Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 10:55 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,159,247 times

Advertisements

All of these are excellent responses. It just goes to show that the media very frequently gets it wrong. Whether intentional or not, we should all greet every story we read with great skepticism, because somewhere there's likely a person who could point out vast errors.

I wish that we could expect integrity in our media, but the fact is we cannot, as demonstrated here on this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2010, 04:35 PM

555 posts, read 878,128 times
The president of a company I used to work for did a TV interview on a public broadcast station. Many people at the company were very complimentary the next day about how well he did in the interview. What they didn't know was that he had all the questions in advance. I knew because I was tasked with providing him one of the answers.

I have declined to give interviews to the media on several occasions. Nothing important, but I will never cooperate with the media while they hypocritically refuse to give interviews themselves.

Old 06-19-2010, 04:44 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,569,548 times
In defense of local TV news, they only have time for a soundbite. You could give them a well thought out interview and in editing, only a brief few words is played if at all. However, which words are selected tell a story about the angle from which they wish to portray the story. Print news are famous for bold statement headlines while the facts are usually hidden near the end of the article. Gone are the days of indepth reporting of the facts.

Old 06-19-2010, 04:48 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,541,656 times
My BIL got caught up in the Rodney King incident and the media crucified those cops. Showing the film of the cops beating over and over not how King charged at the cops to begin with. Well, you know the end there. Riots in LA, people killed, etc, etc. etc. Afterward, a jerk broke into the safehouse/prison the cop was being held at and killed a policeman and a prisoner not even related to the King incident. The cop they were after wasn't even there. That story was never reported in the press---oh it may have been on page 10 in a small paragraph.

I sometimes think the media should be brought up on charges for making news that in the long run end many lives.

Old 06-19-2010, 06:07 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,541,656 times
No response??? What, you think those officers didn't have family?

Old 06-19-2010, 10:21 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,930,380 times
To answer the OP's question, many times. Everything from health care to sporting events. Working in immunizatons, we learned to not respond to anything in the media b/c it just encouraged the anti-immunization people. The local press was always trying to present "both sides" to the point that they would print all sorts on crazy stuff. I used to report my kids' gymnastics meets to the local papers, and they generally screwed up a lot of stuff, even when I e-mailed or faxed the correct information to them.

Old 06-19-2010, 10:57 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,349,526 times
I worked for many years for a large brokerage house on the trading floor of a major NY exchange. Journalists of all kinds were always buzzing around looking for stories or comments. We all wore name tags and even an innocuous comment like "I don't know" or "I can't talk about that" could be blown into a fiasco with your name next to it. You quickly learn to pretend they don't exist and leave any commentary to the firms PR division.

Old 06-19-2010, 11:59 PM

1,372 posts, read 1,551,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I, like many of you, am an avid reader of newspapers, editorials, magazines, journals, etc. In this age of 24-hour news coverage, its easy to get your fill of world events.

However, I greet each article with skepticism because I personally have been stung by media misrepresentation via misquoting and general out-of-context reporting on various subjects. To be honest, it's enough to make a person furious because there's very little in the way of recourse to correct the message. In most cases, it is what it is and you pretty much just have to settle for what was reported.

Most people view the media as having a bit of slant and bias, which breeds skepticism in and of itself. But I was wondering if any of you, or anything that you're closely associated with that you know the details and inner-workings of, have been misrepresented or misquoted by the media before? Did it help your cause? Hurt your cause? Or simply make you roll your eyes and distrust media even more?
Great thread Aero. I think that this is something that we can all identify with regardless of political affiliation. We've all been stung.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies