Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 11:49 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,454,726 times

Advertisements

Might as well end all of the child tax credits and dependent exemptions. No need to subsidize lifestyle choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 11:52 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,158,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
I would love to see the end of Welfare as we know it.
Provide assistance to the disabled,i have no issue with that.
Provide Section 8 housing,provide government food no issue there.
No more giving women money to have more children out of wedlock."""

So you really HATE children....wish to see them suffer....bet you're against ABORTION though, aren't ya???:roll eyes:

"""Make it impossible for illegals to get any money as well.
Theres generations of people who only know welfare...
Lets have a program where they are forced to work for housing..
And the Basics.Some people on welfare have it better than the..
Working poor.
YUP! Obama is trying to end welfare with a FINANCIAL REFORM bill now....hopefully the financial world will be kept in check so millionaires and billionaires will receive no more WELFARE CHECKS that YOU and I paid for....!

OK, back to your hate rant on the poor.......

Old 06-25-2010, 11:57 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,356,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
YUP! Obama is trying to end welfare with a FINANCIAL REFORM bill now....hopefully the financial world will be kept in check so millionaires and billionaires will receive no more WELFARE CHECKS that YOU and I paid for....!

Yep, let them take their money out of the system.......

Obama can just print soon more.

Old 06-25-2010, 12:12 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,168,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Yep, let them take their money out of the system.......

Obama can just print soon more.
You're an advocate of corporate welfare?

Old 06-25-2010, 12:17 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,356,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
You're an advocate of corporate welfare?
First, I do not think it as corporate welfare.....however, what breaks for corporations are you referring to???

I am against the bail outs. All of them.

Old 06-25-2010, 12:19 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,619,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
I would love to see the end of Welfare as we know it.
Provide assistance to the disabled,i have no issue with that.
Provide Section 8 housing,provide government food no issue there.
No more giving women money to have more children out of wedlock.
Make it impossible for illegals to get any money as well.
Theres generations of people who only know welfare...
Lets have a program where they are forced to work for housing..
And the Basics.Some people on welfare have it better than the..
Working poor.

I'm probably as conservative as anyone here...but that is some wishful thinking. It's tough to eliminate the waste w/out hurting people that actually need it. I'd like to get rid of it...but honestly...I have no idea how we do it. We can start small, but it's going to be tough to do.

Old 06-25-2010, 12:20 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,949,243 times
Quote:

Obama is not trying to end welfare. He is just redistributing the wealth and handing cash over to voting blocks of non-producer parasites.

End it all, period. Stop robbing Peter (producer taxpayer) to pay Paul (parasitic non-producer) to sucure political power.

Old 06-25-2010, 12:24 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,949,243 times
Quote:

Obam is making no effort to stop welfare. Stop being untruthful. He is expanding it at ever opportunity. Redistribution of wealth from producers in society to non-producers. End all welfare, government,corporate and individual. Period. Then I'll be convinced Obama is ending welfare.

The game of robbing Peter (producer taxpayer) to pay Paul (non-prodcer parasite) in order to buy votes and maintain political power is destroying this constitutional republic. It is not a hate rant against the poor. It is a rant against a corrupt government that uses taxpayer money for the benefit of politicians and political pay-backs.

The campaign reform bill is a sham that treats financial political donors differently depending upon which side of the aisle the lobbiest group historically vote.

Old 06-25-2010, 12:26 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,065,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Please explain the welfare rules pertaining to anchor babies and the 2 year requirement to get a job ? Or the 5 year max ?
By anchor babies, are you referring to our fellow U.S. citizens? You know the millions of children born to immigrants, legal or illegal who have populated this country ever since the passage of the 14th Amendment, those citizens?

Now I have absolutely no objections to amending the 14th Amendment to require at least one parent to be a legal resident, preferably a permanent legal resident but that is neither here nor there.

On to welfare rules.

Every state has its own welfare provisions which can be supplemental to those of the federal governent, so, I won't try to review the provisions for all 50 states. However, with regards to the federal government, welfare, otherwise known as Temporary Assistance for Needy Families as you point out has a 2 year job requirement and has 5 year life time eligibility maximum. By 5 year maximum I mean that if you receive 3 years of benefits from let's say 2000 to 2003 you can only receive an additional 2 years at any point in your life time. This in a effect completely destroys the canard that welfare produces "generations" of welfare recipients.

As for the 2 year employment requirement:
TANF recipients are expected to participate in work activities while receiving benefits. After twenty-four months of assistance, states must require recipients to work at least part-time in order to continue to receive cash benefits. States are permitted to exempt certain groups from the work-activity requirements, including parents of very young children (up to one year) and disabled adults. The TANF law defines the "work activities" that count when determining a state's work participation rate. Table 9.4 lists the work-activity requirements by state for single parents who are at least twenty years old and nonparental caretakers.

To be counted as a work participant, a TANF recipient was required to work at least twenty hours a week in 1997 and 1998. This requirement rose to twenty-five hours in 1999 and thirty in 2000, unless the recipient has a child under six. In the first two years, the twenty required hours were to be spent in one or more of these nine high-priority activities:

Read more: Welfare-to-Work Programs - Work Requirements For Tanf Recipients Welfare-to-Work Programs - Work Requirements For Tanf Recipients

Old 06-25-2010, 12:27 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,065,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Obam is making no effort to stop welfare.
Thank god!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies