an orphanage, but I will try to post them or can e mail if anyone is interested. Does anyone else have older photos or info on individuals who may have lived at the orphanage in the early 1900's? Thank you!

Old 04-09-2009, 05:27 PM

6 posts, read 28,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katerz1 View Post
For some reason, I was not alerted to all these replies until today! So, thanks, everyone!

To Gina: I also have lots of pix of the orphanage which I got from the Pgh Diocese! To the fella who's working on the book: I'd be happy to share these with you. I can be reached at katesiegel at yahoo dot com

Y'all might be interested to know that I was recently "found" by my cousin John Weber, son of my uncle Jack Weber who had been in St. Paul's. He had a bunch of photos which he shared with me! This was my first time laying eyes on my mom's siblings! So it's super cool as you might imagine. I found out the other siblings were named George, Peggy, and Barbara.
What kind of info do you have on St. Paul's Orphanage? I have been doing genealogy for 45+ yrs and the brick wall that bothers me most is trying to get information on my mother's brother who was an inmate at St. Paul's. (I know because I posted the first Census of him in 1910 online and he was then 4 yrs old at Holy Family Orphan Asylum in New Castle, Lawrence County, PA and then I found him at age 14yrs old in the 1920 PA Census (also added online) at St. Paul's Orphanage in Pgh. PA.
I know he must have been born around 1905/07 but would like a definite Birthdate for him and any other information so I can track the correct one as there are many out there in the US Census at the same time frame by the same name. I know that St. Paul's holds the answers that I need and I would love to know this information. His name was Raymond FRYE (also variant spelling of FREY, FRY was used). If you can find anything or photos, I would appreciate the help. Thank YOU.

Old 04-09-2009, 05:35 PM

6 posts, read 28,965 times
Unhappy St. Paul's Orphanage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjaluvka View Post
My grandmother & her brother were there in the early 1920's. Lucy & Guy Pagliari. I would dearly love to see photos or hear from anyone there at that time. Nobody in my family will discuss why or for how long these 2 were there. I am waiting to hear back from the Pgh Diocese in hopes they had records about them in their archives.
If you hear anything or have any advise on getting records from them on your family..would you let me know. I have been trying for years to learn something on my Uncle Raymond FRYE (FREY, FRY) who was there at least sometime 1910/1920s. It would mean so much. I researched my family history for 45+ yrs and now I've stopped as it goes on and on but I can't help wanting to know more on one relative that was my mom's brother. If you find anything, please let me know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh