Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2008, 10:24 PM

5 posts, read 20,125 times

Advertisements

Considering relocating my family and business to the Spring Hill neighborhood of Pittsburgh. Was there recently, saw lots of stuff boarded up...some great houses though and met lots of nice neighbors. But reality is reality...we are a 30 something family with 2 elementary age children. Is it safe? I mean reasonably? I live in FL, with gangs and BS and am about over it. There is no work here for my husband(a wood flooring contractor)and the schools stink....does anyone have any real info on the area? We are looking for a large 1920s era home that needs a total overhaul. Cheap with potential to make some money down the road selling. Can you recommend any areas? Thanks a million.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2008, 02:16 PM

25 posts, read 101,086 times
Stay away from any neighborhoods in the North Side of Pittsburgh! You may have met some friendly people outside during the daytime, but once the sun goes down, you'll be stuck in a frenzy of gunfire and drug dealings.

Old 06-30-2008, 02:19 PM

For late 1800s/early 1900s houses that need a total renovation - I suggest looking around Lawrencville or Morningside (and some areas of Stanton Heights).

Old 06-30-2008, 02:43 PM

119 posts, read 460,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakeItBrown View Post
Stay away from any neighborhoods in the North Side of Pittsburgh! You may have met some friendly people outside during the daytime, but once the sun goes down, you'll be stuck in a frenzy of gunfire and drug dealings.
I must say your description of the North Side is far from accurate. There's definitely rough spots interspersed throughout the North Side (Charles St. Valley, Cal-Kirkbride...), but to suggest that all 18 North Side neighborhoods are inundated by 'gunfire and drug dealing' is a lie. We're talking about a pretty large land area with a population in excess of 45,000.

Old 06-30-2008, 06:44 PM

Don't get me wrong - there ARE some very nice streets in certain neighborhoods, but the entire area, on average, is very undesired. I used to live in brighton heights. I've bought/remodeled about 15 houses throughout the north side over the past 3 1/2 years, from summer hill to manchester to troy hill etc.

Peace!

Old 05-15-2009, 11:40 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,031,392 times
Default Spring Hill

I don't know why people have said so many negative things about Spring Hill. It makes me wonder if some of these people know what they're talking about. You can't lump the whole north side into one category -- even the worst areas (Manchester, Calbride Place) have good areas if you are an urban pioneer.

Spring Hill, according to police data, is one of the safest communities in the whole city of Pittsburgh. It has the lowest crime rates and the houses are very inexpensive. You will also love the view!

Old 05-16-2009, 06:46 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,148,549 times
I have relatives in Spring Hill and can attest to the lack of crime in the neighborhood. The homes are generally so well kept and it is such a quiet place. Only problem; well maybe for you at least is I don't usully see many kids around the neighborhood.

Old 11-11-2009, 07:02 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Just viewing Spring Hill..it is amazing how low the real estate can be...and looks like tons of steep inclines? Probably not ideal for crime, I don't think?

There was also another thread, HOPES lived in the area, and didn't feel comfortable? True?

Old 11-11-2009, 07:55 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Just viewing Spring Hill..it is amazing how low the real estate can be...and looks like tons of steep inclines? Probably not ideal for crime, I don't think?

There was also another thread, HOPES lived in the area, and didn't feel comfortable? True?
I did feel comfortable. My first husband is the one who wouldn't let me walk by myself. He grew up in Spring Hill. I remember being all excited when I saw a beat cop because that meant he'd let me go for a walk by myself. I hurried to get my dog and walk with the cop.

The reality is that my husband was more concerned about my being from the suburbs and not having street smarts. I eventually walked all over North Side by myself. We lived in a few different North Side apartments while we were married. In addition to Spring Hill, we lived next to Franco Harris' house, Manchester, and that cute street that's a block from CCAC.

I wouldn't recommend Spring Hill for a family with children who dream of children going out and playing in the neighborhood streets. That lifestyle is for those who prefer the suburbs. Spring Hill is for families that have a parent who stays home and goes out into the yard with the children or takes them to the park. It's not a riding bike in the street without adult supervision type neighborhood. For anyone without children or who likes gritty urban living, Spring Hill might work.

I haven't been there in almost 15 years. I have no idea how boarded up it is these days. I can't imagine that it declined much. It had already declined when I lived up there. There were drug dealers at the bottom of the hill near Spring Garden. To be honest, I never see them standing there anymore.

I do drive through the Spring Garden area fairly often as a short cut, and I'm surprised that it's not as seedy as it used to be. Mind you, it still looks seedy as far as buildings go, but there aren't as many people on the streets and hanging out on corners like the 80s. That could be an indication of good or bad changes in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh