Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 12:32 PM

875 posts, read 1,489,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Sweet. As we have discussed before, this is practically a no-brainer investment and a crucial part of the TDP, but those investments might get delayed due to financing issues. If stimulus money can solve that problem and speed along the necessary capital investments, then great.

By the way, if the Spine Line ever does get built, then a lot of this investment would still be useful in terms of rapid feeder services into such a line. And meanwhile it would undoubtedly help orient development in places likely to benefit from a Spine Line.

Edit: By the way, when did "Rapid Bus" become "Better Bus"? I like the alliteration, but otherwise I think the "rapid" part is key to marketing this service.
Yep, this certainly is the very definition of what the stimulus money was designed to do: expedite and jump-start initiatives and projects that were to some extent already in place. I'm a pretty liberal-minded moderate and even I'm fairly confident the stimulus has gone against this vision in some cases with pork projects. There may not be any "Bridge to Nowhere" type projects funded, but I would be willing to bet some are right along the same lines just in a smaller scale.

I'm trying to be an optimist here about the spine line. I've grown up in the Pittsburgh area for over 20 years. Hell, my dream job would be one of the engineers in charge of designing such a project or one similar in this city. I just don't see the political will at this time for such a project. However, I greatly think Pittsburgh could benefit from a radial-route light rail network (think of how all our highways and existing rail lines are laid out). However, as much as I'd like to see something like that aimed for as a long-range plan, I think a poster here on some other thread said it best in that "trying to get suburbanites behind public transportation is a waste of time if you compare it to the needs/desires of those in the eastern neighborhoods".

Like I said earlier, if PAT implements this in an ideal fashion that they're proposing: off-bus fare, schedules, more bus-only lanes and signal priorities, then I think this will turn out great. Their rider base will increase from the better service available and (hopefully) most of the eastern neighborhoods will see a marked economic growth. I am also in agreement with you in that "rapid bus" sounds inherently more appealing to the average potential rider than "better bus".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 12:41 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
I think the only hope for the Spine Line in the near term is if the federal funding process for capital-intensive public transit in urban areas is completely transformed. Which is asking a lot, but I also think Oberstar's proposed transportation bill, which in turn might get included in a "jobs bill", might actually do that. So I have my fingers crossed.

But in the meantime, I am completely behind Rapid Bus and hope this project gets funded (and it does seem right along the lines of what is supposed to be funded).

Old 11-24-2009, 03:12 PM

4,275 posts, read 7,627,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronClark View Post
These are additional changes that go above and beyond the proposed overhaul. And also, where would you like them to get the money to do the new project instead of federal stimulus money? Local taxpayers?

No.
I think I was misunderstanding. I thought the stimulus money would come from taxpayers (at least eventually.) I was never good in economics..

Old 11-24-2009, 03:53 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,890,414 times
One thing that PAT needs to hurry up and focus on is the Tap-n-Go fare payments.....

I would love to see the Authority become as E-Fare Payment as possible, the days of digging for cash and standing in line to by Monthlies should be over.

Here's how I would lay out the E-Fare System

- Place Smart Card Buy/Refill machines in All Giant Eagles and Rite Aids/CVS's
- Allow for Online refilling of Cards
- Unlimited Rides can be bought in 1-7-14-and 30 days and those days would be added to the cards Vaild time.
- Provide cash bounses to people paying cash fare, someone filling up with 20$ would actually get 25$ in stored value, 2 additional ride for free.
- One Free Transfer for Cash paying riders
- Get Rid of Zones - Allegheny County is one Fare
- Create an App for iphones, blackberrys, androids and webos devices to allow for Refilling on the Go!
- Allow for on-line registarinf of Cards, so that replacements can be given out Quickly and easily.
- Charge and additional .50 cents for people who insist on paying in Cash, slowing the boarding process

Also think about it Authority wouldn't have to print, Passes, Tickets or Transfer, everything would be a paperless seemless process, and the agency could claim to be one of the Greenest in the country.

I think if the authority was this proactive in upgrading its Fare standard, it would attract even more people to become transit orintented.

Old 11-24-2009, 04:12 PM

323 posts, read 834,868 times
$80 million for buses that nobody rides. Only in Pittsburgh.

Old 11-24-2009, 04:21 PM

567 posts, read 1,161,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
- Provide cash bounses to people paying cash fare, someone filling up with 20$ would actually get 25$ in stored value, 2 additional ride for free.
- One Free Transfer for Cash paying riders
You mean card-paying, no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethany12 View Post
People DO ride buses here, you know. In fact, Pgh has a relatively well-used bus system.

Old 11-24-2009, 04:32 PM

323 posts, read 834,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctoocheck View Post
People DO ride buses here, you know. In fact, Pgh has a relatively well-used bus system.
Very few people ride the buses. The few that do - look at the names of the places the buses go. "Wilkinsburg, Braddock, McKeesport, Homestead, East Liberty, Highland Park, Point Breeze, Homewood". Our tax dollars, once again, are going to fund the ghetto.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:24 PM

4,275 posts, read 7,627,786 times
Quote:
Very few people ride the buses. The few that do - look at the names of the places the buses go. "Wilkinsburg, Braddock, McKeesport, Homestead, East Liberty, Highland Park, Point Breeze, Homewood". Our tax dollars, once again, are going to fund the ghetto.
As a bus rider, I can assure you that many more people ride the bus than you think. Have you ever rode the bus? It does not just serve the ghetto or people from the ghetto. That is ignorant.

Old 11-24-2009, 07:20 PM

1,776 posts, read 2,696,843 times
Quote:
Try riding any major corridor city bus and see if you're the only person on it. I've been on so many buses that have had to turn away people during rush hour because it's jammed to the max already.

Old 11-24-2009, 07:20 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
As a bus rider, I can assure you that many more people ride the bus than you think. Have you ever rode the bus? It does not just serve the ghetto or people from the ghetto. That is ignorant.
You tell her, raubre! A quarter of a million people ride port authorty busses every day. They're not all living in the ghetto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh