Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 03:32 PM

62,968 posts, read 29,152,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VGravitas View Post
How so?

Please advise.
It is discriminating against native English speakers in hiring practices that don't speak Spanish so that illegal aliens (who are here in violation of our immigration laws) can be pandered to in Spanish. You really had to ask?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2013, 05:26 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,924,929 times
If most of your customers speak Spanish (or French, or Russian, or German, etc.) then it makes sense to hire people that speak the language.

In an international and inter-connected economy, having workers who only speak English can be pretty dumb. Just look at successful economies like the Netherlands, Sweden or Switzerland. Multi-lingual employees is the norm.

Old 09-07-2013, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
If most of your customers speak Spanish (or French, or Russian, or German, etc.) then it makes sense to hire people that speak the language.

In an international and inter-connected economy, having workers who only speak English can be pretty dumb. Just look at successful economies like the Netherlands, Sweden or Switzerland. Multi-lingual employees is the norm.
That isn't the case most of the time though. Since most Hispanic-Americans are bi-lingual then why would there be a need to communicate with them in Spanish? As was already pointed out it is mosty illegal aliens that don't speak English but Spanish so English speaking Americans should be discriminated in hiring practices to pander to them? I don't think so!

How many American businesses require French, Russian, German, etc. to be hired? Not many. English is the international language of business. Most of the jobs I am referring to are not involved in any international business.

Old 09-07-2013, 08:49 PM

280 posts, read 686,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
That isn't the case most of the time though. Since most Hispanic-Americans are bi-lingual then why would there be a need to communicate with them in Spanish? As was already pointed out it is mosty illegal aliens that don't speak English but Spanish so English speaking Americans should be discriminated in hiring practices to pander to them? I don't think so!

How many American businesses require French, Russian, German, etc. to be hired? Not many. English is the international language of business. Most of the jobs I am referring to are not involved in any international business.

Follow the money.

If a company knows that a bilingual employee will bring in more business, then many will go with that. At the end of the day, it's about the bottom line.

Old 09-07-2013, 08:51 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Job ads that say, "We hire Spanish speakers", are essentially saying, "Anglos, blacks, and Asians need not apply."

Old 09-07-2013, 10:14 PM

280 posts, read 686,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Job ads that say, "We hire Spanish speakers", are essentially saying, "Anglos, blacks, and Asians need not apply."

In hs, I once had a black teacher who spoke fluent Spanish.

Old 09-07-2013, 10:23 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Follow the money.

If a company knows that a bilingual employee will bring in more business, then many will go with that. At the end of the day, it's about the bottom line.
No. The problem is, in the fast growing Spanish speaking regions of this country, they blatantly discriminate against all non-hispanics. They could hire one store clerk to deal with the immigrants who refuse to ever learn as much as a word of English, or one Spanish speaking auto mechanic, or a couple of Spanish speaking waiters/waitresses for the immigrants but instead they will require all employees to speak Spanish with native fluency. You very often see businesses with 100% one ethnicity, not one white or black American employed. That is clearly discrimination.

Old 09-08-2013, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Follow the money.

Right, but my point was is that English speaking Americans are being discriminated against in hiring practices just to pander to illegal aliens for a buck. Sounds like you don't have a problem with that.

Old 09-08-2013, 06:28 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catrick View Post
This was always a sore point with me when I lived in South Florida.

I moved there in 1971 and many of the first people I met were the original Cuban exiles that left Cuba when Castro took over. They held on tightly to their culture, after all they had to leave their homes and emigrate. But many of them learned English.

Many of those that followed though from Cuba and those that came from Central and South America did not bother to learn English. Yeah they could get by if necessary. But no effort to learn.

There was a famous bumper sticker in Dade County, now Miami-Dade County, that read "Will the last American leaving Dade County bring the American Flag". It was that bad.

After Hurricane Andrew, many Hispanics moved to Broward County (the Ft. Lauderdale area). You have no idea how frustrating it is to go to a store and ask for help and get none because most of the employees did not speak English.

You couldn't get a job in S. Florida unless you were bilingual. Spanish was all you heard.

The private school where I worked had many Hispanics. I had co-workers from Columbia, Peru and Cuba. They all knew English and were quite upset with those that didn't bother to learn English. All of them became citizens and felt you could still honor your homeland but you also had to honor your new home and assimilate.

FWIW for 8 years I worked in our school cafeteria. We had a Cuban custodian. The nicest man alive. But he didn't speak English. He had been in this country for 25 years. We know he understood because if we asked him for something, he would do it. He could communicate with some English. After he turned 65 he took the citizenship test. In Spanish. Apparently if you were over 65 you could do this.

I had many Hispanic friends. It just became a problem living there when most of the people didn't speak English.
Funny, that I have lived here 15 years and I am not facing the problems you had. Yes, you can find a job here if you are not bilingular.

Old 09-08-2013, 10:30 AM

15,866 posts, read 21,445,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
It is discriminating against native English speakers in hiring practices that don't speak Spanish so that illegal aliens (who are here in violation of our immigration laws) can be pandered to in Spanish. You really had to ask?
I'm a native English speaker and my family has been in Massachusetts since 1638. I also speak Spanish fluently. It's not discrimination to require another language as a job skill. It took me more than 8 years, including 6 months of only speaking Spanish in Mexico, to get to where I am. I worked hard to qualify for jobs where Spanish was a requirement, and even though my current role did not need a Spanish speaker, my language skills were a huge reason why I was hired over 100+ other applicants who did not speak a 2nd language fluently. I use my Spanish and French frequently. Recently, I was even asked to help draft a letter requesting an Icelandic dignitary to speak at one of our events. The letter was in English, but in our positive response, the person in question got a big kick parts were written in Icelandic. Thank you, Charolastra.

Recently, I applied to a job and it turned out they wanted someone who was fluent in Portuguese. I can read and understand Portuguese, but I can't speak beyond the basics, nor can I write it. I lacked a critical job skill for the position and was not hired. No discrimination there.

Is it discrimination when certain jobs require a programming language?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies