Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2010, 10:25 PM

2,553 posts, read 2,435,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmd2010 View Post
I have always known that tattoos look hideous. Many years ago it was only ex cons that had tattoos. About 10-15 years ago younger people started getting tattoos. During this time, I always said "you will never see a tattoo on this body." I always understood that they look ugly plastered on the skin and the people with tattoos look trashy. Before I was married I had a theory with women that always proved true each and every time. Any woman with a tattoo has has underlying issues and will always end up to be trouble. Tattoos just look terrible from the beginning. Literally every few months or years that the person grows older and more mature the tattoos look more and more ridiculous with every passing time frame. This paradigm shift in thinking is inevitable and once it starts to set the person with tattoos is going to feel more and more like a circus clown.
I have a theory about this topic. In our youth, we all want to express our individuality and be unique. In doing this, we all seem to go out of our way to make ourselves completely different from the generations before us and at the same time we end up looking incredibly common to everyone within our generation.

I was born in 1961....to me tattoos were common older people.....those that fought in WWII and those that were in their glory years in the 50's....the greasers. Most were silly....like a cartoon character....they symbolized nothing. Growing up, I'd see them all the time on people and if you asked them about their tattoos, you'd always here the same exact answer....they'd tell you they got them when they were young and stupid. I graduated high school in 79 and like everyone else my age, none of us had tattoos....partly to be different from earlier generations and partly because of what the people that had them always told us.

This most recent generation that's in their 20's and early 30's has totally embraced tattoos. Many of the people I always saw that had them when I was growing up, aren't alive any more and if they are, they don't show their tattoos.....they're seniors and they're all covered up. The generations that loves them now, doesn't view them the way my generation did...they didn't see them on older people the way I did. It's a revival of something old that now makes them feel unique from the last couple of generations before them....and yet at the same time, it makes them all the look the same from somone olders point of view.

As far as the tattoos go, on one hand you don't see people with daffy duck on their arm any more so, to me that's good. They get tats that have some kind of meaning to them...that's good. On the other hand, like on the Kardashian's when the son came home with his fourth tattoo....this time it's of his father and it's on his back.....the mother screamed, ''My son's got a tattoo the size of Alabama on his back''.

Male or female, it doesn't matter, they get huge tattoos. Sometimes they're not that visible in work clothing...that's a good idea. Although sometimes women get huge tattoos all down their leg. I don't know what people are thinking when they get them on their face. When people get old, tattoos end up looking like a cartoon on silly putty....all saggy and distorted. They use a laser to remove them now instead of surgery...which looked worse than if they just kept it....but, you can still see where it was and I've been told the laser hurts three times worse than when you got the tattoo.

I would never want a tattoo....to me there's nothing that important or beautiful that I need to have it permanently copied onto my body, with two exceptions. I can see getting one in memory of a loved one or family member that died. I can also see getting one if I was in the military and had to go to war.....I would get one along with all the guys that fought next to me....all of us the same one....in memory of any of us that didn't return home.

People of this generation taht get them, all view them in a different way than I do. They're a good thing to them and because of that, they like getting more than one and they like seeing them on other people....that's cool, if that's what they like. The only thing is, will they always feel that way or when they get older will they tell younger people the same thing I used to hear from older people that had them. I was always pretty quiet growing up in New Jersey....not a rebel at all. Although at 19, I was living with my girlfriend in San Francisco and going to college, both of us with our parent's blessings....both of our parents were born in the 20's too. I'm 48 now and looking back, to when I was in my teens and 20's, I can say now even though I didn't think it then, I was naive. If tattoos were a really big in my generation and I got some when I was younger, knowing how much my way of thinking has changed, I'm not sure I would still feel the same way about the tattoos I got when I was younger.....and they're permanent.

I was just thinking, they're are people that commit to marriage after meeting what they declare to be their soulmate and a year later they're divorced already. I know there's a huge difference but till, it's hard to believe there are people like that can decide....commit....to getting a tattoo that they want on them for the rest of their life. If they can change their mind so quickly about something as important as their soulmate, what are the chances of them never feeling differently about the tattoo they got.

Oh....one other thing before I forget....ladies, what's with the lower back tattoo....why do you get to pick out what you'll never have to look at but, everyone else in your life will have to....whether they like it or not. I dated a girl that got one on her lower back. The guy that did it, screwed it up....the middle of it had a circular pattern and when he went to close up the circle as he drew it, he missed and overran where he started from. She told me he knocked off 50 bucks because of the mistake. She never saw it....I saw it all the time....like when we were intimate....and the only thing I saw was the mistake....my eyes were drawn right to it...never commented anything to her about it.

Old 06-27-2010, 10:33 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,439,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I currently know literally dozens of military members, mostly marines, who have leg tats.

Now that is sexy as hell especially if the guy has good legs!!!

Old 06-27-2010, 10:34 PM

15,069 posts, read 8,629,287 times
Quote:
War Vets are one thing. I think there are military rules that tattoos have to be hidden or not exposed.

Women with tattoos covering their skin takes away from natural beauty. This is the truth and the truth might hurt.

I don't want 20 year olds making this mistake that will effect the rest of their lives. Maybe someone reading this will not make this mistake.
I live in Austin, TX ... and I think there is a city ordinance that requires at least one tattoo ....

If you visited, you'd probably be appalled .... and we still wouldn't judge you so harshly.

Old 06-27-2010, 10:38 PM

15,069 posts, read 8,629,287 times
Quote:
I currently know literally dozens of military members, mostly marines, who have leg tats.
That's a lot of members to be familiar with.

Sorry .. I just couldn't let that one slip by

Old 06-27-2010, 10:43 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,256,089 times
Quote:
Funny, I was going to comment about spiritually ugly people who seem to negatively comment on them. As if they actually needed something to make them even more unattractive.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Right. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. So what's your point? If someone thinks tattoos are ugly it's not ok? They NEED to "see" the "beauty" in spite of the tattoo?

Who are you to tell people how to think?

Free thinking goes both ways sunshine! Freedom to dislike tattoos counts just as much as freedom to get all tatted up and love it and tell those who "negatively comment on them b/c those who do are spiritually ugly people".

Again? Who are YOU?

Old 06-28-2010, 09:58 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,677,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
Only The Maori of New Zealand should be allowed to have them. Those look cool and it is in their historical culture.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
The yakuza have them too.
The Maori are a people. The Yakuza are Japan's criminal mob. Quite a bit of difference IMO.

Old 06-28-2010, 12:59 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,450,045 times
Quote:
I have always known that tattoos look hideous. Many years ago it was only ex cons that had tattoos. About 10-15 years ago younger people started getting tattoos. During this time, I always said "you will never see a tattoo on this body." I always understood that they look ugly plastered on the skin and the people with tattoos look trashy. Before I was married I had a theory with women that always proved true each and every time. Any woman with a tattoo has has underlying issues and will always end up to be trouble. Tattoos just look terrible from the beginning. Literally every few months or years that the person grows older and more mature the tattoos look more and more ridiculous with every passing time frame. This paradigm shift in thinking is inevitable and once it starts to set the person with tattoos is going to feel more and more like a circus clown.
I definitely agree about the women having tatoos. I saw a young girl (in her 20's) that was completely covered from her neck down, complete sleeves and everything. Boy did that look horrible now and imagine what that beauty is going to look like naked when she's about 40! YIKES! There is an older woman at my job, in her 50's that has all sorts of tats, she looks horrendous! The blacks are all faded to a greenish color and the colors just aren't there anymore.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:02 PM

2,058 posts, read 3,303,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
Only The Maori of New Zealand should be allowed to have them. Those look cool and it is in their historical culture.
I've said this before, but I feel i'ts nessesary to say again. I am so scared at how many people think that just because they personally dislike something, others shouldn't be allowed to do it/it should be illegal.

Do people have no CLUE what the word "freedom" means???

Old 06-28-2010, 01:08 PM

1,173 posts, read 1,534,356 times
Quote:
Um, I disagree. I have a small flower on the top of my foot. I've had it for 6 years and I find it very easy to live a very professional and responsible life. I just debunked your theory. #fail

Old 06-28-2010, 01:08 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,450,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsong64 View Post
I've said this before, but I feel i'ts nessesary to say again. I am so scared at how many people think that just because they personally dislike something, others shouldn't be allowed to do it/it should be illegal.

Do people have no CLUE what the word "freedom" means???
I just think that pretty women are destroying their beauty when they over do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies