Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 05:03 PM

701 posts, read 2,031,104 times

Advertisements

Any body know if they're typically hiring at a regular rate? Are there lots of applicants with them or can they always use more? Is there a good reputation with the department? Any/all info is great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 11:48 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,803,948 times
Police Bureau

You can find hiring information through this site.

Old 02-20-2009, 06:32 AM

Well, yeah. I realize that their website has general hiring information. Not looking for requirements so much as the reputation of the department with the public and the likelihood of being hired if all regulation/requirements are met (ratio of those applying to those actually going through the academy).

Thanks

Old 02-21-2009, 02:23 AM

94 posts, read 422,837 times
In Pittsbugh, you are required to go to the academy before you are hired.

I believe that Pittsburgh only gives their civil service test every 2 years, and depending how well you do on the test, you can wait up to 2 years.

Old 02-23-2009, 01:51 PM

^Well yeah, because there is always the possibility of flunking out of the academy, but I guess I should have asked what the applicant/hire ratio is like to be accepted for the academy. There's a slew of other stuff that must be completed in the hiring process (like background checks and psych evals) before being eligible to go to an academy.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:47 PM

133 posts, read 391,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat02 View Post
^Well yeah, because there is always the possibility of flunking out of the academy, but I guess I should have asked what the applicant/hire ratio is like to be accepted for the academy. There's a slew of other stuff that must be completed in the hiring process (like background checks and psych evals) before being eligible to go to an academy.
I don't know how it is in Pittsburgh, but the Massachusetts State Police only take people from the top of the test results down. The last time I remember hearing scores, they were taking the people who scored a 96 and 95 (out of 100) and this was at least the third class from that test. I don't know what the bottom scores were like, but I'd bet the recruits asked to the academy were around 2-3% of those who took the test. Different years of tests had different types of tests, too (each was commissioned separately and several years apart). One test counted grammar higher than others, while some had more scenarios to go through or more law info.
Your best bet is to find out when the test will be given and take it. Once you know your score, you'll have an idea whether you'll get in.

Old 02-24-2009, 12:27 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,376,647 times
I think the reputation with the public must be pretty good or else anti-cop incidents would be on the news. We've had two Superbowl celebrations recently and those arrested most likely deserved it and I'm surprised there wasn't more than what was reported.

I was downtown driving in a bus lane one summer and a cop coming in the opposite direction stopped me. His only concern was did I know I shouldn't be in that lane and if I really knew where I was going. That was it, no big deal. Even if you don't like cops in general, acts like that make you think they aren't so bad. A suburban cop would take you through an entire routine and give you a ticket.

Overall I think the Pittsburgh Police are respected. That's the feeling I get from living here.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:28 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,224,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
I think the reputation with the public must be pretty good or else anti-cop incidents would be on the news. We've had two Superbowl celebrations recently and those arrested most likely deserved it and I'm surprised there wasn't more than what was reported.

I was downtown driving in a bus lane one summer and a cop coming in the opposite direction stopped me. His only concern was did I know I shouldn't be in that lane and if I really knew where I was going. That was it, no big deal. Even if you don't like cops in general, acts like that make you think they aren't so bad. A suburban cop would take you through an entire routine and give you a ticket.

Overall I think the Pittsburgh Police are respected. That's the feeling I get from living here.

You may have been stopped by the Port Authority Police who monitor the bus lanes for violators. Pgh Police usually avoid that job and go after the real criminals.

It all depends on WHO the officer is and if he takes his job seriously. I have plenty of friends on the city as well as boros and county. Some are tough, some are easy, and alot depends on how their day is going when you run into them.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:04 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,376,647 times
^ I think you're right. They were driving a jeep.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:10 AM

2,193 posts, read 5,803,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat02 View Post
Well, yeah. I realize that their website has general hiring information. Not looking for requirements so much as the reputation of the department with the public and the likelihood of being hired if all regulation/requirements are met (ratio of those applying to those actually going through the academy).

Thanks
I'm not sure what the ratio is of applicants to hirees, but I'm sure it is just as scrutinizing as virtually any other civil service exam. As far as the reputation, it's pretty good for a city of its size. There's a public oversight committee(at least there used to be, I'm not sure if it's still around. Benzman66 can probably tell you that for sure or not), and you rarely hear of any misdoings by anyone in the department.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: