Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 11:41 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,663,296 times

Advertisements

Well, if you want to go closer to the family in Erie there is a Wegmans up there. But no, not here. Sad. I stop at that Wilkes-Barre one on almost every trip up north (a few times a year). I didn't know there was one in State College.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2011, 01:26 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,224,689 times
Yeah, State College Wegmans has been around for awhile now. It has to be at least 10+ years as I have been away from Altoona for six years and it was open way before that.

Old 11-11-2011, 02:43 PM

1,072 posts, read 1,946,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svalsechi View Post
I'm so disappointed to hear there is no Wegmans! That seems so crazy to me. We had one in State College and in hazleton went to the one in wilkes-Barre. I was really hoping moving back to PA that there would be one there. After Wegmans, everything else is second rate. We live in FL now, and Publix isn't at all impressive. Standard, that's it.
It's very hard for any new grocery chains to set up shop in Pittsburgh because of GE's dominance. That's just a fact. the only new one's that come in are really considered "specialty" grocers like Trader Joes, Whole Foods, etc. We have a new Maginnis Sisters in Seven Fields. It's a beautiful store but way more expensive than GE. The value they bring is in hard to find food items & meats that GE doesn't carry.

Old 11-11-2011, 02:59 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,263,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoButCounty View Post
It's very hard for any new grocery chains to set up shop in Pittsburgh because of GE's dominance. That's just a fact. the only new one's that come in are really considered "specialty" grocers like Trader Joes, Whole Foods, etc. We have a new Maginnis Sisters in Seven Fields. It's a beautiful store but way more expensive than GE. The value they bring is in hard to find food items & meats that GE doesn't carry.

Walmart and Target are both expanding their presence in the Pittsburgh region, and providing some competition for Giant Eagle for the food dollar.

And Shop n Save's new store on the hill is a beachhead right in a community that Giant Eagle has a particularly big share of the market.

Old 11-11-2011, 04:41 PM

28 posts, read 51,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Well, if you want to go closer to the family in Erie there is a Wegmans up there. But no, not here. Sad. I stop at that Wilkes-Barre one on almost every trip up north (a few times a year). I didn't know there was one in State College.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I think not. Pittsburgh is as close as he is getting me to his ex thank you very much. LOL.

I love whole foods and trader joes. Those plus the ethnic grocers will make up for the wegmans for me.

Old 11-11-2011, 05:10 PM

1,072 posts, read 1,946,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Walmart and Target are both expanding their presence in the Pittsburgh region, and providing some competition for Giant Eagle for the food dollar.

And Shop n Save's new store on the hill is a beachhead right in a community that Giant Eagle has a particularly big share of the market.
Walmart isn't growing like they were a few years back and has cut back considerably on their expansion. In both cases (Walmart & Target), they need to be their "Supercenters" selling both general merchandise & groceries.

Their impact on GE is minuscule compared to the number Supercenters that Walmart & Target have in the area. Seriously, you can't drive 3-4 miles in some areas without passing a GE.

Shop & Save is competitive in a few areas but again, not on any kind of scale that makes a difference in GE's market share.

Old 11-12-2011, 01:32 AM

6 posts, read 15,566 times
How spoiled have we become that not finding a specialty imported item is grounds for hating a place? Thats why prices are high, because we have become so spoiled that we are not satisfied unless we find 100,000 items to chose from (not exaggerating) when we go shopping. What are we going to do when the bottom drops out of the world economy?

Old 11-14-2011, 06:55 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,721,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Now in Oklahoma View Post
How spoiled have we become that not finding a specialty imported item is grounds for hating a place?
I didn't see anyone complaining about specialty import items but rather how difficult it was to find anything that wasn't processed to Hell and back. When the world economy falls apart perhaps shopping for veggies that aren't genetically modified, covered in pesticides, and grown in Mexico won't be some "elitist" thing eh?

Old 11-14-2011, 07:54 AM

1,714 posts, read 2,359,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Now in Oklahoma View Post
How spoiled have we become that not finding a specialty imported item is grounds for hating a place? Thats why prices are high, because we have become so spoiled that we are not satisfied unless we find 100,000 items to chose from (not exaggerating) when we go shopping. What are we going to do when the bottom drops out of the world economy?
I think it has more to do with how everything costs about 20% more than it does in areas where people have more choices.

Old 11-14-2011, 11:50 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,791,444 times
Granted I'm not in there very often, but whenever I've had to go into a Giant Eagle they seem bigger/better selection/cheaper than the Giant and Weis we have in the Harrisburg area. (There is also a Wegmans in the Hbg metro but not conveniently located to me at all).

The Market District in Robinson seems to be aimed at the Wegmans-loving clientele, with an aisle of Polish food and all. Last month I was both there and the GE on north side of Butler, a bit of a difference in atmosphere and selection for sure but I got the job done both places for less than I would have in Hbg.

Weirdly I got a coupon for the Robinson Market District store in the mail after shopping there, I thought my shoppers card was so old that they wouldn't even have my current Harrisburg-area address.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh