Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 11:39 AM

315 posts, read 665,295 times

Advertisements

lawrenceville is still pretty yinzer though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2010, 12:20 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,703,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
How can you tell a person is a yinzer if you don't talk to them? A yinzer speaks Pittsburghese. You can't tell that from merely looking at people!

Younger yinzers generally wear those ridiculous looking DG baseball caps along with males wearing both ears pierced with diamond stud earrings and multiple tatoos. Yinzer girls generally show overabundant cleavage and wear shorts year round. Yinzer adults can be typically found riding around in pickup trucks with dual exhausts.

Old 03-31-2010, 12:55 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,053,366 times
NORTH Braddock..OMG, my co-worker lives over there by the golf course, and she is a TRUE yinzer...she still says n'at, warsh, gum band, dahn-tahn and all that....I've been invited to a few things over her house...her neighbors talk like that too and its funny to me when they talk like DOWNTOWN is far by saying "I gotta go to Pittsburgh for a court date tomorrow"...add certain parts of East Pittsburgh, certain parts of North Versailles, certain parts of Turtle Creek and certain parts of Homestead & Munhall, to this YINZER NEIGHBORHOOD thing too.

Old 03-31-2010, 01:19 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times
Who cares which neighborhood is has them. All cities around the country have their own population similar to yinzers I'm sure. These threads are annoying because people in Pittsburgh act like there aren't similar groups of people like yinzers in other major cities. Of course I like the term uneducated fools better than yinzers

Old 03-31-2010, 01:24 PM

4,359 posts, read 7,530,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajl777 View Post
lawrenceville is still pretty yinzer though

So true. If you drive down Butler Street during the summer it is a given that you will see quite a few yinzers walking down the street without a shirt on.

Old 03-31-2010, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
So true. If you drive down Butler Street during the summer it is a given that you will see quite a few yinzers walking down the street without a shirt on.
I hate seeing those people do that in the summer

Old 03-31-2010, 01:33 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
Younger yinzers generally wear those ridiculous looking DG baseball caps along with males wearing both ears pierced with diamond stud earrings and multiple tatoos. Yinzer girls generally show overabundant cleavage and wear shorts year round. Yinzer adults can be typically found riding around in pickup trucks with dual exhausts.
Hey, I drive a pickup truck with dual exhaust, yet my dialect is neutral.

Anyway, it's worth mentioning that while all Yinzers speak "Pittsburghese," not everybody who speaks Pittsburghese is a Yinzer. That's like assuming that everybody with a Southern accent is a country redneck, which absolutely isn't true.

Old 03-31-2010, 01:36 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,231,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Mizz Pittsburgh View Post
NORTH Braddock..OMG, my co-worker lives over there by the golf course, and she is a TRUE yinzer...she still says n'at, warsh, gum band, dahn-tahn and all that....I've been invited to a few things over her house...her neighbors talk like that too and its funny to me when they talk like DOWNTOWN is far by saying "I gotta go to Pittsburgh for a court date tomorrow"...add certain parts of East Pittsburgh, certain parts of North Versailles, certain parts of Turtle Creek and certain parts of Homestead & Munhall, to this YINZER NEIGHBORHOOD thing too.
This is also prevalent in the Allegheny Valley in places like Springdale, Cheswick, Tarentum and New Kensington. When I lived up that way for a few years, I would hear "They went to Pittsburgh last night." Instead of what you may hear in Sharpsburg. "They went to South Side last night"
I would hear things like that frequently. I found that odd because growing up in O'Hara Twp, the Allegheny Valley was just an extension of that area further up 28. It is not like it is Somerset County. It seems that many people up that way associate that area as being seperate from Pittsburgh. I don't see it that way. Just a thought.

Old 03-31-2010, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuwaver88 View Post
This is also prevalent in the Allegheny Valley in places like Springdale, Cheswick, Tarentum and New Kensington. When I lived up that way for a few years, I would hear "They went to Pittsburgh last night." Instead of what you may hear in Sharpsburg. "They went to South Side last night"
I would hear things like that frequently. I found that odd because growing up in O'Hara Twp, the Allegheny Valley was just an extension of that area further up 28. It is not like it is Somerset County. It seems that many people up that way associate that area as being seperate from Pittsburgh. I don't see it that way. Just a thought.
I work up that way and ugh people from up there are so much more ignorant and insular than people I deal with from any other part of Pittsburgh.

Old 03-31-2010, 01:54 PM

29,746 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
"They went to South Side last night"
This reminds me that that's another Pittsburghese thing I've recently noticed. People don't go "down to the South Side," they go "Dahn Sahside" or "Dahn my sister's" The "to the" is missing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh