Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 09:57 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,849,003 times

Advertisements

These scholarships are awarded by the UNCF from money donated by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. You will have a hard time avoiding products from companies that have donated to UNCF.

UNCF
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 12:30 AM

3,071 posts, read 3,227,464 times
Wow a white guy saying whites are not eligible for his scholarships? Okay............

Old 06-22-2010, 06:13 AM

3,124 posts, read 4,939,495 times
I stopped reading about half way through, so I apologize if I'm repeating someone elses comment:

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but the idea of race based scholarships is to counter the racism and roadblocks that can be thrown in the way of minorities. Yes, it does happen. People are denied access to opportunity due to race in this country.

Again, I'm not arguing whether it's right or wrong - just stating the purpose behind such scholarships.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:17 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,461,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel and The Dolphin View Post
I stopped reading about half way through, so I apologize if I'm repeating someone elses comment:

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but the idea of race based scholarships is to counter the racism and roadblocks that can be thrown in the way of minorities. Yes, it does happen. People are denied access to opportunity due to race in this country.

Again, I'm not arguing whether it's right or wrong - just stating the purpose behind such scholarships.
Please tell us where, when and how roadblocks of racism get in the way of minorities' access to opportunities. Please list things that are happening TODAY, not something that happened 60 years ago.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:23 AM

5,412 posts, read 4,242,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Meh...it's his money...he can choose how to use it.
so why can't bar owners choose to allow smoking in bars?

Old 06-22-2010, 01:26 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,304,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Please tell us where, when and how roadblocks of racism get in the way of minorities' access to opportunities. Please list things that are happening TODAY, not something that happened 60 years ago.
There are companies and schools that still do it. Not as blatant and harder to prove, but just because you can't see air doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Old 06-22-2010, 01:32 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,295,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lariat View Post
It's funny and sad at the same time.

If this is true, then Bill Gates must hate himself every morning when he gets up and see a white boy who made it in America.

I'll never figure out the self-hating whitey.
So, a person is "self-hating" because he wants to share his wealth with non-traditional students?
I give lots of money away to a lot of different groups.
Does that mean that I hate myself? Or that I want to share my wealth with those less fortunate than me?

It seems to me that Bill Gates is sharing his wealth in an act of love for his fellow human beings.

Are you projecting your feelings onto someone else?

Old 06-22-2010, 01:33 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,304,236 times
I love how any white person that agrees with a stance a minority group may have or supports a minority group is some kind of self-hating white person or a race traitor.

Old 06-22-2010, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viny80 View Post
Personally there are too many scholarships to help the poor, what about the Middle CLASS??? We get screwed.
Good grades will get you assistance.
You can also work and go to school like most people.
Or you can blame others.

Old 06-22-2010, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I find it a bit odd that Asians would be included in his scholarships. Generally, Asians can afford to send their kids to college, and Asian students don't have any problems qualifying for entry into the top universities. Actually, the academic bar is set higher for Asians since there are too many eligible students applying for these schools.

So if the purpose of the Millennium Scholarships is financial help, Asian don't need it. And if its purpose is to encourage academic excellence, Asian students don't need that encouragement either, as their parents have that under control also.

So if I could, I would tell Bill Gates to stuff it, and have his scholarship fund exclude Asians along with white students.

I feel bad for all the white kids living in poverty conditions, clearly no one cares about them.
Oh please.
I know several Asian families that don't have the stereotypical families that you're describing. Also, are you describing only East Asians or the SE Asians from Viet Nam, Lao, Cambodia, Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia and Burma also. How about Tibetans and other Chinese minorities? These people do need help.

Just like I can't speak for every white kid, you can't speak for every Asian kid.

Poor white kids, they'll never have any help in this world. Feh.

Last edited by chielgirl; 06-22-2010 at 02:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies