Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 10:18 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times

Advertisements

I think we should take farming corporations, drug companies, military contractors, and the rest of the list of businesses getting government subsidies and sole source contracts off of WELFARE. Then we might have enough money to help the poor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 10:19 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
It can be done but be prepared for the riots and violence as those who are force-weaned take to the streets. Think what happened in Greece on steroids.

1. Welfare should be a hand-up, not a hand-out.

2. It is insane to pay people on welfare to have babies. Contraception control (for both men and women) should be part of the welfare contract. Can't feed 'em? Don't breed 'em!

3. Generational welfare is a huge problem pepetuated by the government to maintain special interest voting blocks. It must stop just as generations of children with parents in prison must stop. I don't have the solution but it is obvious that when the government stepped in and took over fatherhood responsibilities for providing for women with children that society went on a downward spiral for the poor.

Old 06-25-2010, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Anchor babies qualify for welfare. LOL..do you really think they require a 2 year old to find a job ? They don't require the parents because the parents are not on the welfare, the kids are. The parents aren't legal citizens.

Care to explain that one ? I would advise you to take a closer look at that "job after two years" part in more detail.
It's not a general statement applicable to all in case you think it might be.
The Constitutionality of birthright citizenship when the parents are illegal aliens is being seriously researched. We need a Constitutional amendment to end the anchor baby epidemic and we needed it yesterday!

Last edited by lifelongMOgal; 06-25-2010 at 10:38 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 06-25-2010, 10:23 AM

615 posts, read 545,211 times
There are people who do need welfare, and I think that should be open to those who do need it. There are also some people who abuse the system, and they should be cracked down on. I also don't think anchor babies and mothers should be able to get welfare before a citizen, if at all. I know a guy in his late 50's now that is in the hosptial because he no longer could afford to pay for his meds, this shouldn't be happening, now when we got millions of illegals abusing the system and bleeding it dry.

Old 06-25-2010, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I think we should take farming corporations, drug companies, military contractors, and the rest of the list of businesses getting government subsidies and sole source contracts off of WELFARE. Then we might have enough money to help the poor.
The poor in this country get medical, food, housing assistance as it is. The US is the only country in the world where poverty comes with a cellphone and cable TV. It is time the poor started to help themselves instead of endless handouts.

I'm not against ending corporate welfare, I'm for drastically limiting what welfare remains on all fronts. Socialized medicine included!

Old 06-25-2010, 10:24 AM

4,272 posts, read 3,787,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
No more giving women money to have more children out of wedlock.
There are some documented cases of this happening, but most women would rather not push out a kid for some extra bucks. And you don't mention anything about paternal responsibility. Paternity should be determined for the new born child and the father (no matter where he's at in his life) should be responsible for part of the cost of the child to society.

Quote:
Make it impossible for illegals to get any money as well.
It is illegal for non-citizens to get welfare, and it's probably not that easy (to get the money and find the contacts) to get legal papers. Of course, you can have a kid and the kid would collect.

Quote:
Theres generations of people who only know welfare...
This is a major problem. The biggest problem with welfare, in my opinion. The goal of welfare should be to get people off of welfare, and maybe it is, but it's a goal that doesn't seem to be realized very often. I don't know of a solution for this.

Quote:
Lets have a program where they are forced to work for housing..
Then they would have to be entrepeneurs because the places where welfare recipients live have no work available. Those neighborhoods are pretty much the armpits of the world. The reason is what you stated just above, no-one (family, neighbors, etc.) knows any other way of life. How do you jump start a community? I don't know of any solution.

Quote:
And the Basics.Some people on welfare have it better than the..
Working poor.
Mostly because of the issues you supported, section 8 housing and food stamps. If you earn too much (say, from work), that income disqualifies you from section 8 and food stamp programs. The steps from welfare recipient to workingman overlap. Going to work can actually be a step down in some cases. This transition area needs to be looked at much closer.

Old 06-25-2010, 10:28 AM

1,890 posts, read 2,653,965 times
Yes, we can. Will we? No, we won't. This country was great when everybody pulled their own weight.

Cut welfare and shoot anyone who dare to start a riot.

Old 06-25-2010, 10:34 AM

2,514 posts, read 1,987,005 times
Can we end welfare? Yes if you are willing to live with the concequences

Old 06-25-2010, 10:34 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,931,928 times
[hijack] Liberal or Conservative, white or black, comfortable or middle class. Eat, drink and forget about the idle poor because you have much bigger problems around the corner. The Republicans have come down against anymore unemployment extensions... dum da dum dum... I don't know about y'all but I'm thinking its about to get warm up in here very soon. Make 'them' hoe weeds.... you mean make us hoe weeds. Our employers are, even as we speak, working on ways to automate our jobs away, outsource our jobs away and/or H1B our jobs away. Against that kind of concerted attack the end of the Middle Class as we knew it is a mere decade or so away. I think its cowardly to look askance at the 10 or 20 billion that the poor are costing us while we avert our eyes from the 200 or more billion that 1% of us have as liquid capital to keep the wheels turning on a satisfactory QOF for all Americans. Seriously, if we don't collectively grow grapefruit size cojones and bum rush the coffers of the wealthy we, the self identified 'middle class' are going to be flat, dead, broke. Without any of the street smarts that the long term indigent possess we will be coyote food in the same month that we receive our last paycheck. [/hijack] As you were.

H

Old 06-25-2010, 10:47 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
1. Welfare should be a hand-up, not a hand-out.

2. It is insane to pay people on welfare to have babies. Contraception control (for both men and women) should be part of the welfare contract. Can't feed 'em? Don't breed 'em!
Cute little jingles that don't really say anything. Are you pro-life? What if a welfare recipient gets pregnant accidentally? Abortion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
The poor in this country get medical, food, housing assistance as it is. The US is the only country in the world where poverty comes with a cellphone and cable TV. It is time the poor started to help themselves instead of endless handouts.

I'm not against ending corporate welfare, I'm for drastically limiting what welfare remains on all fronts. Socialized medicine included!
Please provide some documentation for the first bold.

Secondly, are you in favor of massive farm subsidies? Ag is big in Missouri, is it not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies