Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2009, 02:40 PM

103 posts, read 301,958 times

Advertisements

Which city do you like the most with regards to things to do downtown, nightlife, cultural/social/ethnic diversity, restuarants, and type of attitude toward outsiders and their respective sports teams .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 03:00 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,898,719 times
This probably should be posted in the City vs City....Since you will not a get a fair representation between both city's in just the Pittsburgh forum

Old 07-28-2009, 10:04 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,026,276 times
I like Denver, but I actually think the best parts of the Denver area are in some of the towns around Denver. Boulder, for example, is a really nice college town right up against the mountains.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:11 AM

1,776 posts, read 2,698,690 times
My partner lives in Denver. We've been dating long distance for 2.5 years (argh!) so I'm out there every two months usually. Denver has more of everything you mentioned, but there are tradeoffs.

Here's how I see it:

Denver - More cutting edge restaurants. Nightlife is better known for it's club scene rather than it's bar scene. Many more latin/asian immigrants in Denver (which for some strange reason seems to have created more of a racist attitude), very strong arts scene. City is much more spread out. If you hate sprawl, this may be a detractor...but if you like modern architecture you'll love it. Denver is just as passionate about it's sports as Pittsburgh is. A tie here, although I feel like Denver gets a little more attitude-ish about it's sports, whereas Pittsburgh you're likely to get a lighthearted jab instead.

Pittsburgh - Terrible club scene, great bar scene. Less immigrants, but seems to be pretty race tolerant. Very strong arts scene. Very dense, old, eastern city. Not a ton of modern architecture. Better city parks. Restaurant scene is really starting to pick up. This year has been great for new/inventive concept openings.

Old 10-10-2009, 10:41 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,765,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I like Denver, but I actually think the best parts of the Denver area are in some of the towns around Denver. Boulder, for example, is a really nice college town right up against the mountains.
I have generally positive view of Denver, progressive without being sanctimonious, near some fantastic country, and great weather, sunny (but very windy) in winter. Sparse vegetation that might feel a bit barren coming from the East or Far West.

I would offer a counter point on Boulder. It is certainly in one of the most scenic settings of any American city, with hiking in the Flatirons right off downtown, high tech jobs,etc. However, as a destination for the trendy and well-heeled of the US for several decades, it is very expensive and can feel a bit self-righteously left in politics. That could be blessing or a curse, I suppose...In any case, that was my impression commuting from Ft. Collins, CO about 12 years ago. Not sure if things have changed. Ft. Collins is pretty down to earth though, and a fine city in its own right. The whole Front Range has many positives, but sprawl was the thing that I found most offputting. Colorado Springs is very attractive too, but pretty hard right element there. Speaking of a Maglev train, the Cheyenne,WY to Pueblo,CO corridor would be an ideal place for one.

Old 10-10-2009, 12:34 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,026,276 times
I tend not to be terribly sensitive to the exact nature of local politics, but I agree about Boulder having gotten pretty expensive (at least by interior, if not coastal, standards). Of course that is just one example of the smaller towns in the Denver region, although I gather most of them have also gotten a bit more pricey recently (if not as pricey as Boulder).

Old 10-10-2009, 01:26 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Dang! The computer ate my reply when I hit a wrong key. OK, short version:

Denver is more diverse. It is a majority-minority city.

Minorities a majority in Denver - The Denver Post

The burbs are also more diverse than many (most?) Pittsburgh suburbs. My kids' high school, 25 miles from Denver, has 14% minority enrollment. The high school where my parents' old house is located (not where I went as it wasn't built then, lol) about the same distance from Pgh, is 98% white.

About 50% of people in Denver were born in Colorado. This includes children of transplants. It's probably about 30% or so of adults. So you have a feeling that "everyone is from somewhere else", and everyone went to college somewhere else, so people are pretty tolerant of fans of non-local sports teams. H***, when I went to a Steelers/Broncos game a couple years ago, there were at least as many Steelers fans there as Broncos fans. There is a Nebraska Cornhuskers fan club called "Coloradans for Nebraksa". Texans and Californians are sometimes bashed, generally in fun, but not always.

Ethnic diversity is not "celebrated" the way it is in Pittsburgh. There was a large Italian community in NW Denver which has dispersed, in large part to the western suburbs. The town where I live had a large Italian coal mininig community, and many of the old families are still here, though not minng coal any more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: