Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 07:19 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,139,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Well, everyone thinks Omaha is some little cow town on the Great Plains. My cousin from Pgh thought it was a state. Per city-data: Omaha, pop. 390,007; Pittsburgh, 334,563. Pittsburgh's population has shrunk since that was published, and Omaha's has grown.
I am not saying that it is a cow town. Did you read my comment? My point is that city populations are totally irrelevant.

Old 03-29-2007, 08:06 AM

2,902 posts, read 10,069,661 times
I know it because it's all I hear about when i'm with my friends. I'm not sure if there's some big stats organization that has documented it. I know it because my friends, education majors trying to get employed, talk about these things everyday. My one friend didn't have his application accepted at North Hills because he didn't have a 4.0, would you like his and their personal home number? CALL NORTH HILLS school district if you really want to find out if it's true.

They live and breath these things, it's their life, it's their career.

THEY KNOW.

Just because some organization doesn't easily catalog, reference, or alphabetize the facts and put them on goodle doesn't mean they aren't true.. and I imagine they ARE easily found. Just call North Hills.

My god, what is this crusade you have against Pittsburgh.

Old 03-29-2007, 08:08 AM

632 posts, read 1,740,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boylocke View Post
I know it because it's all I hear about when i'm with my friends. I'm not sure if there's some big stats organization that has documented it. I know it because my friends, education majors trying to get employed, talk about these things everyday. My one friend didn't have his application accepted at North Hill because he didn't have a 4.0. CALL NORTH HILLS school district if you really want to find out if it's true.

They live and breath these things here, it's their life, it's their career.

THEY KNOW.

Just because some organization doesn't easily catalog, reference, or alphabatize the facts doesn't mean they aren't true.. and I imagine they ARE easily found. Just call North Hills.
Even if you did provide a link, she'd just dismiss it by saying "you can lie with statistics". (Unless, of course, you provided statistics showing how crappy Pittsburgh is - those would undoubtably be true and unbiased... )

Old 03-29-2007, 08:23 AM

LOL How funny and so true

Old 03-29-2007, 11:19 AM

2,462 posts, read 8,922,157 times
I have personal experience with the North Hills School District, so there's no need to call! They don't NEED any more teachers, because they are closing schools. They are closing schools because of declining population. The school-age population is declining in Ross and West View because young families are NOT moving into the area. Those are the facts. This is not a highly sought-after school district that hires only the cream of the crop as teachers. Your friends with the education majors need to understand that areas with lots of senior citizens and fewer young families don't have a high demand for teachers. Surely they researched those factors before deciding to major in education?

Old 03-29-2007, 12:53 PM

48 posts, read 137,929 times
Thank you Boylocke :-)
Hearing from someone that loves Pittsburgh is in my opinion the best opinion to hear.Not that I don't want to know all of the facts but even facts can be taken different ways.So,thank you again and also for the offer to show us around...very kind of you.We may just take you up on it :-)

Old 03-29-2007, 02:43 PM

Read my thread on Pittsburgh Misconceptions, it'll show my love for the city. And it would be my pleasure to show you around. I'm a young male, getting my doctorate in Pharmacy at Duquesne, and I've lived downtown for over five years now.

I know a lot of the ins and outs of Pittsburgh and don't hesitate at all to call in that favor.

Old 03-29-2007, 04:08 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittnurse
And no, I wouldn't want them going to a school that was getting smaller through people moving out.
I have no idea where you're getting your statistics, but many of the Pittsburgh area school districts are growing so much that there isn't enough room to accomodate the students. The districts are starting to move 4th through 6th grades out of the elementary schools to make room for the larger population of students for grades k-3. These are buildings that managed to educate the babyboomer population and there's not enough room for today's students.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
The quality is bound to go down.
That's quite a slipperly slope logical fallacy!

Old 03-29-2007, 06:02 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,922,157 times
Just curious -- which school districts are experiencing this great growth in the Pittsburgh area? I know that North Hills is planning to close three of its seven elementary schools, and that it has already moved its middle school students into one of the former high school buildings.
So -- are these growing districts located in areas with lots of new construction, or are they older districts that are beginning to recover from declining enrollments during the 1970s-1990s?

Old 03-29-2007, 06:32 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claremarie View Post
Just curious -- which school districts are experiencing this great growth in the Pittsburgh area? I know that North Hills is planning to close three of its seven elementary schools, and that it has already moved its middle school students into one of the former high school buildings.
So -- are these growing districts located in areas with lots of new construction, or are they older districts that are beginning to recover from declining enrollments during the 1970s-1990s?
Kids from Midland, PA now go to high school in OHIO!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh