Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 09:04 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,817,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
My brother moved to Portland after it was already starting to take off in terms of property values, but before it REALLY took off (and if you believe the current valuations, he has done quite well on the Craftsman home he bought). Certainly what he has witnessed supports the idea that relatively reasonable housing has been bringing in people who might otherwise be interested in other West Coast destinations.

Edit: Oh, and it is literally my pleasure as far as posting here is concerned. I find this stuff endlessly fascinating.
Merry Christmas BrianTH!

First comment. I DO NOT trust West Coast valuations. Yes, Portland is cheaper than Seattle, LA, or especially SF, but those areas have become obscene. It is confusing because I hope to sell my tiny house next year, but I do not trust the valuations. Confusing. I will agree that Oregon as a whole was quite affordable in the 1990s, but that has changed completely in the last decade. There is no sugarcoating the fact the paying $350k for a home that should cost $200 based on wages and other fundamentals is both hard on one's personal finances and on the prospect of future appreciation.

I will commend you on the general quality of your posts and constructive input to this forum, matched only by Hopes. Excellent and very appreciated! Warm Christmas wishes and a heartfelt thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2009, 09:07 PM

808 posts, read 2,418,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
although I think for many people there is a much bigger mental divide between Pittsburgh and the Northeast Coast cities as opposed to Portland and the other West Coast cities (even though Pittsburgh is a lot closer in terms of distance to the NYC-DC corridor than Portland is to, say, San Francisco).
The could change when/if we get high speed rail between pittsburgh and philly.

Old 12-25-2009, 09:35 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,130,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gameguy56 View Post
The could change when/if we get high speed rail between pittsburgh and philly.
That is certainly possible, although that would only be the latest of many improved transportation connections between Pittsburgh and the Northeast Coast, and none of the prior ones managed to overcome the general sense of people on the East Coast that Pittsburgh was located Somewhere Else.

But even if it didn't change that sense, a quality HSR link would probably encourage more Northeast Coast people to consider Pittsburgh as a desirable place to live anyway.

Old 12-25-2009, 09:36 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,754,728 times
So what brings you to be studying Pittsburgh and the Eastern Panhandle of WV? And where in the Eastern Panhandle? Makes a difference. At the moment I'm in Shepherdstown, visiting. It's a much different place than it was 20 years ago when I left, I can tell you that. It is very appealing to me, and I still visit because my mother lives here. But the cost of living is significantly higher at this point, I would think, vs Pittsburgh.

Both areas have their appeal and I wouldn't dissuade you from either. I think, coming from Portland, I would dissuade you from certain parts of both areas, though, unless you are looking for big changes from Portland. Mainly, I am curious what has brought you apparently to narrow choices down to these two spots, which happen to be the two places in which I've spent nearly all of my life and which don't particularly have much in common, IMO.

Old 12-25-2009, 10:07 PM

Hi Greg42,

Not sure if you were addressing the OP or me. For myself, I am interested in areas with mountains close at hand and interesting nature to explore and study. I also like relatively mild four season climates, with a degree of snow. The history and architecture of the region is appealing, as is the affordable cost of living. I am exploring relatively affordable, appealing places to spend the next 10-15 years with my family, preparing for my son's college and our retirement. The areas I have lived (N. Cal., Colorado, W. Oregon) are simply not very good on the economic side of things, though they are good on other points.

Old 12-26-2009, 06:51 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,754,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Hi Greg42,

Not sure if you were addressing the OP or me. For myself, I am interested in areas with mountains close at hand and interesting nature to explore and study. I also like relatively mild four season climates, with a degree of snow. The history and architecture of the region is appealing, as is the affordable cost of living. I am exploring relatively affordable, appealing places to spend the next 10-15 years with my family, preparing for my son's college and our retirement. The areas I have lived (N. Cal., Colorado, W. Oregon) are simply not very good on the economic side of things, though they are good on other points.
I meant the OP, but are you also considering the Eastern Panhandle of WV? If so then I guess it could also be addressing you.

Old 12-26-2009, 11:17 PM

16,260 posts, read 43,391,047 times
Eastern Panhandle of WV is interesting...I hadn't heard that term...and now I'm thinking that an Oregonian who IS interested in mountains...would that be a region that would appeal to that type of person?

Or is that region a completely different kind of place from an Oregonian perspective on mountain or mountain towns.....and are those 'mountain towns' in that region?

Old 12-26-2009, 11:32 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,432,462 times
The Northern and Eastern Panhandles don't really have mountains.

The mountains are more along the eastern side of the state and they are rather impressive for eastern mountains---very condensed and frightening to drive.

Last edited by Hopes; 12-26-2009 at 11:54 PM..

Old 12-27-2009, 12:04 AM

No mountains! Hold the phones!

West Virginia without mountains would be like a hangover without the whiskey!

Old 12-27-2009, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
I meant the OP, but are you also considering the Eastern Panhandle of WV? If so then I guess it could also be addressing you.
I did see a job in Leetown, but I guess that area has no mountains...no deal..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh