Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you agree with extending the Family and Medical Leave Act to same-sex couples?
Yes 76 72.38%
No 24 22.86%
Not sure 5 4.76%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 08:01 AM

37,972 posts, read 22,151,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
The Associated Press: AP sources: Gay workers to get family leave

And don't be surprised if many conservatives and Republicans are angered by this.
What about steady boyfriend/girlfriends of normal people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 08:06 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
What about steady boyfriend/girlfriends of normal people?
You know NORMAL people???

Where? Who?

Old 06-22-2010, 08:08 AM

37,972 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizjo View Post
I got your back on this one! In the same boat. My relationship has lasted 25 years and most people think we're married.
However, I do think people in committed, long-term relationships, gay or straight, deserve some consideration.
You should understand the reasoning behind why governments encourage and promote marriage between men and women and why they endorse and support married couples.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:10 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
What special rights do gays want? (ANOTHER UNanswered question...rightists NEVER can answer that)....YOU think they're special but they only want equal rights....
Answered NUMEROUS times now.. You must still be sleeping. Is this thread not discussing one of those "special rights"? Protection of the Family and Medical Leave act to be extended to gays, while not extended to non-gays..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Wellll, I can see other reasons you'RE not married but my spouse and I must have a better tax person....we pay less now that we're married....
Was that another personal attack? The fact that YOU pay less because your married, doesnt mean everyone else does.. There are marriage penalties for some investments..

Old 06-22-2010, 08:10 AM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Since gays are nothing more than "acquantences", then I guess the answer to your question is.. yes..

To the OP, I'll support it when we non married straights who co-habitate, are afforded the same rights, because now I'M being discriminated again, would you not agree?

No. Because you have the right to get married. If you want those rights, just get married.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:11 AM

178 posts, read 101,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Is there any evidence of this? If someone is born with one leg, does that mean they will also have red hair... Both are statistical abnormalities. If you choose behave in an abnormal way, does that mean everything you do will be abnormal? I'm sorry, but this is too general and vague to be considered evidence.

This is just blather. Homosexuality is natural. It occurs in most mammals.

If you think it's a mental disorder, science and medicine disagree with you. By the way there are plenty of mental disorders you are born with. Ever heard of mental retardation? How about autism? All scientific evidence points to the fact that people are born with these mental disorders.

It seems like your argument is simply colored by your own inability to fathom homosexual sex acts. The fact that you reduce gay relationships simply to sex acts you find "disgusting" is certainly evidence of this.

Your arguments are merit-less, unscientific and simply wrong.
It's not normal end of story. Animals in the wild produce children they don't commit disgusting acts of sexual pleasure because they can. It is a mental illness if it wasn't then why do they have places that try and treat homosexuals?

Old 06-22-2010, 08:12 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
No. Because you have the right to get married. If you want those rights, just get married.
So now its ok to discriminate against those who DONT get married, even though the federal government would penalize me for doing so.

btw, marriage is NOT a "right", NO ONE has the "right" to get married.. its a privlidge..

Old 06-22-2010, 08:13 AM

178 posts, read 101,208 times
The fact is debating with pro homosexual people is like talking to a brick. It does no good at all because your minds are already made up and filled with disgusting things. I would rather separate myself from those kind of people and live among people who have some sense of decency.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:13 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,452,624 times
Quote:
If I co-habitate with an individual (which I have done for 15 years), am I afforded the same "rights" as the gays? Is the family and medical leave act being extended to straight non married couples?
No law is preventing you from getting married. If you do decide to get married, every state will recognize your union. You can't say the same for gays and lesbians.

If you want to get FMLA benefits then quit shacking-up and get married.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:15 AM

15,865 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:
So now its ok to discriminate against those who DONT get married, even though the federal government would penalize me for doing so.

btw, marriage is NOT a "right", NO ONE has the "right" to get married.. its a privlidge..
And that privilege comes with benefits. You are CHOOSING not to do something that most gays in this country cannot legally do. Big difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies