Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 07:09 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Kinda like PBR now? Seems like similar thing to me. Nothing has changed about PBR the beer, just the image.
PBR's image (and price point) hasn't changed. What's changed is what its image now represents to those who revived it, namely a simultaneous backlash against the conformity of the "big" labels (Bud, Miller) and the bourgeois pretensions of craft-beer mania. It's the "two-buck Chuck" of beers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 07:41 AM

11 posts, read 24,364 times
Quote:
PBR's image (and price point) hasn't changed. What's changed is what its image now represents to those who revived it, namely a simultaneous backlash against the conformity of the "big" labels (Bud, Miller) and the bourgeois pretensions of craft-beer mania. It's the "two-buck Chuck" of beers.
well put

Old 06-04-2010, 07:55 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Frisco Melt? San Franciscans don't even like their city referred to as 'Frisco', let alone naming food after a name they don't like. I've also never heard of a 'Frisco Melt'.

The rest of the thread is interesting. Fries on a sandwhich....I'm fairly indifferent...but it is a slight relief that not the entire city is entirely in love with it either Still, I'm curious to sample it.

Old 06-04-2010, 07:57 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
My dad has actually started drinking PBR because it's apparently the only "American" beer brand still owned by an American company. He also told me that it's actually owned by the Little Sisters of the Poor, so they don't pay taxes on it, but I don't know if that's really true.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:15 AM

457 posts, read 1,280,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
To call Rolling Rock a Pittsburgh beer is a stretch. I don't think anyone outside the region has any idea where Latrobe is, and Rolling Rock isn't really associated with Pittsburgh outside the region except maybe by members of the Pittsburgh diaspora.
You would be surprised what local products/towns are associated with Pittsburgh. Besides a lot of people familiar with Rolling Rock, I have come across those who have heard of Slippery Rock, PA. Nobody outside of the region had ever been there, but they were familiar with it. I remember a trip to a Michigan football game. 100,000+ cheered when it was announced that Slippery Rock was winning their football game.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:17 AM

I don't know anyone outside the SWPA region who associates Rolling Rock with Pittsburgh.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:47 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,660,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
My dad has actually started drinking PBR because it's apparently the only "American" beer brand still owned by an American company. He also told me that it's actually owned by the Little Sisters of the Poor, so they don't pay taxes on it, but I don't know if that's really true.
Tell him the Pabst brand is owned by an outfit based in Chicago, yes, but they contract out ALL brewing to MillerCoors (one of the two giants which are effectively foreign controlled) so he's not really getting the full effect. If he is going to the trouble to support American owned, he should buy something from a smaller brewer that actually brews. Of course, that's probably gonna cost more. No sign of charity ownership for that Pabst company that I found.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:55 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,549,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I don't know anyone outside the SWPA region who associates Rolling Rock with Pittsburgh.

It was always mentioned as being from Latrobe. And since it got bought out by A-B and moved to New Jersey, it's not real popular around here. Some local taverns no longer serve it since so many lost jobs.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:05 AM

Yes, it's always mentioned as being from Latrobe. And that's why nobody outside the region associates it with Pittsburgh, because nobody outside of the region associates Latrobe with Pittsburgh. They don't even know where Latrobe is in relation to Pittsburgh or any other part of Pennsylvania unless they consult a map. The bottom line is, Pittsburgh is not "best known" for beer like somebody claimed upthread.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:57 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,279,688 times
True, nothing remarkable about, it's just a Pittsburgh icon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh