Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 02:24 PM

1,895 posts, read 3,416,894 times

Advertisements

give me a freegin' headache...

did they just give up at some point?? on ramps and off ramps are very inconvienient to say the least...I mean, double-u tee efff??

I saw a sign the other day, "future 376 corridor"...it's place right around the cambells run road exit off 60...what's this all about??

also, in the same area, all these new buildings going up, but little to no road expansion!! campbell run road is two lanes, no left hand turn lanes untill you get to the great eagle area...i'm about to get back in that mess in about 38 minutes, and it's going to take me 20 freegin' minutes to drive a mile and a half, from Penn Center West to 22/30 west...not looking forward to it.

sorry bout the venting...carry on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 03:00 PM

354 posts, read 475,786 times
The "future" 376 corridor is no longer "future". It was a matter of PennDot getting the road up to interstate standards so they could officially make it an interstate. Technically the 376 now goes all the way up to the 80 in Shannon, although the signs might take a while to get updated. The names are quite confusing around here, and listening to a traffic report is useless unless you've been here a while (gripe: everyday I hear about how the Parkway East is jammed from Bates St to the Squirrel Hill tunnel, although there is no sign for either "Parkway East" or "Bates St" (I have figured this one out though)).

Old 01-07-2010, 03:06 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,966,964 times
The parkway in the Robinson area was built in the early 50s as a direct route from downtown to the airport. In those days, there was no development beyond Carnegie. It has been widened and upgraded since then in some places. But even if they widened the roads, they would still be jammed because you need a car to get from one office clump to another, or to get around anywhere out there.

Old 01-07-2010, 03:53 PM

9,348 posts, read 13,010,796 times
The worst has to be where Murray Avenue meets Beechwood Boulevard in Squirrel Hill. Coming back from Homestead, you actually have to get back on 376 for a short stretch before returning to Murray.

Old 01-07-2010, 04:05 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
The worst has to be where Murray Avenue meets Beechwood Boulevard in Squirrel Hill. Coming back from Homestead, you actually have to get back on 376 for a short stretch before returning to Murray.
I take Beechwood Boulevard to Montore Street to Shady Avenue to get into Squirrel Hill when coming from Homestead .

Old 01-07-2010, 04:10 PM

323 posts, read 835,415 times
Ahhhh....the Squirrel Hill Tunnel. Such fond memories! (Including the one of sitting in a car for an hour and a half.)

Old 01-07-2010, 04:48 PM

125 posts, read 282,241 times
From what I have seen I have to say Pittsburgh probably has one of the worst highway infrastructures in the nation. Not as bad as Philly though.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:21 PM

1,895 posts, read 3,416,894 times
okay...i'm glad i'm not the only one, i mean, yeah i just moved up from texas, where flatlands make civil engineering a tad bit easier, but i've also lived in Charleston, WV...they seem to have grasp on most road traveling...ahh, i digress...i'll take another beer.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:57 PM

419 posts, read 448,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerjitsu View Post
okay...i'm glad i'm not the only one, i mean, yeah i just moved up from texas, where flatlands make civil engineering a tad bit easier, but i've also lived in Charleston, WV...they seem to have grasp on most road traveling...ahh, i digress...i'll take another beer.
Pittsburgh is much older, on hilly topography, and has some of the oldest infrastructure in the nation. When building the first highways and the first wave of suburbs Pittsburgh was once the larger metros of the country. It will never have the convience of Texas super highways. Will it keep us back from every booming like a huge Texas city? Yes of course.

More importantly, will I ever mind if I don't have 5 cozy lanes to drive on everywhere I go? No. If I can walk in a old neighborhood, but have to deal with a crappy Pittsburgh ramp everytime I go to work, then so be it. What neighborhood will have to be blown out next for a new interstate?

Old 01-07-2010, 07:00 PM

419 posts, read 448,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethany12 View Post
Ahhhh....the Squirrel Hill Tunnel. Such fond memories! (Including the one of sitting in a car for an hour and a half.)
Yeah, whats up with that. I mean, every other larger metro I go to I never have to deal with traffic jams. I mean come on.............Like jeez people!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh