Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 04:09 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,766,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
You know, I don't care for that artist's style either, but I guess you didn't read the article? Sculpture of Fred Rogers unveiled on North Side The same artist did a statue of Einstein in DC, and that was one Rogers liked so much that he made a point of visiting it every time he went to DC. He has another one in Pittsburgh, the one of Caliguiri on the steps of the City-County Building. So it does seem to be a fitting tribute, to commission the artist who did one of Mister Rogers' favorite statues, regardless of what we think of that particular artist's sculpting style. The whole remodel of the old bridge pier there seems really cool.
Ok, if Fred Rogers liked it, that seems pretty cool. Too bad most people will think just what we did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2009, 04:23 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times
I won't be able to explain very well what I like about the Einstein statue.

The like the contrast of casualness and size.

It's playful but still conveys intellectual intensity.

People can sit with him yet never be his equal on some level.

I can see why Rogers liked it.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/c/c0/Einstein_Memorial_front_crowd.jpg/800px- (broken link)

Old 11-07-2009, 04:37 PM

4,275 posts, read 7,633,536 times
Looks like it was made of chocolate rice crispy treats

Old 11-07-2009, 05:33 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,714,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
You know, I don't care for that artist's style either, but I guess you didn't read the article? Sculpture of Fred Rogers unveiled on North Side The same artist did a statue of Einstein in DC, and that was one Rogers liked so much that he made a point of visiting it every time he went to DC. He has another one in Pittsburgh, the one of Caliguiri on the steps of the City-County Building. So it does seem to be a fitting tribute, to commission the artist who did one of Mister Rogers' favorite statues, regardless of what we think of that particular artist's sculpting style. The whole remodel of the old bridge pier there seems really cool.
That's a good point. I also haven't seen it in person, although I drive past that spot every day. I've watched the progress over the past year.

Old 11-07-2009, 09:07 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,210,300 times
The EINSTEIN one does look pretty cool!

The Mr. Rogers one doesn't create the same effect whatsoever....

Old 11-07-2009, 10:03 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
The EINSTEIN one does look pretty cool!

The Mr. Rogers one doesn't create the same effect whatsoever....
Agreed!

Old 11-07-2009, 10:20 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,210,300 times
Examining the two photos of the statues...

Einstein has a great background...he's brown with the large green trees behind him. The whole effect is great, but wondering if the placement also has a lot to do with it. He's in a park and looking casual, etc.

Rogers, on the other hand, looks like more concrete around him from the picture, he looks rather upright and rigid.

The Einstein would invite me to sit for awhile and just reflect. The Rogers one seems like something you'd accidently come upon and think 'yeah, rogers, pittsburgh, okay', and quickly move on.

Old 11-07-2009, 10:24 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,766,994 times
Yea, amazing how the right composition can elevate art from a pile of feces to something really arresting. I will agree that the Einstein statue is precisely as you say, an invitation to ponder or just relax, whereas poor Mr. Rogers....

Last edited by Fiddlehead; 11-07-2009 at 10:39 PM..

Old 11-07-2009, 10:36 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,714,134 times
The way all those (I'm assuming) political tools are standing around clapping reminds me of The Emperor's New Clothes. I'm sure Mrs. Rogers is there somewhere. I wonder what she's thinking. Oh wait, she approved it, right?

If I had been there, I would have been the one who yelled out "But the statue, it's made of poop!"

Old 11-08-2009, 12:50 AM

1,104 posts, read 2,592,453 times
I think it would have a more powerful meaning if the Mr Rogers statue was posing in the same manner as the Einstein one on the concrete steps except that he would be tying his shoes or something to that effect. Regardless of what other people think of it, I think Rogers himself would've loved it, it's not so much the way it looks as the effort put into it that he would've appreciated it for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh