Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 12:17 PM

119 posts, read 460,359 times

Advertisements

The Pirates are my favorite local team. I'm young but do remember their last good teams in the early 90's. Pittsburgh's sort of an underdog type of town, so despite their ineptness on the field and in the front office the last 17 years (I do support the approach Huntington is taking now), something just connects for me and the Pirates. One of these days, maybe 2,3, or 25 years from now they'll get good again, and all those Pittsburghers who abandoned them to root for other baseball teams should so not be allowed to jump back on the bucco bandwagon...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 02:49 PM

3 posts, read 7,675 times
I have lived in suburban Philadelphia all my life, but my late dad was born in the Pittsburgh area. He grew up in the New Kensington area until his father died when he was still a young boy and he was sent to Philadelphia to attend Girard College (school for orphaned or fatherless children). He met my mom, they married and they raised a family here. He loved and followed the Pirates his whole adult life (we sadly lost him at 54), although the Phillies were his adopted hometown team. I have great memories of attending double-headers at Veterans’ Stadium with my dad when the Pirates were in town. He loved baseball; was not really a fan of other sports.

]I still have a lot of family in the Pittsburgh area (Lower Burrell and Natrona Heights, specifically). In fact, I was talking to one of my cousins a few weeks ago (he was in Philly for a family event) and he said he tries to get to as many Pirates games as he can. PNC Park is really awesome; while I love Citizen’s Bank Park (and the Phillies), PNC is just gorgeous. He was the first to call me when the Phillies won last year and we were all thrilled when the Steelers and Pens won. We have a friendly rivalry about it, but nothing too serious.

In fact, the Pirates won the World Series about a month after my dad passed away in 1979. He would have been very proud. And the Phillies won the following year, so that was pretty great for all of us.

We have been through many lean years here in Philly too. The last few years have been a fabulous run (the Phillies, anyway!) and we are all enjoying it. I know we are in for a few dry seasons eventually; that is the way it goes. I follow the Pirates and know how difficult it has been for them lately. Things will turn around for the Pirates; rebuilding takes time. While I love all the major sports teams here, the Phillies are my team and I am a little lost when the season ends.

Old 09-24-2009, 05:05 PM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
I think guys like Andrew McCutcheon and the Jones kid will lead the team next year and could provide hope for the Pirates. I wouldn't be surprised if McCutcheon is the Rookie of the Year in the National League.

Old 09-25-2009, 04:15 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,549,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtPGH View Post
One of these days, maybe 2,3, or 25 years from now they'll get good again, and all those Pittsburghers who abandoned them to root for other baseball teams should so not be allowed to jump back on the bucco bandwagon...

Count on 25!!!

You'll never work for the Pirates, they don't care who comes to the games, as long as there are fannies in the seats.

The Pirates are my favorite local team, I'd rather attend a Bucco game over the Steelers and Pens any day. I like baseball. To those that say it's boring, I say that the game changes on every pitch. Hockey/football is checkers, baseball is chess.

However, I have dropped my season tickets after about 20 yrs until the current ownership decides to field a winning team.

Damn, World champs in Hockey and Football, and I'm baseball fan!!!

I guess I should move to Philey. NOT

Old 09-25-2009, 05:04 PM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,708,359 times
I would rather see the Pirates win a world series than see the Steelers or Penguins win another one.

I can't imagine how cool a meaningful game in Sept. would be at PNC.

Old 09-25-2009, 06:18 PM

487 posts, read 1,380,540 times
"Ray, people will come Ray. They'll come to Iowa for reasons they can't even fathom. They'll turn up your driveway not knowing for sure why they're doing it. They'll arrive at your door as innocent as children, longing for the past. Of course, we won't mind if you look around, you'll say. It's only $20 per person. They'll pass over the money without even thinking about it: for it is money they have and peace they lack. And they'll walk out to the bleachers; sit in shirtsleeves on a perfect afternoon. They'll find they have reserved seats somewhere along one of the baselines, where they sat when they were children and cheered their heroes. And they'll watch the game and it'll be as if they dipped themselves in magic waters. The memories will be so thick they'll have to brush them away from their faces. People will come Ray. The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game: it's a part of our past, Ray. It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again. Oh... people will come Ray. People will most definitely come. "
- James Earl Jones as Terence Mann, from Field of Dreams

Old 09-25-2009, 11:02 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
I'm not a Pirates fan but I'm a big fan of PNC Park, especially when you can get tickets for as low as seven bucks. For that kind of money I almost wouldn't care if it was a little league game on the field. I think $7 to hang out in perhaps the best park in all of baseball is worth the price of admission.

Old 09-26-2009, 12:08 AM

1,862 posts, read 2,386,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny C View Post
I would rather see the Pirates win a world series than see the Steelers or Penguins win another one.

I can't imagine how cool a meaningful game in Sept. would be at PNC.
That's why I still love the 1960 Pirates. The Steelers weren't the Steelers we know now... hockey was barely a blip on the radare... but the Pirates, who were not long before this series were known as the rinky dinks, beat the mighty Yankees! Mazeroski's homer in game 7 was the best sports moment in my life. Way beyond cool....

I wish it could happen again for the fans now. It would be so huge, and unfortunately, so unlikely to happen. But one can always hope!

The 60 Bucs:

YouTube - The 1960 World Series, Yankees versus Pirates
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh