Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 11:23 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,803,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
Maybe we should just use this thread to vent, and let it slide everywhere else.

I've been ignoring capital/capitol. Capitol is the building where the government meets. Everything else is spelled capital.
Didn't we already try having a thread like that, a few months ago, and it got locked up?

Old 02-18-2009, 05:14 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,279,054 times
Since we're ranting I have another complaint. I would like to see the administrators of this forum eliminate some or all of the threads that are more than 1yr old, especially if the are asking a question. I have seen threads on this forum 2 yrs or older that are asking about relocation within a month or two. they cant possibly still be waiting for an answer.Through oversight, people respond to these threads without realizing it is 2 yrs old.

Old 02-18-2009, 10:51 AM

52 posts, read 206,978 times
Good point on culling old, time-sensitive posts on events on personal timelines long past. Some few topics have an "evergreen" quality, but many more would be better closed to new comments and killed off or kept simply as archive threads.

I'll add my peeve of ill-formed or insufficiently specific thread titles: "Suburbs", "Clean apartment?", etc. Yes, hovering the cursor over the thread title within the forum will reveal the opening sentence or two, but often the key geographic or defining term is buried and the thread fades away from being overlooked due to a thoughtless title.

Old 02-18-2009, 11:46 AM

1,382 posts, read 2,385,834 times
When I meet someone new I always make them take a spelling quiz. I carry a 3 by 5 laminated card for those times. If the young man or lady doesn't score at least 85%, really what's the point. I score 100% every time. I don't think that's asking to much.
Also, the athorities should incorperate my quiz at soberity check points. It's a safety issue. Driving while not being able to spell good kills millions every day !! If my quiz saves just one life .....
Now about punkuation. Use; thos"e suckers ? alot.. Ther* free and your bound,to to get some;right.

Old 02-18-2009, 02:36 PM

803 posts, read 2,970,234 times
It's been my experience in my years online, that the very people who tend to make tons of simple spelling errors or overuse abbreviations as if they were texting someone. . . . usually have a mindset that isn't very serious anyway, and they create the drama in their own lives without even seeing how they contribute to it!---It's a great state of denial they live in, and whenever you go to correct them and mention that society has higher standards, they want to call you a nazi or other derogatory term, because rather than them knuckling under to society, they expect society to bow down before THEM!.... As if we had a duty to go out of our way to understand them, or something.....

Sorry--- this ain't "No Child Left Behind", and your schools obviously failed you.... in the REAL world, only the strong survive... we only allow the weak to live, out of a basic sense of humanity, but the weak shall not inherit the earth, or even good jobs or fortune... they'll inherit a legacy of generational idiocy and then pass it down to their own kids, who'll wonder why the world has passed them by....

If you want people to understand you, then for God's sake, speak properly, write properly and YOU be the one to communicate effectively so that YOUR idea or issue can come across the way you intended it to.

"...If U spk like dis' an' no1 care to take U serious, U have No1 2 blm but Urself....."

Old 02-18-2009, 02:53 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,712,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by By~Tor View Post
It's been my experience in my years online, that the very people who tend to make tons of simple spelling errors or overuse abbreviations as if they were texting someone. . . . usually have a mindset that isn't very serious anyway, and they create the drama in their own lives without even seeing how they contribute to it!---It's a great state of denial they live in, and whenever you go to correct them and mention that society has higher standards, they want to call you a nazi or other derogatory term, because rather than them knuckling under to society, they expect society to bow down before THEM!.... As if we had a duty to go out of our way to understand them, or something.....

Sorry--- this ain't "No Child Left Behind", and your schools obviously failed you.... in the REAL world, only the strong survive... we only allow the weak to live, out of a basic sense of humanity, but the weak shall not inherit the earth, or even good jobs or fortune... they'll inherit a legacy of generational idiocy and then pass it down to their own kids, who'll wonder why the world has passed them by....

If you want people to understand you, then for God's sake, speak properly, write properly and YOU be the one to communicate effectively so that YOUR idea or issue can come across the way you intended it to.

"...If U spk like dis' an' no1 care to take U serious, U have No1 2 blm but Urself....."

In theory, I really don't care how 'tweeners talk to each other in their text messages. In reality, it's seeping into the culture at all levels and I hate it.

Old 02-18-2009, 03:09 PM

29,746 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
I really don't care how 'tweeners talk to each other in their text messages
It's kind of a "know your audience" thing. If teenagers want to text stuff using numbers and abbreviations, that's fine, but when they are emailing a teacher for an extension of an assignment, they should use proper English.

I have a few friends who are doing the online dating thing, and they forward emails from guys that are just awfully constructed and spelled. If they'd met these guys in a bar they'd never know what atrocious spellers they are, but these guys are trying to woo using the written word and failing miserably.

Old 02-18-2009, 06:04 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,375,591 times
^ Women should learn to spell quiet unless I am misunderstanding. Without exception to age or education they like a nice, quite evening at home or a quite dinner out.

Old 02-18-2009, 07:22 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,204,019 times
Quote:
Sorry--- this ain't "No Child Left Behind", and your schools obviously failed you....
I found this post to be 100% credible. That is, until you forgot the apostrophe in "school's". ( I ain't got no problem with "ain't'.)

But seriously--the way I see it is that in the online format, your spelling and grammar is your appearence, so to speak. How convincing, how credible, would you be in person with uncombed hair, a three day growth of beard, filthy clothes, and mismatched shoes? (Which describes me right now, except that I'm barefoot. )

Old 02-18-2009, 07:27 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
I found this post to be 100% credible. That is, until you forgot the apostrophe in "school's". ( I ain't got no problem with "ain't'.)

But seriously--the way I see it is that in the online format, your spelling and grammar is your appearence, so to speak. How convincing, how credible, would you be in person with uncombed hair, a three day growth of beard, filthy clothes, and mismatched shoes? (Which describes me right now, except that I'm barefoot. )

This stuff could go on forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh