Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 02:17 PM

10 posts, read 66,234 times

Advertisements

New to Pittsburgh, and my partner and I are looking for nice outdoor-type get-a-ways from Friday night to Sunday evenings...

We love relaxing to a nice scenic view, and we're both photography fanatics so we like to bring out our fancy dSLRs as much as we can. Trails are nice and so are lakes, rivers, etc. We visited Erie, PA last year before Pittsburgh and loved the Presque Isle State Park, so we're looking for that sort of thing.

In a way, though, we're sort of sick seeing the same old green mountainous terrain in PA (as breathtaking as it is, our trips have sort of overkilled it...), but I guess the only way we can get over that is if we travel far to the West, but we're not looking for anything that would take longer than 2 days.

We're fan of PA state parks, but havent been to many on the West side of the state, mostly the central and east side, so nice western state park recommendations would be quite welcome.

Thank you :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2009, 02:26 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,816,440 times
We loved Clairon County. It's north of Pittsburgh. Beautiful place! They have the Clairon Lodge and other cabins to rent. I haven't been in years so sorry I can't be of more help. I'm sure they have a lot of websites that would give you more info.

Old 06-14-2009, 02:31 PM

125 posts, read 282,241 times
If you're into rivers and rafting I would recommend Ohiopyle in Fayette County, also check out falling waters which is nearby.

Old 06-14-2009, 03:47 PM

362 posts, read 919,456 times
Go to Cook (not Cook's) Forest in Clarion County. While there take a canoe trip down the Clarion River. I suggest starting at the upper part of the Clarion.(past Belltown) There are many homes for rent along the river or you can stay at the Clarion River Lodge.

Old 06-14-2009, 05:45 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAhmed1022 View Post
New to Pittsburgh, and my partner and I are looking for nice outdoor-type get-a-ways from Friday night to Sunday evenings...

We love relaxing to a nice scenic view, and we're both photography fanatics so we like to bring out our fancy dSLRs as much as we can. Trails are nice and so are lakes, rivers, etc. We visited Erie, PA last year before Pittsburgh and loved the Presque Isle State Park, so we're looking for that sort of thing.

In a way, though, we're sort of sick seeing the same old green mountainous terrain in PA (as breathtaking as it is, our trips have sort of overkilled it...), but I guess the only way we can get over that is if we travel far to the West, but we're not looking for anything that would take longer than 2 days.

We're fan of PA state parks, but havent been to many on the West side of the state, mostly the central and east side, so nice western state park recommendations would be quite welcome.

Thank you :-)
McConnell's Mills in Lawrence County. Pennsylvania State Parks - McConnells Mill - PA DCNR

It's got rapid water, some waterfalls (small at Hell's Hollow) and a covered bridge. Gorgeous picture taking area. Great trails.

Old 06-14-2009, 06:08 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
If you want to go a little farther, say on a three day weekend, try the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore in NW Indiana. It would take you about 8 hrs to drive there.

Old 06-14-2009, 11:15 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,231,669 times
Default Omni Bedford Springs

Omni Bedford Springs Resort | Pennsylvania Golf & Spa Resort

Old 06-15-2009, 03:11 PM

892 posts, read 2,392,936 times
We drove to Niagara Falls a few weekends back and had an AWESOME time. We even stopped through Buffalo and had some "official" wings at the Anchor Bar there. As an added bonus, the drive takes you past half a dozen wineries, all of which offer tours (just in case the zillions of activities and sights at the Falls don't completely fill your available travel time).

It's better to cross at the "Peace" bridge in Buffalo than the "Rainbow" bridge up at Niagara, if you're concerned at all about border wait times...and of course since the new rules are in effect now remember to bring your passports.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:51 PM

969 posts, read 2,073,921 times
I would recommend heading up to NY also. I love PA, but the landscape doesn't vary a whole lot outside of the Erie area. NY has a huge variety. Besides the falls, go further north up to the fort on lake ontario, niagara on the lake in Canada is very quaint. Also check Letchworth state park in NY, probably the most spectacular gorge in the east, much different than the gorges in PA because it's a straight drop and not completely green, lots of rocky exposed areas. The finger lakes area is great to visit too, check out watkins glen state park. The adirondack mountains are not too far, impressive mountains and hundreds of lakes. The thousand islands is another great place to visit, on the eastern end of lake ontario.

Old 06-16-2009, 05:51 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,396,829 times
The Hocking Hills area of SE Ohio is nice, as well: Hocking Hills Region of Ohio - hockinghills.com - "HOCKING HILLS INTERNET GUIDE"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh