Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 02:12 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,163,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
A friend defended his home from burglars wh had fired upon him in his house and he returned fire with his .357 killing one and severely injuring the other one, here is the catch he had laser sights on his .357 (I'm almost positve it was an SP101) and he used reloads. He was portrayed in the newspapers as a professional killer with his "Military Laser Guiding System" and his "Nuclear Missile Type Bullets". He went into a deep depression after the incident for about a year. He was in his late sixties at the time it happened.

I learned a few things after this happened, remove the reloads from my .45 ( He made for me) and don't injure anyone, kill them all.
Excellent example James, thanks for sharing. It's amazing how little effort is put into a news report these days. How hard would it be to correctly identify a gun and its ammunition? Not hard at all. Instead, the media would rather fill their own blanks, no matter the damage it may do to the unsuspecting victim of their non-existent journalistic expertise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 02:46 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,157,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
he used reloads.

I learned a few things after this happened, remove the reloads from my .45 ( He made for me) and don't injure anyone, kill them all.
Find out what ammunition the police in your area use in their service weapons and use that. It's hard for the prosecution in any criminal/civil case to zero in on your ammo if it's the same as what the local police use.

That was the advice given by the instructor of the CCW class I had to take, and it's darn good advice. I now have two boxes of Speer Gold Dot in my safe - one box of .40 and one box of .32, less two clips worth of each (one for testing and one for carrying).

Old 06-18-2010, 03:03 PM

45,556 posts, read 60,809,385 times
Personally, yes. The response is to hit back hard immediately and demand a correction/retraction.

Organizations, yes. Same response.

Old 06-18-2010, 03:33 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,604,003 times
Yes. I know a guy that was misrepresented. He knew the article was coming out and asked the newspaper only onne favor, to write about it as it happened. They didn't and it was a clear attempt to put a negative spin on it. I'm not saying interpretations were different, there were facts that were not reported clearly enough so that the assumption would be toward the negative.

Old 06-18-2010, 03:38 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,702,011 times
Black people in general.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:16 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,800,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I, like many of you, am an avid reader of newspapers, editorials, magazines, journals, etc. In this age of 24-hour news coverage, its easy to get your fill of world events.

However, I greet each article with skepticism because I personally have been stung by media misrepresentation via misquoting and general out-of-context reporting on various subjects. To be honest, it's enough to make a person furious because there's very little in the way of recourse to correct the message. In most cases, it is what it is and you pretty much just have to settle for what was reported.

Most people view the media as having a bit of slant and bias, which breeds skepticism in and of itself. But I was wondering if any of you, or anything that you're closely associated with that you know the details and inner-workings of, have been misrepresented or misquoted by the media before? Did it help your cause? Hurt your cause? Or simply make you roll your eyes and distrust media even more?
I don't get in the papers or on TV because I am a "small people" and they don't put "small people" on TV but I do know of a certain news outlet that just plain lied about our union during our contract negotiations once by saying we "will probably strike because we are far apart on pay" when in fact pay had ZERO to do with it and the company and union had already agreed on compensation issues. The disagreements were over health benefits, mandatory overtime and seniority issues. And we were nowhere near the point of a strike and in fact did not.

Old 06-19-2010, 10:10 AM

88,733 posts, read 85,100,154 times
Quote:
I, like many of you, am an avid reader of newspapers, editorials, magazines, journals, etc. In this age of 24-hour news coverage, its easy to get your fill of world events.

However, I greet each article with skepticism because I personally have been stung by media misrepresentation via misquoting and general out-of-context reporting on various subjects. To be honest, it's enough to make a person furious because there's very little in the way of recourse to correct the message. In most cases, it is what it is and you pretty much just have to settle for what was reported.

Most people view the media as having a bit of slant and bias, which breeds skepticism in and of itself. But I was wondering if any of you, or anything that you're closely associated with that you know the details and inner-workings of, have been misrepresented or misquoted by the media before? Did it help your cause? Hurt your cause? Or simply make you roll your eyes and distrust media even more?
Yes. My employer is a large public transportation agency. We are in the news every day to some extent. We even get a daily email with the clips from area media containing news stories about our facilities or things going on with the agency.

There are slants and errors and outright misinformation all the time. More frequently, it comes in the form of omission--telling only part of the story and leaving out facts that would lead one to a different conclusion. After years of seeing this, I am at the eye-roll stage, and yes, distrust the media. Anything I read, whether related to what I know or not, I read aware of the fact that I am probably not getting the whole story.

Old 06-19-2010, 10:19 AM

4,494 posts, read 7,490,229 times
Quote:

Yeah, being a UAW worker, at the time of the bail-outs, among other things, was a real treat to watch through the media's point-of-view.

I made a whole thread dedicated to all the misinformation that was out there at the time.

Old 06-19-2010, 10:20 AM

88,733 posts, read 85,100,154 times
I've got one that was close to me personally that made me just drop my jaw.

My sister-in-law married a divorced man with two daughters. She then had two children with this man. One of her stepdaughters had mental-illness issues from young childhood. By the time the girl was 14, the natural mother said she could no longer handle her and sent her to live with my SIL and her husband. The first night she was there, she snuck out of the house and went to see her 18-year-old boyfriend. She came home wearing only her underwear, banging at the door at 4 a.m. to be let in. My SIL told her that if she was going to live with them, this behavior was not acceptable. She had two young sons and didn't want them living in a disrupted household.

The next morning my SIL took her two sons to school and returned to the house. Her husband had gone to work. When she walked into the house, the stepdaughter was waiting for her with her hand behind her back. She said, "I have a surprise for you," and brought her hand around with a butcher knife in it and jumped my sister-in-law. She stabbed her 38 times in the chest and back and arms, just missing the vital organs but severing nerves that caused permanent damage. My SIL managed to run outside to the driveway, where luckily her neighbor leaving for work saw her covered in blood and took her to the hospital. The stepdaughter then stole my SIL's car and drove to her boyfriend's house. When the cops got there, she was in bed having sex with the boyfriend. The cops, unsure if the boyfriend was part of it, arrested him on charges of statuatory rape since he was 18 and the girl 14.

The headline in the paper the next day read "Rape Victim Stabs Woman." The article talked about a 14-year-old girl who had been living with a "couple" and stated that it did not know the relationship of the girl to the people with whom she lived, and never mentioned that the "rape" was her having sex with a man of adult age. It sounded like a very different situation from what actually happened. We were completely disgusted with that newspaper.

Old 06-19-2010, 10:26 AM

4,494 posts, read 7,490,229 times
Here is the thread i was talking about. A goodie, but oldie......

http:https://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...scapegoat.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies