Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 06:00 PM

19 posts, read 47,527 times

Advertisements

I am just curious - are there neat crafty things to do around Pittsburgh? I'm not talking about visiting museums, but more like art festivals, craft get togethers, any kind of scene that likes to be creative? I know it's a strange question, but it's important...

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 06:21 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,648,632 times
Wouldn't say at all fartsy, but the indie craft fair Handmade Arcade is this Saturday:

Handmade Arcade

This is just one event. There's the big and quite a bit less indie Three Rivers Arts Festival every June. It was shorter this year but still a major event.

I'm sure there are any number of craft get togethers, etc. That's a little vague, not sure if you mean just vending or more like actual crafting with a group, but either way I'm sure you can find things.

If you are in the area I highly recommend you check out Handmade Arcade this weekend. Many of the vendors are local and you can talk to them for more ideas, plus there will be info on other related goings-on in the city.

Old 12-08-2009, 07:41 PM

19 posts, read 47,527 times
Thanks! That Handmade Arcade looks awesome, but alas, I'm stuck in Florida until I move up there.

Really I'm looking for either; get togethers for crafting or events like the ones you suggested. I'm not looking for hipster hangouts but just a creative juice in the city, if that makes sense.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:55 PM

226 posts, read 588,381 times
You might check out the Center for Contemporary Craft in the Strip. It's kind of a hub for crafters in Pittsburgh so (as memory serves) you'll find lots of bulletin board/flyer stuff showing you where the whole gamut of craft events are: http://www.contemporarycraft.org

The Pittsburgh Glass Center is a slightly more "serious-about-crafts" place, but they too have great exhibitions and are kind of a clearinghouse for arts and crafts in the area: Pittsburgh Glass Center

Old 12-08-2009, 11:19 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,247,288 times
I'd check at the various places where you'd buy supplies for what you craft. I quilt so I'd check quilt fabric shops. But if you scrapbook, check at those places. (I'm also not in Pittsburgh, so I can't be much help that way)

I know out here all my quilt places have classes and also have "stitchnbitch" nights. There's a small fee but you can get together and meet other people and work on projects. It's good for when you're doing a big quilt and you need a big space to baste.

Good luck!

Old 12-08-2009, 11:25 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,648,632 times
I've always found the Society for Contemporary Craft to be more of a gallery for "serious" artists as well, but perhaps I'm wrong.

I don't really know that much; I just happen to know Handmade Arcade because I've been there a couple times. I see various things around here and there that suggest what I would think was creative juice in the city; I don't think it's lacking in this department.

Old 12-09-2009, 06:53 AM

1,519 posts, read 2,674,264 times
Is there a particular kind of craft you're interested in? I'm a knitter and there are knitting groups and classes at each of the yarn stores around town, there's an annual knitting festival (link below), there are yahoo groups and meetup groups, etc. I'm sure that there are a lot of similiar things for folks involved in other crafts. I've met fiber artists of various types (weavers, tatters, spinners, etc.) at knit and crochet events as well. As Tallysmom said above, supply stores for the craft you're interested in would be a wealth of information about the local scene for that craft.

6th Annual Pittsburgh Knit & Crochet Festival - February 13th & 14th, 2010

Old 12-09-2009, 07:39 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,367,163 times
For craft shows, there's also the I Made It Market: I MADE IT! MARKET : HOME

Old 12-09-2009, 07:57 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,009,142 times
My wife does scrapbooking and there are a bunch of people who get together to do that (including at weekend-long retreats where they will get together at a local hotel away from annoying husbands and such). I have gotten the impression there is something similar going on with pretty much all the major crafts.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:06 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,367,163 times
And I think if you go to some of the local crafty shows and talk to the artists/vendors, they'll give you the lowdown on the local craft scene. One of my coworkers is involved with organizing Handmade Arcade, and she's got tons of crafty friends. There are websites, Facebook pages, Etsy pages that can give you more info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh