Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 08:50 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times

Advertisements

CD, like all message boards, has "trolls" from time to time, who harass members. There is one (or more?) who frequents some of the forums on CD that I visit. In the past, I disabled my DMs from all but friends, mods and amin b/c of nasty messages I received from this person/s. I left a post once on the Colorado off-topic thread that anyone who wishes to contact me by DM should send me a "friend" request. Anyone from Pittsburgh may do the same.

Another one of this troll's tactics is to give rep points with snarky messages. Several people on these forums have received these messages, including me. This activity increased in recent weeks, and then on Saturday, this particular troll tried a new tactic of sending nasty rep comments to other people and signing my name. I even got banned for a brief time for "inappropriate language", until it was discovered that it was not actually me who sent the message to one particular person. I know that several people on the Pittsburgh forum got these reps.

I spent a great deal of time working with the mods this weekend. I can't tell you any of the details, but for now, the problem is resolved. Since no one knows when this person, or persons, will re-appear, I will keep my DMs as they are now. Be assured that I do not use such tactics as sending nasty messages via rep points.

I want to thank several people on this board for having faith in me. I also want to thank moderator mrstewart for all she did to resolve this; also LadyRobyn for her suggestion that I put the comment "I didn't send any nasty reps, contact a mod" under my name, and for her other help, and to all the other mods that helped. markablue was able to delete all this person's messages, and the rep remained. If anyone has any questions about this issue, they may contact mrstewart via DM.

Katiana

Old 03-09-2009, 09:09 AM

297 posts, read 505,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
CD, like all message boards, has "trolls" from time to time, who harass members. There is one (or more?) who frequents some of the forums on CD that I visit. In the past, I disabled my DMs from all but friends, mods and amin b/c of nasty messages I received from this person/s. I left a post once on the Colorado off-topic thread that anyone who wishes to contact me by DM should send me a "friend" request. Anyone from Pittsburgh may do the same.

Another one of this troll's tactics is to give rep points with snarky messages. Several people on these forums have received these messages, including me. This activity increased in recent weeks, and then on Saturday, this particular troll tried a new tactic of sending nasty rep comments to other people and signing my name. I even got banned for a brief time for "inappropriate language", until it was discovered that it was not actually me who sent the message to one particular person. I know that several people on the Pittsburgh forum got these reps.

I spent a great deal of time working with the mods this weekend. I can't tell you any of the details, but for now, the problem is resolved. Since no one knows when this person, or persons, will re-appear, I will keep my DMs as they are now. Be assured that I do not use such tactics as sending nasty messages via rep points.

I want to thank several people on this board for having faith in me. I also want to thank moderator mrstewart for all she did to resolve this; also LadyRobyn for her suggestion that I put the comment "I didn't send any nasty reps, contact a mod" under my name, and for her other help, and to all the other mods that helped. markablue was able to delete all this person's messages, and the rep remained. If anyone has any questions about this issue, they may contact mrstewart via DM.

Katiana
What a waste of my time. I thought you were offering a special massage.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:13 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjd View Post
With how stressed I've been lately I am in DIRE need of one of those "special" massages myself! LOL!

All kidding aside, I don't think ANYONE would have seriously taken those negative comments from you seriously, Katiana. You've proven yourself to be one of the more level-headed "regulars" on this forum, and even though I wasn't hapless enough to be chosen as one of this troll's "targets" I never would have given it a second thought. As some on here know I, too, was a victim of a troll trying to defame me. This impostor, "Scranberry," went running amok posting all sorts of inane material and even copied and pasted my status updates and home location. I had to head to the CA forum to do some "damage control" so that those members didn't confuse the two of us!

Katiana, I'd take this as a personal compliment. If someone wants to COPY you and I, then I guess we're trend-setters!

Old 03-09-2009, 09:26 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjd View Post

...same here, and with a happy ending.

Some people just like to cause problems. When I first got on this forum I received a profanity laced rep comment. I thought it was funny since the clown hyphenated mf. Only Spider-Man is hyphenated.

There are a lot of jerks out there.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by COPANUT View Post
...same here, and with a happy ending.

Some people just like to cause problems. When I first got on this forum I received a profanity laced rep comment. I thought it was funny since the clown hyphenated mf. Only Spider-Man is hyphenated.

There are a lot of jerks out there.
I'm just glad there's no more negative reputation system to detract from our points. The folks on the NJ forum back in late-2006 through early-2007 most certainly were "liberal" with them! "I can't outwit you in a debate, so I'll just smack you with negative reputation!" LOL!

Old 03-09-2009, 09:47 AM

439 posts, read 1,474,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

Katiana
LOL, I got a rep comment signed Katiana about a week ago that called me an idiot

Here it is:

'Nobody cares about German restaurants you idiot-Katiana'

Old 03-09-2009, 10:05 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
^^^That is exactly why I posted this. Rest assured, it's not my style. Contact a mod. It will help them. You know, the funny thing is, I didn't even look at that thread about German restaurants!

Old 03-09-2009, 11:43 AM

91 posts, read 139,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
LOL, I got a rep comment signed Katiana about a week ago that called me an idiot

Here it is:

'Nobody cares about German restaurants you idiot-Katiana'
They HAVE to be able to trace all of those, at least you'd like to think so. There must be a way to see if where they are originating.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubybelle View Post
They HAVE to be able to trace all of those, at least you'd like to think so. There must be a way to see if where they are originating.
I believe they can trace this back to the original user's IP address and then block that address from accessing this site. Unfortunately if that troll wished to go to the public library and continuously create a new account on each and every computer in there until his/her options were exhausted, then there's really not much that can be done.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:47 AM

91 posts, read 139,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
I believe they can trace this back to the original user's IP address and then block that address from accessing this site. Unfortunately if that troll wished to go to the public library and continuously create a new account on each and every computer in there until his/her options were exhausted, then there's really not much that can be done.
LOL, well if they go to all that trouble, more power to them. However, they really need to get a life instead...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh