Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you agree or disagree with the BP being forced to put $ 20 billion in escrow
Agree ( Democrat) 32 25.40%
Disagree (Democrat) 0 0%
Agree (Republican) 8 6.35%
Disagree (Republican) 16 12.70%
Agree (Independent/ Other) 55 43.65%
Disagree (Independent/ Other) 15 11.90%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 09:37 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,677,849 times

Advertisements

I've read enough here to get the idea that the polarized American political reality is working as planned. Bill Clinton did it, Obama didn't do enough to stop it, we should coddle the corporations or they'll "run away to Brazil", it's all "blackmail", the poor oil companies were "forced" to drill farther out to sea by the evil Bill. This is the result of too much BS getting in the way of everything we do as a nation now. It's all about the party, or it's the other guy's fault because he's in the wrong party. Of course in the revisionist history version the "other" party was just the greatest, nothing wrong was ever done by them, they were sooooo much better at handling the nations troubles etc. etc.

Fact is that corporations are getting away with murder while the low men argue over what they see as the real issues, that's to say the crap they see on TV or hear on bluster radio, they can't learn through reading anymore because they simply don't read. A nation divided doesn't last long, oh there will be responses from those who see this as just the democratic process at work, but really it's the end of civil and informed discourse. Should the people ever go back to thinking for themselves the corporations would be trembling in their collective boots, don't be fooled by their paid for shouters, the truth is, neither party gives a damn about the American people.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 11:25 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,310,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Let me guess, your way of life is not affected by the spill. It would be greatly appreciated by thousands of people whose lives are directly affected by this mess if people like Barton (R) Texas and michelle whatsherface would shut the hell up and sit down in a corner somewhere.
Do you honestly believe what you said?
Do you hate anything Obama does so badly that you are willing to throw your nose up at the suffering of the people of the Gulf are going through?
As far as I'm concerned that law did not take into account of the magnitude of this disaster.

Read what I said before making comments.

I said BP should pay for the mess.

On the other hand now you want to change to LAWS on the books. Seems Obama and his followers are all for changing the rules and laws as you go.

And no I am no fan of BP, again read all of my post before making such silly comments.

Old 06-20-2010, 11:29 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,310,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
But BP is your God, they are pure and innocent of all wrong doing (according to real dopes)....why would it be a bad thing to take money from them???
For you also.

Read what I said before making comments.

I said BP should pay for the mess.

On the other hand now you want to change to LAWS on the books. Seems Obama and his followers are all for changing the rules and laws as you go.

And no I am no fan of BP, again read all of my post before making such silly comments.

Please do me a favor and read my comments in this forum before posting.

I have said numerous times that BP needs to pay for this mess but you cannot run around breaking laws like Obama did just make PRETEND your are kicking ass when you clearly FAILED to do your job from the first day it happened.

Obama is using this spill to create a new image of him being tough when it is his job to LEAD the efforts to get the leak stopped and the spill cleaned up.

Disasters in federal waters is his responsibility period.

Old 06-20-2010, 11:41 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,858,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
I know we have several threads on the subject already, but I think we should have a poll on the subject.

In wake of the comments by Republican reps Bachmann and Barton in which they criticized the Obama administration for basically forcing BP to set up a $20 billion escrow account for the damages of the oil spill (comments in which they, especially Barton were criticized for by members of his own party),

Do you agree or disagree with the Obama administration basically forcing BP to set up the $ 20 billion escrow account.
They were not forced, so I obviously cannot vote. The agreement was for over a 4 year period, fund that account and allow independent distribution and claims process. It was a win/win, BP does not have to take a $20 bil hit all at once, people needing rapid monetary help will get it, the fears that BP will no longer be a solvent Company go away, it is a very good plan. Obviously, we will have to see how well it works in reality. I suspect it will work quite well.

Old 06-20-2010, 11:46 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
I know we have several threads on the subject already, but I think we should have a poll on the subject.

In wake of the comments by Republican reps Bachmann and Barton in which they criticized the Obama administration for basically forcing BP to set up a $20 billion escrow account for the damages of the oil spill (comments in which they, especially Barton were criticized for by members of his own party),

Do you agree or disagree with the Obama administration basically forcing BP to set up the $ 20 billion escrow account.
There is no "forcing" if both parties sit at a table and agree to do this. You would have to prove that some kind of forcing took place if you want to make that claim.

Vote: Independent and agree.

Old 06-20-2010, 11:59 AM

6,125 posts, read 7,475,771 times
I didn't realize the lawsuits have [ALREADY] gone through the court system and there has [ALREADY] been a determination of all the parties that are at fault for the oil spill.

Question - If you were one of many parties that were involved in an accident...and even if you knew you were liable to a large degree - would you put-up (personal) money without the other potentially liable parties doing the same? I seriously doubt you would! What if you had insurance for such damage - would you still put-up personal money? I seriously doubt you would!

The best thing that BP could have done was to agree to put-up an equal amount of money that all other potentially liable parties put-up...and then let the court system determine who ALL is liable.

Also, I'm of the belief that it is not a good idea to testify before Congress, because all they want to do is make political speeches and make whoever is testifying look bad. That was also the case with Toyota...and others.

I thought it was really stupid when the Dem Congressman from Michigan kept asking the CEO specific questions pertaining to engineering decisions, or how much it costs to do some procedure, or how much was saved by doing some procedure, as if the CEO would really know the answers. Of course the CEO doesn't know the answers to such questions - any more so than the Congressman knows how many killowatt hours of electricity was used for his personal Federal office. How stupid...

Old 06-20-2010, 12:04 PM

37,213 posts, read 19,210,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
BP could actually fight this and win. The law states they are only liable for 75 million.

Who took millions from BP during their last campaign? Well it was not Bachman, it was your boy Bubba the hero who was in big oils pockets.
Fine. Then let them go to court and fight criminal charges, and when they lose let their assets be seized by the Federal Government and sold to satisfy the debts.

Obama is results-oriented and getting them. It really galls a lot of people to see him succeed and do it so decisively.

The only problem is that he didn't get $100B+ while he was going about it.

Old 06-20-2010, 12:11 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,342,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
BP could actually fight this and win.
Is that what you want?

Old 06-20-2010, 12:14 PM

6,125 posts, read 7,475,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Fine. Then let them go to court and fight criminal charges, and when they lose let their assets be seized by the Federal Government and sold to satisfy the debts.

Obama is results-oriented and getting them. It really galls a lot of people to see him succeed and do it so decisively.

The only problem is that he didn't get $100B+ while he was going about it.
Why hasn't Obama enacted the rights under the National Emergencies Act of 1974?

Old 06-20-2010, 12:23 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
There is no "forcing" if both parties sit at a table and agree to do this. You would have to prove that some kind of forcing took place if you want to make that claim.

Vote: Independent and agree.
Probably should have worded it a bit differently, and yes BP did agree to it, but they basically knew that they could not say no to this, that was my point, and I strongly agree, btw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies