Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 07:29 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,037,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
If the property has a tenant currently, that's another point of negativity as you have to concern yourself with making sure they leave. If an eviction is needed, that can be a bit burdensome in Pittsburgh.
Yeah, I agree. The other point I don't think SCR is prepared for is the fact this house has the main bathroom in the basement. Also, I think with these types of houses, they don't usually qualify for mortgages and you pretty much have to pay cash.

I just disagree with the notion that you have to get a mortgage to find a decent house. I also disagree that the North Side has more amenities or better transit than Esplen, which is walkable to so much and is right on a major bus line.

I think SCR wants to be part of fixing up a depressed neighborhood rather than just living in a gentrified one, in which case this would be perfect. A little love would go a long way in a tiny little neighborhood like Esplen.

Last edited by PreservationPioneer; 03-01-2013 at 07:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2013, 06:06 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,089,604 times
You've been talking about buying a house for years, and delivering food for years (giving you a chance to really scope out the neighborhoods at all times of day and night). You probably know the neighborhoods as well as anyone on this forum, and you've had ample time to know what you want in a neighborhood. By now I would also think you know what you want in a house. And since you worked for a bank, I'll bet you've had ample conversations with financial pros to know what you want as far as financing goes.

So you know enough to make up your own mind. Why ask us to talk you into or out of something? We're just strangers on the internet--you know better than we do when it comes to what you want. Time to stop talking about real estate ads and doing nothing more than talk talk talk. Start walking the walk.

Last edited by Caladium; 03-02-2013 at 06:25 AM.. Reason: Decided to remove a phrase that got asterisked--thought I'd just use the asterisks but they looked dopey

Old 03-03-2013, 10:40 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
Also, I think with these types of houses, they don't usually qualify for mortgages and you pretty much have to pay cash.
You touched on the most important aspect of this for SCR. SCR, do you have any idea what condition this home is in on the inside? I find it very doubtful that it will be up to FHA standards. If it's in at least habitable condition, you could go with a conventional mortgage. The big obstacle with any mortgage might be in finding a lender that doesn't have a minimum home value.

My oft-repeated advice to you remains: get a buyer's agent. If you were already working with a buyer's agent he or she would be able to tell you a lot more about this home with just a few phone calls than a bunch of strangers online can. You're also missing out on any "inside scoop" deals they may hear about before they officially go on the MLS.

But you did ask what we think, and I'll say all in all it has some promise. I mean you *really* need to see the inside of it, but assuming it's up to par for you, this could be just the thing you've been looking for.

Old 03-04-2013, 06:56 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,647,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
My oft-repeated advice to you remains: get a buyer's agent. If you were already working with a buyer's agent he or she would be able to tell you a lot more about this home with just a few phone calls than a bunch of strangers online can. You're also missing out on any "inside scoop" deals they may hear about before they officially go on the MLS.

But you did ask what we think, and I'll say all in all it has some promise. I mean you *really* need to see the inside of it, but assuming it's up to par for you, this could be just the thing you've been looking for.
What he said.

Old 09-25-2014, 07:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,497 times
Hi.. this is a nice thread. Id hate to ruin it with some facts... The neighborhood blite in this area is high., Will update with dozens of pictures tomorrow if this system will allow it.

From the street Tabor and down to Eslpen Street. Which is a pothole rut from one end to the other..
Sagamore St should long been paved to rid it of the cobble stone rumble .. truck and current traffic is high with the West Carson St closure. Dust level is high. LANE industries couldnt care to spray it down with water.

Nuisance car wash on the corner of West Carson /Stanhope is nothing but a nuisance. .. when you live in a 50 thousand dollar home and cant sell it for 50cents..... you better take a good look whats going on around here.

110 Sagamore over grown with weeds..
209 Sagamore overgown with weeds
216 Sagamore overgrown with weeds
Pruett-Schaffer 3327 Stafford Street riddled with weeds and trash..
WjBeitler and Co riddled with trash around property.. funny they can hire the police to guard but cant hire a person with a nailstick to clean around the place..

maybe this neighborhood looked good in the day.
but its hard to believe anyone is left around here to care.. Im totally burned out from tending to property that isnt mine..couldnt tell u how many machines its killed already. nobody paying for that but me..
those that helped run and ruin the neighborhood 20yrs ago sold it out being ignorant.. wound up with crackheads living nextdoor like lol tire george thief ..got what they deserved..

those jealous of my grandmothers corner property. its all good now.. I dont want it anymore. you can have it. Ive no interest in paying the taxes, anymore than those on Frustum St. See the sheriff taking everyones land here @ the corner of purgatory and hades. Build super highways over the chartiers creek been waiting years for that buy out .. Really..

Old 09-27-2014, 06:36 AM

1,901 posts, read 4,380,495 times
Esplen/Statium Street area of Sheraden, Mt. Oliver/East Overbrook/Carrick/Arlington, Spring Hill/Spring Garden/Troy Hill/East Deutschtown, Woods Run area, Polish Hill, Scotch Bottom Gleenwood & Hays are some of the city's grittiest white areas. I remember in 2013 or 2012 Esplen was in the top 5 for violent crime (with Homewood South, East Liberty, Southside Flats)... Back in 2001 Esplen was one of the few neighborhoods that had with white group-related violence- the Pagans were involved somehow, but I don't believe that they still have turf in the neighborhood./?

Old 09-27-2014, 07:11 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,261,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown kid View Post
... Back in 2001 Esplen was one of the few neighborhoods that had with white group-related violence- the Pagans were involved somehow, but I don't believe that they still have turf in the neighborhood./?

The Pagan community was hanging out at one of the bars over there, which has subsequently closed.

Old 10-29-2014, 04:17 PM

3 posts, read 3,553 times
Alas I think Esplen is nearing its end. My father passed away in June, lived on Radcliffe St. His neighbors what is left of the old neighbors are still there. City has completely forgotten bout this place. Crime is horrible, Murder 4 doors down from my fathers home a couple of weeks ago.

I have a fear that development is indeed on its way. The new park along the river, the Carson Street Project. But I think the old time residents will be left behind with the "we will buy you house for cash" folks now showing up in the area.

With no one left to visit, June was probably the last time I will see Esplen.

Robert

Old 10-31-2014, 04:02 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,056,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by millergrobert View Post
Alas I think Esplen is nearing its end. My father passed away in June, lived on Radcliffe St. His neighbors what is left of the old neighbors are still there. City has completely forgotten bout this place. Crime is horrible, Murder 4 doors down from my fathers home a couple of weeks ago.

I have a fear that development is indeed on its way. The new park along the river, the Carson Street Project. But I think the old time residents will be left behind with the "we will buy you house for cash" folks now showing up in the area.

With no one left to visit, June was probably the last time I will see Esplen.

Robert

It's sad, but its good for the City overall - giving other people a chance to put down roots and create memories for themselves. I would love to live in that location, if ingress/egress were improved, of course.
Condolences for your father's passing.

Old 11-01-2014, 04:46 AM

32,619 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
It's sad, but its good for the City overall - giving other people a chance to put down roots and create memories for themselves. I would love to live in that location, if ingress/egress were improved, of course.
Condolences for your father's passing.
I concur. I'm very sorry to hear of your father's recent passing, but with that being said someone like me---a morally-upstanding 20-something rapidly being priced out of the housing market in the East End---would love to try to bring some fresh blood into a place like Esplen. Perhaps some of you living there are browbeaten after years (or decades) of picking up trash everywhere; tending to overgrown lots everywhere; dodging potholes everywhere; etc., but that opens the door for a new wave of younger people to take over and try to reinvigorate the neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh