Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 03:59 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times

Advertisements

What happened to Michelle Obama's law license?

the bar exam in Illinois, passing it on her second try and receiving her license from the state of Illinois.

Seriously, do you guys not know that in order to BEGIN working for a law firm as an associate, you have had to TAKEN the bar exam.. Since she didnt get her license until 1989, she HAD to have failed it in 1988 or they couldnt have hired her with a title of "associate"..

http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos053.htm
Newly hired attorneys usually start as associates and work with more experienced lawyers or judges

She wasnt an attorney at the time, so the lawfirm would have to have some expectation that she would become one soon, or they couldnt give her the title..

Last edited by pghquest; 06-20-2010 at 04:11 PM..

Old 06-20-2010, 03:59 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,530,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Neither. The person making the assertion bears the burden of providing credible supporting evidence. A blog quote by itself is NOT credible.
The source was provided. A certain poster has a track record of making assertions but any time anyone disagrees demands "proof." On readily available info, And when a link is provided for some reason they can't find it! lol

We can all do internet searches. I assert laziness or denial is no way to try and side-track a debate.

Old 06-20-2010, 04:06 PM

2,104 posts, read 1,443,163 times
Did the internet lawyers on this forum pass the bar?

Can they even say that they tried and failed?

Old 06-20-2010, 04:08 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,339,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
The source was provided. A certain poster has a track record of making assertions but any time anyone disagrees demands "proof." On readily available info, And when a link is provided for some reason they can't find it! lol

We can all do internet searches. I assert laziness or denial is no way to try and side-track a debate.
The source was a BLOG, which is simply someone's OPINION. No FACTS have been provided to support the assertion.

Old 06-20-2010, 04:11 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
The source was a BLOG, which is simply someone's OPINION. No FACTS have been provided to support the assertion.
Not only did I provide facts, I provided a BLS link to validate the facts, just 3 postings above yours.. Come back and tell me the Bureau of Labor is wrong...

Old 06-20-2010, 04:13 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,272,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
What happened to Michelle Obama's law license?

the bar exam in Illinois, passing it on her second try and receiving her license from the state of Illinois.
WORLD NUT DAILY? All you can source are Conspiracy kook sites?

THAT IS your SOURCE of this claim? And tHEY DIDNT even SOURCE their claim. THAT IS THEIR CONCLUSION!!!!

YOu said that Steve Sailer's article said that she failed her bar exam. IT said nothing of the sort.

And now you use WORLD NUT DAILY as your source for this claim?? ARE YOU FREAKING high?

Word NUT Daily - they have no problems in spreading lies about Obama and his family. They are forerunners in the birther movement!!!!

Please point out exactly where World NUT Daily sourced their claim you posted above. In their article, there is not foot note, not a reference. It's a statement made by them. not by anyone official not by Michelle, not by any government agency.

HOLY damn, you are just grasping at straws now!!!

Quote:
Seriously, do you guys not know that in order to BEGIN working for a law firm as an associate, you have had to TAKEN the bar exam.. Since she didnt get her license until 1989, she HAD to have failed it in 1988 or they couldnt have hired her with a title of "associate"..

Lawyers
Newly hired attorneys usually start as associates and work with more experienced lawyers or judges

She wasnt a LAWYER at the time, so the lawfirm would have to have some expectation that she would become one soon, or they couldnt give her the title..
NOT SUPPORTED BY ANYTHING YOU HAVE POSTED THUS FAR!!

YOU can work for a LAW firm without having a LAW license. In fact many law firms do this. They actually help with paying and studying a newly graduated student with the BAR Exam.

USUALLY is the key word here.

Did you even bother to contact Sidley and Austin to see if they normally hired non-licensed associates?

You are making assumptions based on the lies of a known KOOK website.

Old 06-20-2010, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Not only did I provide facts, I provided a BLS link to validate the facts, just 3 postings above yours.. Come back and tell me the Bureau of Labor is wrong...

No you did not. You linked to an artilce on a known kook conspiracy website, which did not link to ANY evidence that supports their claims (that she failed any bar exam)

And the BLS website to which you linked to, doesn't say what you think it says.

YOU provide no facts whatsoever. YOU repeated the lies of an article on WND, which is a conpsiracy website that have constantly posted lies about Barack Obama and his family. They are the forefront scammers in the birther movement.

Old 06-20-2010, 04:16 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,339,494 times
Quote:
Where in the BLS link does it state that MO failed the 1988 Illinois BAR exam??

Old 06-20-2010, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Where in the BLS link does it state that MO failed the 1988 Illinois BAR exam??
He using this part of that link:

Quote:
Advancement. Most beginning lawyers start in salaried positions. Newly hired attorneys usually start as associates and work with more experienced lawyers or judges. After several years, some lawyers are admitted to partnership in their firm, which means that they are partial owners of the firm, or go into practice for themselves. Some experienced lawyers are nominated or elected to judgeships. (See the section on judges, magistrates, and other judicial workers elsewhere in the Handbook.) Others become full-time law school faculty or administrators; a growing number of these lawyers have advanced degrees in other fields as well.
to state that all law firms do not hire non-licensed law students into their firms into a position of an "associate" which is what Michelle Obama's position at Sidley & Austin when she worked there.

Of course that is not always the case. You can be hired into an Associate position, if you show that you will be taking the bar exam within the usual, 90 day probation period (or 6 months, depending on the company - I know a law firm that will give you a year to take the exam), or they are paying so that you are able to take the bar exam.

Old 06-20-2010, 04:35 PM

5,342 posts, read 4,430,050 times
OP answered in the first 5 posts. After that ALL are off topic.

Thread closed.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do NOT reply to moderator posts that are in RED.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies