Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you agree or disagree with the BP being forced to put $ 20 billion in escrow
Agree ( Democrat) 32 25.40%
Disagree (Democrat) 0 0%
Agree (Republican) 8 6.35%
Disagree (Republican) 16 12.70%
Agree (Independent/ Other) 55 43.65%
Disagree (Independent/ Other) 15 11.90%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 07:49 AM

6,125 posts, read 7,472,724 times

Advertisements

BP said it expects its partners in the well to pay their full share of the costs. Anadarko Petroleum (APC) has a 25% stake, but is refusing to pay... BP believed that putting $20B into a fund would be a good PR move and BP would go after other stakeholders to help pay their fair share of the costs. I believe this decision will quickly come back to haunt BP because the Obama administration and Congress have done nothing but bash BP even though they've tried to do the right thing (with the fund) without being forced legally to do so. I think BP will look back on their decision and wish they had waited for the court to rule on where the liability falls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 07:56 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,093,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
The government and Obama hasn't exactly been sitting on their hands. We have organized a lot already.
Most of the items listed, were done by BP, and "volunteers", paid by BP, not the federal government...

Another example of Obama taking credit for someone ELSES actions..

The one though that did stick out to me as clearly a federal responsibility..

The administration has authorized the deployment of 17,500 National Guard troops from Gulf Coast states to respond to this crisis; to date, 1,612 have been activated.

Its been TWO months.. how long does it take to get the 17,500 activated?

Old 06-21-2010, 08:00 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,793,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
BP said it expects its partners in the well to pay their full share of the costs. Anadarko Petroleum (APC) has a 25% stake, but is refusing to pay... BP believed that putting $20B into a fund would be a good PR move and BP would go after other stakeholders to help pay their fair share of the costs. I believe this decision will quickly come back to haunt BP because the Obama administration and Congress have done nothing but bash BP even though they've tried to do the right thing (with the fund) without being forced legally to do so. I think BP will look back on their decision and wish they had waited for the court to rule on where the liability falls.
Time is not on their side at this point. Stocks are bleeding like a sieve. Even if BP does not give a damn about the Gulf, they have to do their best now to appease their stakeholders.

And keep Tony from taking any more yacht trips.

After the criminal investigation is complete, it will become more clear for all involved.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
Time is not on their side at this point. Stocks are bleeding like a sieve. Even if BP does not give a damn about the Gulf, they have to do their best now to appease their stakeholders.

And keep Tony from taking any more yacht trips.

After the criminal investigation is complete, it will become more clear for all involved.
Nothing criminal was done. There was never any INTENT...

If Tony should not have gone on a one-day yacht trip, then Obama should not have played golf numerous times!

I look for APC to file bankruptcy, which if I'm right will be an excellent stock short candidate.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Nothing criminal was done. There was never any INTENT...
Doesn't matter. If (when) it is proven they knowingly skirted proper procedures and this gross negligence directly led to the tragedy, they can and will still be held responsible.

Think of it like manslaughter vs murder.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Does'nt matter. If (when) it is proven they knowingly skirted proper procedures and this gross negligence directly led to the tragedy, they can and will still be held responsible.

Think of it like manslaughter vs murder.
Please don't attempt to teach law!

How 'bout MMS? Talk about gross negligence!!!

Old 06-21-2010, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Please don't attempt to teach law!

How 'bout MMS? Talk about gross negligence!!!
Just trying to help you out.

Go ahead and read the opinions of criminal and environmental lawyers on the subject if you don"t believe me....pretty easy to google it, if you still have trouble let me know.

So you are blaming the agency that is supposed to regulate BP more than you are blaming BP itself, huh? What is this, Junior High??

Hey I am all for more government regulation. This is just another example of why the "Just get the Government the Hell out of the Way and let America Flourish" crowd are completely nuts. If the agency failed, hang them high too.

But if BP was "trying to do the right thing" in the first place, there would be no need for the government to babysit them at all. You follow?

Old 06-21-2010, 08:21 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,093,273 times
Quote:
Go ahead and read the opinions of criminal and environmental lawyers on the subject if you don"t believe me....pretty easy to google it, if you still have trouble let me know.
Anyone posting opinions on the subject without having data and reports to show WHAT HAPPENED, is only speculating and making things up. If you dont mind reading speculation, thats your choice, but I prefer to wait for facts..

Old 06-21-2010, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Just trying to help you out.

So you are blaming the agency that is supposed to regulate BP more than you are blaming BP itself, huh? What is this, Junior High??

Hey I am all for more government regulation. This is just another example of why the "Just get the Government the Hell out of the Way and let America Flourish" crowd are completely nuts. If the agency failed, hang them high too.

But if BP was "trying to do the right thing" in the first place, there would be no need for the government to babysit them at all. You follow?
I don't need to read opinions.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:25 AM

Obama's thuggery is useless in fighting spill | Washington Examiner (http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/politics/Obama_s-thuggery-is-useless-in-fighting-spill-96684389.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies