Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 09:17 PM

157 posts, read 828,649 times

Advertisements

Sorry for another newbie question. But, our car was just totaled (yes, everyone is fine, just a little shaken. I was hit by a driver running a red light) and so we have to replace it. We LOVED our car, and if we were staying in LA we wouldn't think twice about getting the same one. It was a Mazda 5, and it was great. We are wondering, though, if there are any problems any of you might be aware of with driving a Mazda 5 in snow. Thanks so much for indulging yet another question
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2007, 10:50 PM

Hi Hopes,

Thanks --again I was planning on staying home whenever possible in the snow. As you said, the kids will have the day off school anyway. But I will be working part time, so it is possible that I will have to go out and I don't want to have a car I can't drive LOL! I will keep your advice in mind, and would certainly like your advice on going down hills too. It's all such an adventure!

Old 05-17-2007, 10:50 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
It's a front wheel drive so you'll be fine once you learn how to drive in the snow. If you know how to drive in the snow, you can pretty much drive anything. I can.

Here's a simple primer: http://www.edmunds.com/ownership/how...3/article.html

But one thing it doesn't mention is that when you're going up a hill and your car starts to spin tire, DO NOT STOP. You'll be stuck on the hill if you do. You have to keep applying pressure on the gas petal---just lighten up a little bit---and be persistent.

My biggest problem driving in the snow is the people who don't know how to drive in the snow. They get stuck on hills because they chicken out when the car tires start spinning. There's no reason to be afraid going up hill. (It's down hill you need to worry about---but even that can be a fun challenge! )

It's important to try to gain speed prior to going up a hill----then don't give up until you get to the top. Keep steady pressure on the gas petal.

Make sure you have distance between you and the car in front of you so you can move around them without slowing down if they let up on the gas. Otherwise, you'll end up stuck in the hill behind them. And it's not very fun backing down a hill in the ice or turning around on a hill in ice. (Well, you won't think it's fun----I actually enjoy the challenge! LOL) But the only way to get back up that hill is to start over.

Even if the car starts to slide, keep steady pressure on the gas and be persistent. If the road is icy and traffic has eliminated the snow for traction, move off to the side a bit to get into the snowy part to get some traction. Yep, snow actually gives you traction. I've been known to go off the road to get some traction when the situation warrented it.

Honestly, if you're too afraid to drive in the snow, it really would be best if you just stayed home. We don't have that many dangerous road days per year. Your kids will have off school anyway.

If you're interested, I'll give you my tips on how to go downhill tomorrow.

Old 05-17-2007, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morefromcali View Post
Hi Hopes,

Thanks --again I was planning on staying home whenever possible in the snow. As you said, the kids will have the day off school anyway. But I will be working part time, so it is possible that I will have to go out and I don't want to have a car I can't drive LOL! I will keep your advice in mind, and would certainly like your advice on going down hills too. It's all such an adventure!
Oops! I edited my message. That's why it's showing up after your message.

It is an adventure. You'll do just great with that positive attitude!

Get the car you like. You'll do better driving it in the snow because you're comfortable with it.

Tomorrow night I'll post my downhill tips!

Old 05-17-2007, 11:00 PM

Thanks for the great advice

Old 05-19-2007, 03:52 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,775,944 times
With the right preparation you will do fine. I moved up here last fall after living in Florida all my life, so obviously, I had NEVER driven in snow before. On top of that, I drive a rear-wheel drive Mustang, just about the worst car for winter conditions. I heard all the horror stories about how I would never even be able to get out of my driveway, I'd slide into a tree...blah, blah.

So in November I put some high-quality snow tires on the rear axle, added four 50lb bags of rock salt to my trunk to weigh down the back end, and hoped for the best. I had ZERO problems all winter. I even drove to work those 2 days most of the city was shut down during the winter storm. As long as you manuever GENTLY and evenly, and know your car, driving in snow is no problem. Going up the steep hills in my neighboorhood, the wheels would spin a bit when the salt truck hadn't been through for awhile, but for the most part the city does a very good job at clearing the roads. And as was mentioned above, I am very familar with driving my car so I knew how to handle it when the back end wanted to slide around and the wheels would spin going up a hill. But if you panic easily in situations like that, and tend to slam on the brakes when you get nervous, then you WILL have a hard time in these conditions.

Have fun!

Old 05-19-2007, 05:44 PM

Mugatu, your post reminded me that there was a time---in my lifetime---when there were no front wheel drive vehicles. I did just fine driving through Pittsburgh storms back then. I'm glad you agree that MorefromCali will do just fine in the car she feels most comfortable. Every time I buy a new car, it seems to always be in December. So I know what it's like to drive an unfamiliar car on bad roads. It does cause a person to feel more insecure.

Old 05-19-2007, 05:44 PM

Thanks for sharing your story Mugatu. I've lived in Los Angeles for all of my life, so I have never driven in snow either You and Hopes make a lot of sense that getting another car that I am really familiar and comfortable with will make a world of difference in my being able to stay calm and smoothly react to the weather. Thank you both!

Old 05-19-2007, 06:34 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by morefromcali View Post
Thanks for sharing your story Mugatu. I've lived in Los Angeles for all of my life, so I have never driven in snow either You and Hopes make a lot of sense that getting another car that I am really familiar and comfortable with will make a world of difference in my being able to stay calm and smoothly react to the weather. Thank you both!
The biggest thing about driving in snow is a reminder we get out here in California about driving in the rain -- DO NOT DRIVE DISTRACTED. No cell phone, no eating, no reading the newspaper, no putting on your mascara (I once saw this on a country road, with twists and turns and the crazy wing nut was going about 60!!!)

Keep your eyes on the road, slow down, leave more room between you and other vehicles and stay alert...

Old 05-20-2007, 06:04 AM

6,341 posts, read 11,087,268 times
Default Tires

Are extremely important. Visit www.tirerack.com and take a look at the reviews for tires that will fit your new car. This should help you to choose the right tire for the winter driving conditions you will encounter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh