Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 10:33 AM

809 posts, read 2,409,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
If CMU lists it as a place to get a bachelors prior to moving into the CMU masters program, that means that the Pittsburgh Art Institute program is probably respected, right?
The art institute is well respected, but again, it's the Art Institute. So the focus there will be on graphics, 3D modeling, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 10:36 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,648,632 times
Art Institute is tricky. This is run by the for-profit EDMC, which is actually all based in Pittsburgh. Not sure if it's respected really. I would tend to think more along the lines of what gameguy said about video game degree. There are certain things that may lend themselves to a more career-oriented school/degree (as opposed to more traditional college degree), but it doesn't seem clear that this is one of them.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:41 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
Outside of Pittsburgh might be a better bet, somewhere where he'd have a chance of landing an internship with a real video game company.
I like that idea also because I want him to live away from home. Don't get me wrong. I love my son. I just think it's an important step to independence.

Quote:
If he isn't interested in the technological aspects (programming/hardware) then it is going to be a much harder thing to get into (and an internship would be a huge foot in the door). With programming and hardware design you can get in by being the best at what you do while working at other jobs, and you'll always have those jobs as a fall back.
That was one of my concerns. I figured a programming degree would have more versatility---something to fall back on. Then again, it's common to end up in a "fall back" career with that safety net. Tough call.

I can't say he's not interested in the technolgical aspects. He thinks it's cool. He's done some programming on his own. He said in his very first attempt at programming, it only took him 30 minutes to figure out how to make a gun have smoke out of it after a shot. What frustrated him was how he had to go back through the entire code to find the error when it didn't work.

BUT I contend that he'd be less likely to make errors if he had a formal education. AND I think he would become talented in problem solving with experience.

That has been proven as he has continued teaching himself. He gets better and better.

He think's it's interesting. He loves doing it. I think the main problem is the fear of the unknown.

As for actual graphics, he has been modeling on Second Life and another program. I think he simply feels more comfortable with that because it's straight forward.

He isn't GETTING that his self teaching in computer programming is a huge indication that he does have the aptitude and personality for it.

Basically, he has been teaching himself stuff over the past few years. (That's why I've been constantly having to upgrade our home computers to powerful monsters nobody in their right mind buys for their homes! LOL)

Quote:
With the story boarding, level design, etc. aspects there are a lot fewer jobs that give the background needed, so an internship would be very important I think. Even if he is the best level design, it will be difficult to prove so without a job/internship history showing it.
Good tip!

Old 02-18-2010, 10:46 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,362,964 times
Quote:
I like that idea also because I want him to live away from home. Don't get me wrong. I love my son. I just think it's an important step to independence.
He should look into the DAAP program at University of Cincinnati (it's only 4 hours away!) I know several people who've gone through it --they all liked it and are currently gainfully employed.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameguy56 View Post
I'd seriously look into it. I work at a software company and we do indeed hire Art Institute grads to do graphics work. It's respected enough that if he does well he'll certainly be employable in the field.
Well, that's good to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Yeah it seems to me there are two major aspects to game design which are somewhat different from each other. One is programming, the make it work part. The other is graphic design, modeling, etc. I don't know which side is more responsible for designing the game play/story/whatever you want to call it. Maybe this is where those history and biology folks come in. But you can throw that in there too. Programming is where the game play is ultimately laid out though. If there is any inkling one way or the other where his interest lies, that can help you make the call. If it's really in the graphical design, then this is more of an art path.
He has some fantastic ideas. (I hear about this stuff 24/7.) Initially, he wanted to be the concept person. Over the past few years, he has talked to me in depth about trying to figure out how to have that career. My recommendation was business a major at a university that had a quality tech program so he could team up with talent but be the driving force behind finding investors, etc. Afterall, someone needs to have the business knowledge for a successful start up.

Now that he's getting older and ready to chose a major, he is becoming more interested in the skills aspect and the understanding that he needs to START somewhere.

He has a very creative mind and is strong in history and math. This child has always known more about history than his teachers in high school and his instructors at CCAC. His mathematical abilities have been his major strenth from an early age.

Quote:
Computer science would be the degree path for the programming. Go back far enough in game design and these guys are going to be self-taught, I would think. If you manage to design a game or are involved with designing a game, then you've pretty well proven that. I don't think that works anymore with big companies like EA, but there are still places where one could design a game themselves and get noticed or even just keep designing on their own. (iPhone/iPod touch comes to mind, and soon, the larger iPad, because of how the App Store works. Anyone can be a developer, and every single game or other application is sold via the single source.)
I wish there was duel degree.

Quote:
Is he so into it that he's programming and/or otherwise trying to design stuff NOW?
YES! That's why I actively support where he's trying to go. This is a passion. He spends every waking minute doing this stuff. We could all be so lucky to do something we love for our careers.

Quote:
Those are the ones who really get it, I think. If his interest is coming just from playing, and that's the answer he gives if you prod him about future plans, I'm not sure how well it will stick. If he's already laying out ideas for games in his spare time and trying to figure out how to translate those to a working game, then maybe you've got something.
It evolved throughout the years. His interest was initially from playing. Then he started becoming frustrated with many things happening in the gaming industry. He sees the direction not meeting the intersts of many users. He sees how games could be improved. He sees how large companies buy up great small companies and then destroy what made the small companies great. He's so INTO this. He knows the politics, the history, the everything. He envisions game ideas and tries to figure out how to make those ideas a reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameguy56 View Post
The art institute is well respected, but again, it's the Art Institute. So the focus there will be on graphics, 3D modeling, etc.
Understood. He just really needs to decide which direction will get him closer to whatever his ultimate goals are. There's also the option of doing one and then going back to school for another. I personally think a computer programming degree would be better for networking with other like-minded students. The Art Institute will limit his contact to artists, not tech students. I can't believe something so focused could be so confusing. It's amazing that someone can KNOW the career they want but there isn't a program for that specific career.

Quote:
Art Institute is tricky. This is run by the for-profit EDMC, which is actually all based in Pittsburgh. Not sure if it's respected really. I would tend to think more along the lines of what gameguy said about video game degree. There are certain things that may lend themselves to a more career-oriented school/degree (as opposed to more traditional college degree), but it doesn't seem clear that this is one of them.
It does seem that this particular Art Insitute program is respected by CMU. Hmmmmmm......

Old 02-18-2010, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
He should look into the DAAP program at University of Cincinnati (it's only 4 hours away!) I know several people who've gone through it --they all liked it and are currently gainfully employed.
Thanks for the recommendation! It's really important to know if a school is respected and if graduates are working!

I love the idea of a school that's four hours away. My son's friend's mother is pushing his friend to go to a school in Florida.

While I think that it's important for my son to live away from home, I'm not sure the other side of the country would be a good match.

I remember when I moved away from home, I needed to come home every weekend at first, then monthly and eventually I rarely came home except for holidays.

Based on my experience, I think a school that's a few hours away is ideal.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:17 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,201,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I can't say he's not interested in the technolgical aspects. He thinks it's cool. He's done some programming on his own. He said in his very first attempt at programming, it only took him 30 minutes to figure out how to make a gun have smoke out of it after a shot. What frustrated him was how he had to go back through the entire code to find the error when it didn't work.

BUT I contend that he'd be less likely to make errors if he had a formal education. AND I think he would become talented in problem solving with experience.

One warning about this - I am currently a Computer Programmer (although not in the video game industry) and having to spend hours debugging minor errors in programming code is a fact of life. A programmer might spend just as much time searching through thousands of lines of code to realize a single quote should be a double quote (for example) as he did writing those thousand lines in the first place. It does take a degree of patience.

I don't know much about the video game industry, but if you want advice on IT, Computer Science, or programming in general I would love to help.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:26 AM

1,895 posts, read 3,415,005 times
Hey Hopes!

this is a hot career now a days...and big schools are taking note!

what a cool field to be in! just keep doing your research, and make sure he's involved!

Old 02-18-2010, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Yeah it seems to me there are two major aspects to game design which are somewhat different from each other. One is programming, the make it work part. The other is graphic design, modeling, etc. I don't know which side is more responsible for designing the game play/story/whatever you want to call it. Maybe this is where those history and biology folks come in. But you can throw that in there too. Programming is where the game play is ultimately laid out though. If there is any inkling one way or the other where his interest lies, that can help you make the call. If it's really in the graphical design, then this is more of an art path.
I just asked him about this.

It is his understanding that the programmers and the graphisc environment people work as a team with more experienced people as leaders of the concept.

It's less the programmers telling the graphics people what graphics to make. It's more the graphics people telling the programmers what they need it to do.

That said, he knows that programmers are kept on a project longer. They need to stay around to fix glitches, etc., long after the graphics people are done with the project.

He thinks both jobs are equally important in game design and having knowledge in both areas would be ideal. There just doesn't seem to be a degree that blends both together.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
One warning about this - I am currently a Computer Programmer (although not in the video game industry) and having to spend hours debugging minor errors in programming code is a fact of life. A programmer might spend just as much time searching through thousands of lines of code to realize a single quote should be a double quote (for example) as he did writing those thousand lines in the first place. It does take a degree of patience.

I don't know much about the video game industry, but if you want advice on IT, Computer Science, or programming in general I would love to help.
Thanks, hnsq! We might take you and others in this thread up on that!

He really wants knowledge in both areas. He thinks that would be important in eventually having a team leader position.

He thinks he should understand the terminology, capabilities and possibilities so he can communicate effectively with the other side--regarless of which side he's on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerjitsu View Post
Hey Hopes!

this is a hot career now a days...and big schools are taking note!

what a cool field to be in! just keep doing your research, and make sure he's involved!
I agree. I think my son could have a future in this---at some level or another. I don't see the video game industry is going collapse anytime soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh