Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 10:06 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,285,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
With such scientific stalwarts as thenewamerican.com disproving global warming, I suppose we should ignore the other 99 percent of scientists that say otherwise, right?
Do you really believe that 99% number? Who put that out? Al Gore?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 10:18 PM

27,623 posts, read 21,136,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
People need to see who benefits and stands to benefit monetarily from the implementation of "climate change" policy and legislation. It's not just ideology driving this puppy.
People need to see who benefits and who stands to benefit from the non-implementation of climate change policy and legislation...oops...we already have.

The first quarter of 2007

ExxonMobil: $158.5 billion
Shell: $108.5 billion
BP: $89.2 billion
ChevronTexaco: $60.9 billion
ConocoPhillips: $46.9 billion

Public Citizen Climate and Energy

Last edited by sickofnyc; 06-15-2010 at 10:48 PM..

Old 06-15-2010, 11:19 PM

1,530 posts, read 1,533,633 times
Now if you listen to this guy who is in the middle of the climate change lies. Does he sound concerned about global warming and all h#ll is going to break out if we don't do any more then we already are. Because we are doing alot of things in industry to keep pollution down except where the government allows certain industries to pollute more for cash in their pocket.

YouTube - Crime Inc

They just changed inhalers by order of the EPA because they said the ingredient that pressurizes it, was bad for the environment. There are always improvements and changes going on.

Considering how many businesses have folded or cut their output in the last 2 years, I'm sure the gov. thinks it helps the environment.

To know numbers have been fudged and certain people are going to continue to profit from turning our country into a third world country is absolute BS.

Our elected officials who force this on us will be giving up nothing in their lives. But their rich crooked croney friends will be laughing all the way to the bank.

Climate Change Policy Background | Judicial Watch

Old 06-15-2010, 11:47 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,937,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I am all for a cleaner and healthier environment... I just don't like being lied to about it... I love recycling... I love renewable energies... I love minimizing energy usage with more efficient appliances... I love cleaning pollution... I love it all... I HATE being lied to...
I don't know anyone who loves being lied to. Just what, however, are your qualifications for determining that you have been 'lied to'? Are you, in fact, taking the word of 'experts' with agenda's and/or corporate masters to determine your opinions? I wouldn't be surprised.

H

Old 06-15-2010, 11:56 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,920,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flguy1192 View Post
Earth Is Cooling, Sea Levels Not Rising, Scientists Say (http://www.thenewamerican.com/index.php/tech-mainmenu-30/environment/3583-earth-is-cooling-sea-levels-not-rising-scientists-say - broken link)

Expecting "global cooling" from now until 2030 and then more warming from 2030 to 2060 and then more cooling from 2060 and on.

What does Al Gore got to say to this?
it's called global climate CHANGE..
here in boise we're normally well into the 80's and 90's by june in a desert.. we've had nothing but rain, and 60 degree temperatures all month. it's weird and anything but normal

Old 06-16-2010, 12:05 AM

2,104 posts, read 1,443,595 times
Yeah, we're not heating up! Tell it to Glacier National Park. All the ice there will probably be gone by 2030. But hey, I am sure some internet "expert" will come on here and spin that somehow.

Old 06-16-2010, 07:35 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,459,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♠atizar♠ View Post
Yeah, we're not heating up! Tell it to Glacier National Park. All the ice there will probably be gone by 2030. But hey, I am sure some internet "expert" will come on here and spin that somehow.
There used to be glaciers all the way down into Wisconsin, what happened to those? Do you think they melted or some aliens from another planet beamed them up to their planet because they were out of ice? Also, if this is such a big concern, why did Al Gore buy beach front property just recently? Do you think he would spend 9 million on something that is going to be under water in a few years?

Old 06-16-2010, 09:58 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,937,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
There used to be glaciers all the way down into Wisconsin, what happened to those? Do you think they melted or some aliens from another planet beamed them up to their planet because they were out of ice? Also, if this is such a big concern, why did Al Gore buy beach front property just recently? Do you think he would spend 9 million on something that is going to be under water in a few years?
No, I don't. 50 years is not 'a few' years. Thats 50 years in which to flip that property a couple of times and make a pile before the 'beginning' of the end. Then you still have another 50 years after that till species (human) extinction. That's if you still think that Global Warming is the only issue of any consequence that humans face. I don't.

H

Old 06-16-2010, 10:10 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,390,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
What harm would come from treating our earth a little better even if Gore were wrong? Conserving energy? Using less for the future generations?

What harm would come if we did nothing, and Gore was right?
It depends on what you mean by "treating our earth a little better"

if you mean recycling, walking to the grocery store or using those reusable bags instead of plastic.... well no harm at all in that...

If however, you are talking about a Cap and Trade scheme that raises the cost of all energy and will have a multiple-thousand dollar annual impact to every single American, then we are talking about real harm. Tens of billions of dollars will move from hard working people and small businesses to the traders on wall street enriching a few while causing serious harm to the economy. Actual real Americans will have to decide on things like feeding their kids or paying rent. Or worse, keeping their house cool enough to stay live in the summer.

So which is it? Reusable grocery bags or destruction of the economy?

As for Al Gore being right, please define… which Al Gore? The one who says sea level will rise 20 feet or the Al Gore that has purchased beach front property in Cali?

Old 06-16-2010, 04:07 PM

2,104 posts, read 1,443,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
And here it is!

I'm a geology major, bud. You're trying to convince the wrong person.

How many years did it take for the polar ice caps to recede?

Of course nature itself is part of it. No scientist worth his salt denies that. You're taking coals to Newcastle. We are speeding it up though, and I am sorry, you are never going to convince me otherwise.

What's amusing to me is that I am old enough to remember when some people were screaming that Historical Geology was a fraud perpetrated by liberal operatives, who were working in collusion with each other (sound familiar?) within our Universities and colleges. Now, curiously, some people use those same, once disputed theories as a basis to try to refute man's role in climate change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies