Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2009, 12:39 PM

315 posts, read 665,472 times

Advertisements

So basically I'm looking for a one bedroom apartment (Non-studio/efficiency) in either Lawrenceville (around Butler/Main), Bloomfield (Around Liberty), Squirrel Hill (near Forbes/Murray), Shadyside (within reasonable distance of Ellsworth or Walnut), or Friendship (Preferably between Pacific and Aiken). I know exactly where I want to live but can't really find any good deals. I'm looking to pay like 600-700 month plus utilities.

Am I pricing myself out of the market by doing this? I figure Lawrenceville and Bloomfield would be cheaper for obvious reasons but when I find something in this price range, 50% of the time the place is a hole. I don't feel that living in Shadyside is worth the price, considering I know people will live well above their means just to live there. How much can I expect to pay for an apartment in any of these areas that is of decent size and upkeep.

Also are there any good renting companies out of the East End? The last one I rented through was prudential in squirrel hill, but the landlord ended up being a slumlord (Surprising).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 02:26 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,026,276 times
Part of the problem is that you're not only looking at some of the most desirable neighborhoods, you are also looking at some of the most desirable parts of those neighborhoods (e.g., the ones close to the local commerical districts). That may help explain why you aren't finding good deals on decent-sized apartment in good condition, but I would think if you added $200-300/month to your budget, you would find more choices fitting your search parameters.

Some management companies to consider for East End apartments are (in particular order) Mozart, Franklin West, Forbes, and Walnut Capital. Note this generally isn't the best approach for bargain-hunters (for that you need to comb the Post Gazette, craigslist, and even just drive around).

Old 06-08-2009, 09:18 PM

522 posts, read 1,794,577 times
I would think it could be done for that price range. I have a friend that lives on Butler above some of the new artsy-type shops and is paying $550 for a one bedroom. Everything in it isn't brand new and all redone in the popular loft-style, concrete counters and polished hardwood floors, exposed brick-style. But, it is a very nice apartment. I'd check Craigslist and avoid the large management companies as mentioned by BrianTH. The problem is these places you mention are all supposed to be the great "up-and-coming" revitalization areas, but you're getting into the market about 2 years too late to find a real deal: $1,200/month for a renovated warehouse seems to be the norm anymore. And aside from South Side, Shadyside offers the least bang for your buck in the city...price per square foot is borderline silly.

Of all the places you mentioned, I think Bloomfield will offer the best opportunity to find a good deal. Shadyside is, well, overpriced Shadyside. Lawrenceville is the new Strip (is that working, by the way? Does anyone actually patron all these new spas, coffee houses, and art galleries?), and Squirrel Hill near Murray has long had price premiums built in. Heck, even Bloomfield is probably increasing in property value as we speak with the addition of the new Children's Hospital.

Old 06-08-2009, 09:21 PM

315 posts, read 665,472 times
yea, i've been looking mostly in bloomfield, but there's just not really much available there now. i'm getting a couple of leads in shadyside, but i'm leary moving there because of the pricing and probably crappy landlords. one is with mj kelly who seems terrible. i'm a professional not a college student so i don't want to have to play the same games i did when i was student. i wouldn't really even consider lawrenceville but it's getting near my moveout day so i would settle for there.

Old 06-08-2009, 09:36 PM

522 posts, read 1,794,577 times
Craigslist is your friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh