Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 10:19 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
This is war. Men die as a result of hostile fire.
But is it necessary? Did these men die for the right reasons, or the wrong reasons?

Quote:
Its unfortunate that our Military is not allowed to fight to win.
I've heard this argument before but it makes no sense. Killing more innocent civilians is not "fighting to win", and if that is what using more force will result in then thats what you are arguing in favor of.

Quote:
I wonder though. How many died in LA or Chicago last week?
Some might argue that Afganistan is more safe than some of our cities.
So find the most crime ridden city in America and then compare its homicide rate for the week to these 17 preventable deaths?

A most strange comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 10:23 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post
Hope you don't mind my adding these 3 brave Canadian soldiers to your list odanny.

Master Cpl. Kristal Giesebrecht > Ontario
Pvt. Andrew Miller > Ontario
Sgt. James MacNeil > Nova Scotia
And four Norwegians.

It is strange to see people who suppoted the effort suddenly turn into peace activists just because that hate the president.

Old 06-28-2010, 10:26 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
But is it necessary? Did these men die for the right reasons, or the wrong reasons?

I've heard this argument before but it makes no sense. Killing more innocent civilians is not "fighting to win", and if that is what using more force will result in then thats what you are arguing in favor of.

So find the most crime ridden city in America and then compare its homicide rate for the week to these 17 preventable deaths?

A most strange comparison.
The right reasons? Whose reasons? The politicians call the shots and it has always been that way. I served and was proud to do so. I got out when Clinton won. I didn't want to serve under anyone who hated the military.
I wouldn't have served under GWB either.
So whose reasons makes it right?
Fight to win. I think we should have learned a lesson in Vietnam. If you must go to war then fight to win. Otherwise don't go to war you are simply wasting lives.
The comparison.
While people faint and quiver at the loss of 17 good men, and I stress good men, they seem to forget that life in some of our big cities is far worse. In 9 years of 2 wars we have loss far less soldiers to hostile fire than we have civilians in this country to criminals. Perhaps instead of our gov focusing on nation building and saving everyone else we should be focused on saving ourselves.

Old 06-28-2010, 10:30 AM

Quote:
The right reasons? Whose reasons? The politicians call the shots and it has always been that way. I served and was proud to do so. I got out when Clinton won. I didn't want to serve under anyone who hated the military.
I wouldn't have served under GWB either.
So whose reasons makes it right?
Fight to win. I think we should have learned a lesson in Vietnam. If you must go to war then fight to win. Otherwise don't go to war you are simply wasting lives.
The comparison.
While people faint and quiver at the loss of 17 good men, and I stress good men, they seem to forget that life in some of our big cities is far worse. In 9 years of 2 wars we have loss far less soldiers to hostile fire than we have civilians in this country to criminals. Perhaps instead of our gov focusing on nation building and saving everyone else we should be focused on saving ourselves.

So then we can ultimately "win" in Afghanistan if we fight some other way?

What other way should we fight in Afghanistan in order to win, and what lessons from Vietnam need to be applied to Afghanistan in order to secure a "victory"?

Old 06-28-2010, 10:37 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:

Old 06-28-2010, 10:39 AM

Quote:
So then we can ultimately "win" in Afghanistan if we fight some other way?

What other way should we fight in Afghanistan in order to win, and what lessons from Vietnam need to be applied to Afghanistan in order to secure a "victory"?
First ask the right question.
1. Do we belong in Afghanistan?
2.Is Afghanistan worth the loss of even 1 American life?
A solid NO to both questions.
Lessons learned in Vietnam.
Let the Generals fight the war the way they know how.
How do you win the hearts and minds of people you have just bombed?
My view point is simple. Unless we can show beyond a doubt that we need to take military then there is no justification for said action.
Iraq? LOL what a waste.
Afghanistan. We toppled their gov and then stayed to force our own form of gov upon them. That never works when dealing with people of trible mentality and who have no sense of a National identity.

Old 06-28-2010, 10:41 AM

Quote:
First ask the right question.

Let the Generals fight the war the way they know how.

I'm wondering, from a strategic viewpoint, how the Generals were not allowed to fight the wars in Afghanistan or Iraq. Or even Vietnam.

Old 06-28-2010, 10:53 AM

Quote:
I'm wondering, from a strategic viewpoint, how the Generals were not allowed to fight the wars in Afghanistan or Iraq. Or even Vietnam.
Oh my you need to read more history.
LBJ: " We don't bomb an outhouse lesson I say so"
He had generals draw up a list of targets. LBJ started with the leats important and worked his way up. We lost the initative and allowed the North to build up huge inventories of weapons as a result.

Old 06-28-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Oh my you need to read more history.
LBJ: " We don't bomb an outhouse lesson I say so"
He had generals draw up a list of targets. LBJ started with the leats important and worked his way up. We lost the initative and allowed the North to build up huge inventories of weapons as a result.

I read lots of history, and it allows me to better frame the invasion and occupation of Afghanistan.

Just once I would like an answer to those who say "We need to let our Generals fight this war they want to" and we have done this. You need more troops, more funding, and more rockets and missiles, you get 'em.

But none of those things win wars. That is the history I've learned.

Many of those people in important positions who help shape foreign policy are ignorant of history, or ignore its lessons.

Old 06-28-2010, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post
Hope you don't mind my adding these 3 brave Canadian soldiers to your list odanny.

Master Cpl. Kristal Giesebrecht > Ontario
Pvt. Andrew Miller > Ontario
Sgt. James MacNeil > Nova Scotia
R.I.P. to these soldiers and peace to their loved ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies