Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 01:58 PM

6 posts, read 9,044 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm originally from Ohio but have lived in Massachusetts for 20 years - I got laid off and want to get out of New England where being polite is considered a character flaw that illustrates weakness (the popular Boston talk show host, Howie Carr, has said this many times, so I'm not exaggerating). Where I grew up, saying "please" and "thank you" were commonplace and expected, so I'd like to get back to an area where common manners are considered common sense. My hometown in Ohio wasn't an outwardly friendly place (like some cities I've been down south are), but at least most people were polite and respectful - and I really miss that the older I get, so I'm wondering what the climate is like in Monroeville.

I'm also wondering what the religious tolerance is like since I'm an atheist and my wife is a Sufi... would that freak out the neighbors? It definitely would where I grew up in Ohio, so I'm a bit worried about it.

Thanks for any insight,
Dan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 02:55 PM

440 posts, read 549,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandan View Post
Hi,

I'm originally from Ohio but have lived in Massachusetts for 20 years - I got laid off and want to get out of New England where being polite is considered a character flaw that illustrates weakness (the popular Boston talk show host, Howie Carr, has said this many times, so I'm not exaggerating). Where I grew up, saying "please" and "thank you" were commonplace and expected, so I'd like to get back to an area where common manners are considered common sense. My hometown in Ohio wasn't an outwardly friendly place (like some cities I've been down south are), but at least most people were polite and respectful - and I really miss that the older I get, so I'm wondering what the climate is like in Monroeville.

I'm also wondering what the religious tolerance is like since I'm an atheist and my wife is a Sufi... would that freak out the neighbors? It definitely would where I grew up in Ohio, so I'm a bit worried about it.

Thanks for any insight,
Dan
I believe in general Western PA is what you are looking for. While not every person you meet will be outgoing or friendly typically everyone will at least say hello.. hold doors . etc. Monroville has a lot of business to offer, mostly chain type restaurants or bussiness. Some local indepent stuff that is very good.

The religion is a hard one to answer. Do not take offense to this but Atheism does not have a great ring to it and I had to look up what Sufism was... soo its a flip of the coin .. I personaly woudl care less , I also do not thing this is something you will promoting to new aquantances?? I would not worry about it..

This is a vauge description I can provide some more details if need be... But Western PA really does like new people moving in !!! So come test it out

Old 09-27-2011, 03:00 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,713,011 times
Any specific reasons to zero in on Monroeville? It's an old suburb that has definitely seen better days, and there are much better choices, even on the East side of Pittsburgh.
That's an interesting mix of beliefs you and your wife have.

Old 09-27-2011, 04:48 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,752,558 times
Monroeville is OK. It's Pittsburgh's most diverse suburb. The areas closest to Penn Hills and Turtle Creek are looking a bit dated, but otherwise, there are some nice houses east of the Pennsylvania Turnpike, and near Mosside Boulevard, Haymaker Road and Boyce Park west of the Turnpike.

Old 09-27-2011, 04:52 PM

Thanks for the replies.

No offense taken, I know atheism is not a popular (non)belief system - I used to frown upon it my own self.

I brought up religion because I was down in Charlotte, North Carolina looking at houses and the folks I talked to stressed that joining a Christian church was almost a necessity there - and that's not something I plan to do (FWIW, I was devoutly Christian until 9/11 and then my faith just disappeared). My atheism is definitely not something I plan to broadcast, but I'm not going to lie about it either, which is why I brought it up, as I don't want to live in an area where I'd be shunned because of it. Where I live now, very few people care much about religion and atheists and Sufis are not uncommon, but many of my old friends in OH live their lives around their church so I wondered if it's the same in PA. Where I grew up, you were expected to be a Christian or something was "weird" about you, and I'm no longer comfortable living in an area with this attitude. I know it's a complicated issue - my experience in NC has gotten me uptight about it, so I figured it was worth asking. I guess I'm hoping to hear "no one cares about your religious beliefs" as opposed to "you should definitely join a church as soon as you move to town."

I was looking at Monroeville due to some job listings that I qualify for, I liked some of the homes I saw on realtor.com, and because it's not too far from my closest relatives in OH, so I could visit them more frequently.

Old 09-27-2011, 04:56 PM

29,747 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Where are the jobs going to be? FWIW, Ohio is to the west of Pittsburgh, and Monroeville is to the East, so it's about the furthest from Ohio you can get, suburbwise.

Old 09-27-2011, 04:59 PM

Much closer to OH than MA

The jobs are in Monroeville - I don't know the specific addresses offhand.

Old 09-27-2011, 05:00 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,704,473 times
Quote:
I'd like to get back to an area where common manners are considered common sense.
Manners and common sense do not equal SW PA. I'm not exaggerating

Old 09-27-2011, 05:33 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,574,213 times
Quote:
I'm also wondering what the religious tolerance is like since I'm an atheist and my wife is a Sufi... would that freak out the neighbors?
Absolutely! The instant you begin your bizarre occult bonfire human sacrifice cannibalism rituals, your neighbors will be on the phone to the Holy Office.

Old 09-27-2011, 06:15 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,037,720 times
Monroeville is pleasant, somewhat dated, post-war suburbia. Shopping malls, strip malls, big box stores, chain restaurants, etc. The towns around Monroeville (Wilmerding, Turtle Creek, etc.) range from historic to distressed (Pitcairn). Monroeville itself has mostly post-war housing that is in nice shape. It's not Pittsburgh's most prestigious suburb, but it's good for what it is.

I do have to say that Monroeville is a very friendly place. I took my car in for service at a Monroeville dealership today and several strangers initiated warm and friendly conversations with me. It's a good place. Pittsburghers in general can be a bit detached, but there are a lot of good people here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh