Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 01:01 PM

85 posts, read 373,566 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody,

I am looking for information on gifted education in the Pittsburgh area school districts. I have heard (and read) that North Allegheny School District has a strong gifted program, but what about other districts in the North Hills and South Hills? I'd love to hear from parents who have children involved in gifted ed programs and classes throughout southwestern PA. What have you liked and disliked about the gifted programs? Did you feel your child was challenged to their academical potential?

Thanks in advance for your responses!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2007, 05:59 PM

809 posts, read 2,409,882 times
I know kids who went through North Allegheny's program and have done very well. Quaker Valley also deserves being looked at. Same with most of the good schools in the area, like Mt. Lebo, Peters Township, Upper St. Clair, etc.

Old 10-30-2007, 06:19 PM

104 posts, read 353,545 times
I just moved to this area and have a kid who just entered first grade. He has ADHD and is (typically) pretty advanced academically and pretty behind socially. We were assured by the principal of his new school (in Mt Lebanon) that they would accommodate him, as in, let him read at his own level within his classroom. We were also reassured by the reputation of the Mt Lebo school system.

At this point, we're not so happy. He's still reading Dick and Jane at school and "the Hobbit" at home. We've spoken to the teacher and the principal about it, who claim that they adjust the work to the pupils, but he still comes home with worksheets way below his level, and always gets 100% on everything. While I think it's okay for him right now to be successful academically and work on his social skills (which are improving, so maybe they know more than I do..) I'm a bit worried about the future. In his case, being bored in school could really make his situation worse, because boredom is quickly followed by bad behavior.

They said I could opt to have him evaluated for "gifted" status, but that there's wasn't much of a different program for gifted students until later years in school. There's also a point system when you test for gifted status, based on several different evaluations and tests. It turns out, if the parents ask for the child to be evaluated (rather than the teacher), they don't get to take one test, and so it's impossible for them to get those 3 or 4 points, so most of those kids don't qualify to be deemed gifted. The teachers can suggest these evaluations at the end of kindergarten and at the beginning of second grade. We decided to wait on our son until he starts school next year. Then at least he'd have an equal chance.

I'm sure it's difficult to be accommodating within the schools, but we have been a bit disappointed in the way things are going so far. But it's only been a few months, and my son LOVES school. So what do I know? I guess I'll need to be more patient. (not my best trait...)

So that's my tiny two cents.

Old 10-31-2007, 09:14 PM

Thanks for the input. JHPrentiss, your son's experience sounds very similar to what my daughter went through in kindergarten. It was so frustrating to know that she was not being challenged at her level and the school here (in Ohio) initially wasn't that helpful. She finally ended up skipping kindergarten (which was okay because she was a borderline birthday, now she's the youngest in her class instead of the oldest). But it took me a couple of more years to find a really good school environment for her. I did have her tested; she qualified as gifted, and was put on a waiting list for a full time gifted program in fourth grade. Finallly she got into that program in fifth grade, which was exceptionally good. Now she's in sixth grade, and I'm actually quite happy with how the administration at her middle school (again, still in Ohio) is meeting the needs of the gifted kids. They have honors/advanced classes in several subjects as well as special pull out writing/poetry/math clubs.

We are planning to move back to Pittsburgh (as soon as my husband finds employment there), and I want to find a similar situation for her there. I have heard, however, that some of the more highly ranked school districts actually prefer not to identify too many kids as gifted, to avoid an "elitist" mentality as far as who qualifies for services, etc. I can understand the logic of that to an extent, but it also leaves the kids that need (and these kids really do need extra challenges, not just more of the same work) more stimulation.

If you want to discuss more, jhprentiss, feel free to pm me. I have pretty strong opinions on this whole matter, but I've learned a lot about it in the past few years. Probably the main lesson I've learned is that parents must be extremely proactive in advocating for their children when it comes to education.

Old 11-01-2007, 09:23 PM

743 posts, read 2,234,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burghgirl View Post
Thanks for the input. JHPrentiss, your son's experience sounds very similar to what my daughter went through in kindergarten. It was so frustrating to know that she was not being challenged at her level and the school here (in Ohio) initially wasn't that helpful. She finally ended up skipping kindergarten (which was okay because she was a borderline birthday, now she's the youngest in her class instead of the oldest). But it took me a couple of more years to find a really good school environment for her. I did have her tested; she qualified as gifted, and was put on a waiting list for a full time gifted program in fourth grade. Finallly she got into that program in fifth grade, which was exceptionally good. Now she's in sixth grade, and I'm actually quite happy with how the administration at her middle school (again, still in Ohio) is meeting the needs of the gifted kids. They have honors/advanced classes in several subjects as well as special pull out writing/poetry/math clubs.

We are planning to move back to Pittsburgh (as soon as my husband finds employment there), and I want to find a similar situation for her there. I have heard, however, that some of the more highly ranked school districts actually prefer not to identify too many kids as gifted, to avoid an "elitist" mentality as far as who qualifies for services, etc. I can understand the logic of that to an extent, but it also leaves the kids that need (and these kids really do need extra challenges, not just more of the same work) more stimulation.

If you want to discuss more, jhprentiss, feel free to pm me. I have pretty strong opinions on this whole matter, but I've learned a lot about it in the past few years. Probably the main lesson I've learned is that parents must be extremely proactive in advocating for their children when it comes to education.
Burghgirl....I've been also contemplating a move to Pgh from Northern Virginia. With three kids (one dyslexic, one gifted and one "jury still out"...lol..) , as you can imagine, I have also been trying to get various info on schools. I started a thread here a while ago on catholic schools and got a few responses, but not many.

My middle child is currently in a gifted center (starts 3rd gr here) where there are "self-contained" GT (Gifted and Talented) classes with gifted students only. Here, the parent or the teacher can refer the child at designated times and eligibility is based on tests scores, report cards and parent and teacher recommendation.

I'm wondering if the lack of responses to your thread re gifted programs is an indicator that GT is not a priority in Pgh schools. I hope that's not the case.

Also, with soooo many separate school districts in Pgh(here we have a county-run school district) I'm assuming each school system has their own testing and procedures and resources re gifted classes.

Do all the school districts offer a gifted program/center? What does that entail? How can one compare a gifted progam in one school district to another and another and so on?

I'd like to share information as each of us gathers it, if that would be worthwhile.

Take Care.

Old 11-02-2007, 01:18 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beth ann View Post
Burghgirl....I've been also contemplating a move to Pgh from Northern Virginia. With three kids (one dyslexic, one gifted and one "jury still out"...lol..) , as you can imagine, I have also been trying to get various info on schools. I started a thread here a while ago on catholic schools and got a few responses, but not many.

My middle child is currently in a gifted center (starts 3rd gr here) where there are "self-contained" GT (Gifted and Talented) classes with gifted students only. Here, the parent or the teacher can refer the child at designated times and eligibility is based on tests scores, report cards and parent and teacher recommendation.

I'm wondering if the lack of responses to your thread re gifted programs is an indicator that GT is not a priority in Pgh schools. I hope that's not the case.

Also, with soooo many separate school districts in Pgh(here we have a county-run school district) I'm assuming each school system has their own testing and procedures and resources re gifted classes.

Do all the school districts offer a gifted program/center? What does that entail? How can one compare a gifted progam in one school district to another and another and so on?

I'd like to share information as each of us gathers it, if that would be worthwhile.

Take Care.
My niece and nephew went to Avonworth in Ben Avon... and they had a great gifted program -- my niece was in it. Sounds similar. But they graduated in 1997-1998, so I don't know what changes it's undergone...

Old 11-02-2007, 10:32 AM

104 posts, read 353,545 times
We considered buying a house in the Avonworth area as well, and heard great things about the gifted program there. Of course, that was from the real estate agent!

Old 11-03-2007, 09:34 AM

I will have to look into Avonworth's gifted program. Also, I am going to check out PAGE (Pennsylvania Association for Gifted Education). I would think they have some good info on Pittsburgh area school district gifted programs. I've thought about contacting them in the past but just never did it. This online discussion has motivated me to finally check into it!

Beth Ann, I will pm you since it sounds like we are in similar situations as far as doing research on this topic before we make the move to Pittsburgh.

Old 01-01-2008, 07:15 PM

1 posts, read 8,117 times
North Hills has a nice pull out program for grades 1-6. The students go to a resource room w/3-4 other students and work on independent projects, critical thinking activities, etc. We were pleased. BUT....in Jr. High and High School, the program is terrible and borders on being in violation of Chapter 16...There is no differentiated instruction, only field trips (that parents are required to pay for!) The district will not provide classes designed for only gifted students...I was informed at GIEP conferences that my child recieves gifted services in the Honors and A.P. classes...I pointed out that there were "non-gifted" students in the classes as well and never recieved an appropriate explanation...Needless to say, my child does not participate in GATE very often...It's thought to be a waste of time...North Hills has a great academic program outside of GATE...I am very pleased with the overall education my children are receiving...The school system is not too big nor too small...As baby bear would say, it's just right.

Old 01-28-2008, 12:35 PM

5 posts, read 19,421 times
Tallysmom & others:

I have found 1 or 2 homes in the Avondale School District & I hear what you said about a good "Gifted" program, but 1 thing that puzzles me is why Avondale ranks so far down on the list of test scores statewide: #83 out of all PA state test scores vs. #60 for Moon, #26 Quaker Valley? Is it just a lack of resources like computers? Or does the district encompass one area or borough where the students don't do as well? I realize test scores aren't everything, so if you could elaborate a little on what this district is like, I'd appreciate that!!!

I will keep Quaker Valley in mind--thanks to whoever said that.

Anyone know anything about Deer Lakes School District--just east of Hampton S.D. but #139th-ranked S.D. state-wide???

Or how about Montour S.D.'s gifted program? (Ranked #102 in PA)??

I'm moving to Pitt. soon, and my daughter needs a Gifted Program. I'm glad I looked here, as NORTH HILLS is big on our list of places to look & I didn't know they didn't have classes just for Gifted Students alone--mostly AP w/mixed students. Still, it sounds like a good school district outside of "Gifted" to I'll keep it on my list.

I'm shying away from No. Allegheny based on its sheer size, I went to a similar, #2-ranked in the state high school & I was miserable--it's not good for a shyer kid to be in such a big school & my daughter is showing similar, though much less, tendencies, with my help.

Thank you all:

Sheryl
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh