Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 06:46 AM

809 posts, read 2,410,353 times

Advertisements

Is this going to connect to swissheim park?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2010, 09:27 AM

875 posts, read 1,490,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gameguy56 View Post
Is this going to connect to swissheim park?
I know the plans call for building a second entrance to the plan at either Old Browns Hill Road or directly onto Browns Hill. There aren't any plans to connect it to Swisshelm Park that I know of, but I do know that that whole lower Nine Mile Run area from Forward Ave to the river is in the process of being redeveloped. So you could see something like better trail access between the two, and maybe even to Duck Hollow, but I wouldn't anticipate a road being built directly between the plan and Swisshelm.

Now that I brought that I up I think a better question might be why hasn't Swisshelm and Duck Hollow been connected via road? Might the terrain between them be too difficult?

Old 04-10-2010, 12:51 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,204,562 times
The construction of that new connection has been going on since last summer. I don't know exactly how it lays out, but Parkview Blvd. (the main throughway of Summerset), meets Browns Hill Rd. and Old Browns Hill Rd. about 100 feet closer to the Homestead bridge than the current intersection. I believe the new intersection will be Parkview and Browns Hill, with Old Browns Hill intersecting Parkview nearby. Turning lanes are also being added on Browns Hill Rd.

The prelimininary plan had called for a bridge to cross Nine Mile Run, connecting the phases of Summerset that lie on either side, but I believe that's been scrapped. The final phase (on the Swisshelm Park side), should have access from Commercial Street, but I don't think that the streets of Summerset will tie into the existing streets of Swisshelm Park.

Quote:
Now that I brought that I up I think a better question might be why hasn't Swisshelm and Duck Hollow been connected via road? Might the terrain between them be too difficult?
Yeah, there's about 180 feet difference in elevation between the two, and really, I'd bet the residents of Duck Hollow like the isolation and would say "no thanks"......

Old 04-10-2010, 06:19 PM

On the note of Duck Hollow, how come the bike/hike trail along the river to the river there doesn't continue on to like Rankin much in the same way between the train tracks and the river? Hell, they could actually complete the GAP (Great Allegheny Passage) without involving the much maligned Kennywood/Sandcastle properties that way. McKeesport is on that side of the river anyway. This would require adapting something like the Glenwood Bridge too of course in order to complete, but the standstill with the Sandcastle/Kennywood people is really starting to worry me.

The north shore route would also pass by the Carrie Furnace, a major historical landmark. I'm just tired of hearing the no-progress about the trail.

Old 04-11-2010, 08:31 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times
Here is the Master Plan (which may be outdated, apparently):

You can see how it was planned to be next to Swisshelm Park without really integrating with it.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:43 PM

Brian, wouldn't a plan like that go against the traditional "suburban" neighborhood plan by allowing pass-through traffic? I mean, I know Summerset has been billed as "new urbanism", but I still feel like many residents would innately be opposed to something like that.

I really just hope they complete the trail between the existing Nine Mile Run trail and Duck Hollow.

Old 04-12-2010, 04:22 AM

2,458 posts, read 4,204,562 times
Quote:
Here is the Master Plan (which may be outdated, apparently):
You can also see how it was supposed to connect with Beechwood Blvd, west of Rosemont. That ain't happenin...

Old 04-12-2010, 05:23 AM

809 posts, read 2,410,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
You can also see how it was supposed to connect with Beechwood Blvd, west of Rosemont. That ain't happenin...
I guess at this point, I've come to accept the fact the Summerset is designed for people who really want to live in Cranberry, but delude themselves into thinking that they like 'city' living.

Old 04-12-2010, 06:40 AM

296 posts, read 561,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gameguy56 View Post
I guess at this point, I've come to accept the fact the Summerset is designed for people who really want to live in Cranberry, but delude themselves into thinking that they like 'city' living.
Well, regardless of who they are and what they think, its better for the city to have new residents move in - especially ones that are going to pay taxes.

Curiously, it seems that the homeowners' association there pays for snow removal instead of the city. That would be enough of a perk for some people to not have to worry about when the city would get around to plowing.

Old 04-12-2010, 07:41 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impala26 View Post
Brian, wouldn't a plan like that go against the traditional "suburban" neighborhood plan by allowing pass-through traffic? I mean, I know Summerset has been billed as "new urbanism", but I still feel like many residents would innately be opposed to something like that.
Summerset falls into some nebulous range between "new urbanist" and traditional post-WWII master-planned subdivisions. Part of the issue is just that the site creates certain constraints on what they can do.

Quote:
I really just hope they complete the trail between the existing Nine Mile Run trail and Duck Hollow.
Me too. There is a lot of other trail work going on, but hopefully they get around to doing this in conjunction with moving Summerset forward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh