Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 02:39 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Getting everything on your list is going to be a trick, but if you are willing to sacrifice "modern" and want to be in (or virtually in--see below) the City, I would also suggest looking at the area in and immediately around Regent Square (ask me if you want more details on the other nearby neighborhoods not quite in Regent Square itself). There are some local places to take dogs, including Frick Park and an informal dog run made out of an old softball field in Whitney Park, and a decent number of younger people around. You'd be able to hop on I-376 already past the Squirrel Hill tunnel, and you should be able to find a 1-2 bedroom in your range (assuming one is available, that is).
Modern will be the trick. There isn't much modern within the city limits---even in the East End modern will cost a lot more money.

Quote:
By the way, in your position it might be worth your while to look in the parts of this area actually outside the City (so technically in Wilkinsburg, Edgewood, or Swissvale), because you would be paying a lower wage tax that way.
I mentioned Edgewood---forgetting that it was technically not within the city limits.

I do not recommend Wilkinsburg, but then again, he'd definitely have a city experience there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 02:39 PM

567 posts, read 1,161,437 times
Quote:
Bellevue is a suburb. It would be an insane place for him to live. He needs to stay to the East of Pittsburgh.
It would indeed be insane in his case, but despite the fact that Bellevue is not within city limits, I personally would still qualify it as "urban" = "city living". Heck, it's probably more "urban" than some parts of the city proper.

Old 10-13-2009, 02:42 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,007,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
McKeesport is a suburb?
In the broader sense of the term, yes, but you might also call it something like a "satellite city" to be more precise.

Old 10-13-2009, 02:43 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,539,142 times
Cambo,

Here is what I would do in your situation. Get a 2 br apt in Mt. Pleasant with a 1 year lease. If it takes your GF a little longer to find a job she can join you later in Mt. P.

As to Mt.Pleasant, I'm willing to bet there are some people there under the age of 60. And do you really need to be living in an area where everyone is 21-25 yrs old. Does that place exist? What happened to diversity???

When I was single I mainly lived in middle class areas where I was definitely the youngest on the street. Who cared? I was never there. Out and about.

I would give Mt. P at least a one year shot, it's pretty country.

Old 10-13-2009, 02:44 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,539,142 times
Quote:
In the broader sense of the term, yes, but you might also call it something like a "satellite city" to be more precise.

McKeesport is urban, as is Pgh, Clairton, and Duquesne. Hardly suburban.

Old 10-13-2009, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Modern will be the trick. There isn't much modern within the city limits---even in the East End modern will cost a lot more money.
Yep--there are a few modern places in the East End, but they tend to be very expensive.

Quote:
I do not recommend Wilkinsburg, but then again, he'd definitely have a city experience there!
Parts of Wilkinsburg are in Regent Square (or, vice-versa, parts of Regent Square are in Wilkinsburg), and I wouldn't hesistate to recommend that area (particularly considering that we actually do live in the Wilkinsburg part of Regent Square). And there are parts of Wilkinsburg straight north or east of Regent Square I also wouldn't have a problem living in.

Old 10-13-2009, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctoocheck View Post
It would indeed be insane in his case, but despite the fact that Bellevue is not within city limits, I personally would still qualify it as "urban" = "city living". Heck, it's probably more "urban" than some parts of the city proper.
Some of the inner suburbs are indeed just as urban as some of the City neighborhoods. Indeed, you couldn't tell the difference as you crossed over in my neighborhood (it can in fact happen mid-block).

Old 10-13-2009, 02:51 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times
Quote:
Parts of Wilkinsburg are in Regent Square (or, vice-versa, parts of Regent Square are in Wilkinsburg), and I wouldn't hesistate to recommend that area (particularly considering that we actually do live in the Wilkinsburg part of Regent Square). And there are parts of Wilkinsburg straight north or east of Regent Square I also wouldn't have a problem living in.
I don't know. I just laughed at the idea of sending him into the ghetto. Without being specific about areas of Wilkinsburg, you're doing just that.

Old 10-13-2009, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
McKeesport is urban, as is Pgh, Clairton, and Duquesne. Hardly suburban.
The problem is that "suburban" can mean multiple things. In the broadest sense, it just means any separate, smaller political division near to and with strong economic ties to the central city (e.g., within commuting distance). But more specifically, people tend to have in mind the master-planned, mostly single-use, suburbs that became popular forms of development after WWII.

This can cause a lot of confusion.

Old 10-13-2009, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I don't know. I just laughed at the idea of sending him into the ghetto. Without being specific about areas of Wilkinsburg, you're doing just that.
I would agree it is not a good idea to simply rule in--or rule out--all of a city as diverse as Wilkinsburg. As I noted above, I will be happy to provide guidance on specific areas if the OP ends up being interested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh