Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 09:19 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times

Advertisements

I like IKEA but not for the latest sub-discussion on higher quality stuff. We got some more shelving in a new (for us) and interesting style from them fairly recently, and we like that very much. It has helped organize things that were otherwise out in the open, with what to us is a pleasing style. (Some of the baskets and other similar pieces we have added to it are actually from Target, though. )

I assume if you buy something like an upholstered sofa you don't have to put that together at least. I don't know how their frames are made; I wouldn't be surprised if they have something at their top end that is a decent solid frame. But for the rest of the items, like bedroom pieces or whatever, you're always assembling it, whether it's the cheapest or the best stuff in the store. Which is fine, if it's something I like and find it a decent value. I've become very good at the assembly over the years. Indeed I'm anticipating a point where we might end up getting kitchen cabinets from IKEA, and I'll assemble those too. But it sure isn't for everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 07:06 AM

65 posts, read 136,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
I like IKEA but not for the latest sub-discussion on higher quality stuff. We got some more shelving in a new (for us) and interesting style from them fairly recently, and we like that very much. It has helped organize things that were otherwise out in the open, with what to us is a pleasing style. (Some of the baskets and other similar pieces we have added to it are actually from Target, though. )

I assume if you buy something like an upholstered sofa you don't have to put that together at least. I don't know how their frames are made; I wouldn't be surprised if they have something at their top end that is a decent solid frame. But for the rest of the items, like bedroom pieces or whatever, you're always assembling it, whether it's the cheapest or the best stuff in the store. Which is fine, if it's something I like and find it a decent value. I've become very good at the assembly over the years. Indeed I'm anticipating a point where we might end up getting kitchen cabinets from IKEA, and I'll assemble those too. But it sure isn't for everyone.
I agree. Just moving to the area (Butler) we had to get rid of a lot of stuff due to the smaller house we had to move into. (Broyhill and Havertys) Thats bedroom, living room. Had too much stuff for the living room and the bedroom stuff couldnt make the turn up the stairs. So we are in the middle of getting rid of all the stuff and had to "downsize" and just bought the "cheaper" ikea stuff to suffice these next 3 years. We looked at all the places mentioned in the prior posts plus a place called Perlora? I think. Stuff was too big our wouldve been a hassle to get in and out at time of next move.

And I HATE assembling things. Im the reason theres pre-assembly on a looooot of things in stores now!

Old 09-08-2010, 07:14 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,719,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayYoungblood2 View Post
We looked at all the places mentioned in the prior posts plus a place called Perlora?
I don't know how Perlora stays in business. I have never known a single person who has bought anything from them thanks to their crazy prices.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:21 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times
Yeah, Perlora was one of the places in mind when I was thinking of the ones in the city that are expensive. I've never actually been in there though, just know of it. Come to think of it, there's a branch of Arhaus on Highland Ave in Shadyside, too (next to Casbah).

I'm disappointed Norka Futon closed, looks like the whole company went out of business earlier this year. The popularity of the namesake product has probably waned somewhat, but they had a variety of pieces along that line (plus matching other furniture like tables, etc) with great US-made wood frames. We weren't planning on buying more, but we're really happy with the pieces we did buy there about 5 years ago.

Old 09-08-2010, 02:34 PM

1,758 posts, read 3,835,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapp View Post
be careful with used stuff, it could contain bedbugs.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/02/ny...02bedbugs.html
True, but engineers, chemists, and licensed pesticide applicators have the technology...

Besides, I mostly buy used case goods, not upholstered pieces, unless it's some fantastic antique that will probably be re-upholstered. And I quarantine it in metal and concrete storage unit for at least a couple of months, anyway. Sweltering hot followed by freezing cold tends to make any bugs want to move. (Yeah, I know, risk of mice. And for that, I have a couple of HUGE house cats that eradicate all mice, flies, wasps, ladybugs, or other vermin that wander into the house.)

Old 09-08-2010, 05:37 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SorryIMovedBack View Post
Besides, I mostly buy used case goods, not upholstered pieces
What does that mean, "case goods"?

Old 09-08-2010, 08:57 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
What does that mean, "case goods"?
Book cases, dressers, nightstands -- and in some places tables. Pretty much anything made of wood.

Old 09-09-2010, 05:52 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Book cases, dressers, nightstands -- and in some places tables. Pretty much anything made of wood.
Thanks. I guess I've always wondered what that meant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh