Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 01:03 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times

Advertisements

I don't care if someone's Hindu or Muslim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 01:08 PM

2,014 posts, read 1,529,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zox View Post
I'm East Indian and Hindu. I'm clean shaven and don't speak with an accent. Indians like myself can easily distinguish us from Muslims including Pakastani or Persians (Iranians). However, do you know the difference between a Hindu and a Muslim or do you think we have the same religion and views because we resemble each other. The reason I ask is Hindus particularly in India are some of the most anti-Muslim people you will ever meet. In fact, they were anti-Muslim before it became fashionable to be anti-Muslim. I don't advocate those particular views and feel like it's a form of discrimination but I was just curious if people on this forum know the difference between Hindus and Muslims or are we the same to you. It's okay if you answer yes. I would like to hear your views. Just be honest
Yes indeed I can distinguish between Muslims and Hindus, I can also identify Sikhs. I generally like Hindus and Sikhs and quite a few Muslims but not so many as Hindus and Sikhs.

Old 03-12-2018, 12:59 PM

1 posts, read 246 times
I would be very great full if you could help me to help my daughter she has to find 2 things that help identify the 6 mains religions (clothing/jewellery /tattoo) however I'm finding it hard to find a 2nd thing.
I've got bindi but I'm starting to doubt myself with this being part of the Hindu religion.
I'd be very greatfull for some help.

Old 03-12-2018, 01:12 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,140,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
I am not trying to be offensive at all, but I just don't know how else to phrase this question. Aren't Hindu's the ones with the red dot on the forehead? Or is that just women? Or am I thinking of something else completely different?
That's correct; it's called a bindi. Red is usually to signify being married, while black is often used on young girls to help ward off the evil eye.

Though bindi use varies depending on origin of the family's origin and even caste (though that is more a thing among the very traditional conservative families).

Old 03-12-2018, 01:20 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,397,493 times
Not necessarily. There are Indian Muslims, Christians, Sikhs...not everyone in India is Hindu so...I can guess based on name but not on looks. I also have friends from the Middle East who are Jewish and Christian and Bosnians who are Muslim but look Eastern European. You can’t flawlessly determine religion based on looks and I wouldn’t bother with that anyway.

Old 03-12-2018, 01:26 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times
Quote:
I'm East Indian and Hindu. I'm clean shaven and don't speak with an accent. Indians like myself can easily distinguish us from Muslims including Pakastani or Persians (Iranians). However, do you know the difference between a Hindu and a Muslim or do you think we have the same religion and views because we resemble each other. The reason I ask is Hindus particularly in India are some of the most anti-Muslim people you will ever meet. In fact, they were anti-Muslim before it became fashionable to be anti-Muslim. I don't advocate those particular views and feel like it's a form of discrimination but I was just curious if people on this forum know the difference between Hindus and Muslims or are we the same to you. It's okay if you answer yes. I would like to hear your views. Just be honest
Well, many people on this board, mostly on the Left, think there is no difference between Muslims and Christians. They will say things like, "They both worship the same God," (they don't) or, both are theocratic, and many other ignorant statements. It doesn't surprise me if they see no difference between Hindus and Muslims.

Old 03-12-2018, 01:51 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,175,095 times
Yes, I am well aware of the differences between the religions. I have Hindu and Muslim extended relatives. Depending on how traditional the individual, it’s not always apparent what religion someone professes.

Old 03-12-2018, 02:40 PM

8,168 posts, read 3,127,019 times
Quote:
Throughout my adult life I've been in relationships with a few women who were Hindu (India, Nepal, etc.). And from what I learned, they do not believe it's a justifiable reason to kill someone for not believing the same thing they believe in. They also do not believe that when killing someone for that reason, that they are granted automatic entrance to their version of heaven/afterlife.

Now, I can't say that I know for sure that this is what Muslim's believe simply because I've never been in a relationship with a woman of that religion, but I'm just taking in account what I've been learning about since around 9-11. If what my assumptions are is accurate and correct, then I would have to say that this is one of the differences between the two (Hindu and Muslim).

Here's an interesting question. How is it that so many guys who go to prison always do a Muslim convert. while serving time? Not heard of any of them converting to Buddhism or Hinduism. It's always Muslim. Why is that? I guess I should ask Mike Tyson right?

Last edited by FC76-81; 03-12-2018 at 02:53 PM..

Old 03-12-2018, 03:48 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
This is not an offensive question, ask away! That's what threads like this are for. Yes, Indian women wear the dot on their head. Indian men don't wear it. After certain Hindu ceremonies, both the men and women might have a red powder like mark on their foreheads but that is temporary. Muslim women wear the Hijab which covers their head and in some cases their mouth. Hindu women don't wear that.
As you know:

Not all Muslim men sport beards.
Some sects of Islam, Judaism and Christianity encourage men to grow beards.
Not all married Hindu women sport the bindi.
Not all Muslim women wear a hijab.
Language skills have nothing to do with religion.

( This is an old thread and OP has not posted in almost 8 years.)

Old 03-12-2018, 04:27 PM

39,870 posts, read 26,514,597 times
The one with the severed head in his right hand? That would be the Muslim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies