Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 11:12 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,207,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Israel has a right to exist, and the solution to the Middle East is actually pretty easy.

- Israel retain a small portion of the West Bank where they have substantial settlements

- An equal amount of land be swapped to the Palestinians for this territory

- A shared Jerusalem, perhaps with a UN patrol over the next decade or so

- Arab nations, including Palestine recognize Israel's right to exist as a Jewish state, with immediate a significant punishment of rocket fire

- Hamas renounce their anti-semitic charter, and replace it with something more reasonable

- Jordan, Saudi Arabia and Egypt help with the establishment of a constructive Palestinian economy

That is the outline of a settlement that could be workable for both sides.
I guess no "right" for the Palestinian to exist unconditionally as Israel does?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 11:12 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,155,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilpin Girl View Post
If it's relevant to the discussion, fine. I'm just not interested in Biblical Hell fire, "They killed Jesus!" Junk. Strictly historical.
"FOR BEHOLD, in those days and at that time when I shall reverse the captivity and restore the fortunes of Judah and Jerusalem, I will gather all nations and will bring them down into the Valley of Jehoshaphat, and there will I deal with and execute judgment upon them for their treatment of My people and of My heritage Israel, whom they have scattered among the nations and because they have divided My land." Joel 3:1-2

The land is broken. Jews are scattered all around the world.

Now, you say you don't want religion or hellfire or any of that stuff. But, stop for a moment and consider this. God didn't say that "dividing my Land" was Boston or London or Abu Dhabi or Tehran or Dublin. He said Israel. Which is precisely why Arabs/Jews/Christians fight as they do in the Middle East.

It's being quite short-sighted, in my view, to consider Israel a geopolitical situation only. Because I can assure you that those fighting could care less about the politics of the situation. They care about the inheritence of the land of Mesopotamia.

Old 06-17-2010, 11:15 PM

615 posts, read 546,070 times
I don't believe any country has a "right" to exist, you either do the things to exist, or you get knocked out of existence. That is how it has been throughout history, it is all about survival. Do you think the Turks are going to wake up one morning and decide to give the Greeks back the land they took from them? Not very likely.

Old 06-17-2010, 11:16 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,247,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
I guess no "right" for the Palestinian to exist unconditionally as Israel does?
I stated that they should receive help, this means both economic and logistical, in building a constructive society.

Over time, they should be able to stand more on their own. They need institutions, and processes to develop trade.

Old 06-17-2010, 11:16 PM

469 posts, read 579,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♠atizar♠ View Post
Apparently, for you, a cogent thought = "you agree with me". What's the purpose of this thread then?

I don't want pie in the sky theory. I don't want your opinion with no supporting data. I'm willing to listen to any argument for or against as soon as somebody posts one.

Old 06-17-2010, 11:18 PM

2,079 posts, read 4,955,630 times
Israel is illegitimate...which is the sole reason why it has had no peace from the day of its scandalous conception.

Last edited by dorado0359; 06-17-2010 at 11:18 PM.. Reason: ...

Old 06-17-2010, 11:18 PM

615 posts, read 546,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Less than 0.08% of our federal budget goes to Israel.

We just pissed away trillions on bailouts, pork for BO's supporters and to chum the corporate donor waters for the next election. Your concern about the few billions sent to Israel and Egypt lacks credibility.

Define "blindly"...
.08 of our budget is a lot of money, Israel doesn't deserve one cent of my tax dollars or any other Americans. They also get loads of military aide, and sell our technology to our competitors. Israel is no friend of the US, the quicker you type of people learn that the better of will be as a country.

Old 06-17-2010, 11:19 PM

2,104 posts, read 1,445,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
I stated that they should receive help, this means both economic and logistical, in building a constructive society.

Over time, they should be able to stand more on their own. They need institutions, and processes to develop trade.
And ironically, what you suggest is sort of like what the world.. well part of it.. tried to do with Israel and succeeded with. Israel can stand on it's own now.

Old 06-17-2010, 11:19 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,133,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
If Hamas laid down their weapons, there would be peace.

If Israel laid down their weapons, there would be no Israel.

When will Israel stop building settlements?
When will the block on Gaza stop?

After Hamas lay down their weapons?

Old 06-17-2010, 11:20 PM

2,104 posts, read 1,445,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilpin Girl View Post
I don't want pie in the sky theory. I don't want your opinion with no supporting data. I'm willing to listen to any argument for or against as soon as somebody posts one.
Well, how convenient for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies